Conspiracy Theory Climate Change

Remove this Banner Ad

I think everyone should have their own vegie patch.
Growing your own produce.

it will help with any crisis issues

Lols.

EU pushes on with plan to label gas, nuclear as green investments

'The European Union’s Brussels bureaucracy is pushing on with plans to classify nuclear energy and natural gas as green investments, provoking climate activists and pitting European governments against each other.

The controversial move could undermine the EU’s ambition for its “green taxonomy” – which defines what counts as a sustainable and climate-friendly investment – to become the global standard for financial markets.

Lols.

EU pushes on with plan to label gas, nuclear as green investments

'The European Union’s Brussels bureaucracy is pushing on with plans to classify nuclear energy and natural gas as green investments, provoking climate activists and pitting European governments against each other.

The controversial move could undermine the EU’s ambition for its “green taxonomy” – which defines what counts as a sustainable and climate-friendly investment – to become the global standard for financial markets.

I couldn't read that one, but i found this one.

It strikes me that an argument about whether things are "green" or not is a very non-scientific one.

Green = happy plants? Take a look at the area around Chernobyl. Plants like CO2 as well.
Pure CO2 is not a pollutant, as such.

If the goal is to prevent global warming caused by excess CO2 in the atmosphere, there is no valid reason that Nuclear Energy should not be included as a viable means to reduce CO2 emissions.

If someone wants to replace their Coal power station with a much cleaner gas station ( if they are built correctly they can produce the same electricity with only 1/4 of the emissions compared to the worst coal, 1/3 of the emissions compared to crude gas turbines ), then surely its helping.

However some people who got onboard the science, want to treat "green" like a religion and demand their version of perfection.

( Interesting to see that Tax Haven Luxembourg have jumped onboard the green wagon, a miniature country that doesn't need much energy, because all their money is from operations in other countries ).

Mercury thermometers have been phased out everywhere , you can't buy one any more. ( Mercury is nasty ).
Apparently the ( electronic ) RTD's have a faster response time. Mercury thermometers need the entire mass of mercury to heat up before a change in temperature will be registered, while the RTD's are more instant.
There would be the same effect recording minimum temperatures.

a) The RTD's are recording more accurate results.
b) Electronic instruments are far more capable than providing ongoing data , such as average temperature over a period of time. Mercury thermometers are just two plugs in a tube that get pushed by the mercury to provide max and min.
c) Pretty sure that its not within the BOM's charter to provide data for climate warming calculations. Anyone doing such calculations needs to look to the source of their data.

The BOM started recording temperatures in 1910. I know the instruments were changed at least once ( 1972 they went to metric ), probably more often. I'd be surprised if all the mercury thermometers had the same response times.

Scandal? This drama is going to disappear in a cloud of dust that smells remarkably like male bovine manure.

See i can be a sceptic too.

The BOM started recording temperatures in 1910.
It's different for different cities. 1910 was when "the newly formed Australian Bureau of Meteorology had established standardised equipment in many parts of the country", but Melbourne's official records go back to 1855, with unofficial records starting not long after settlement. I think it was about the same time for Sydney, then the younger cities followed over the subsequent decades. However, who knows how accurate measurements were in the old days?! Also, urban sprawl has obviously effected city temperatures over the years (Google "urban heat island"), so records are far from perfect, no matter what devices were used.

Incidentally, Melbourne's current stats have been coming from the Olympic Park weather station since about 2014, replacing the old one in Latrobe Street. The main reason it was moved was because the city's build-up eventually made wind measurements too inaccurate. It's my "casual observation" that the temperatures at Olympic Park tend to be a slightly lower.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back