Society/Culture Climbing Uluru to be banned in 2019.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-01/uluru-a-history-of-disrespect-atop-the-rock/9107750

The traditional owners have been opposed to people climbing this for some time.

I climbed it many years ago as a kid, probably in the last days of it being more popularly known as Ayres Rock. I don't recall it being a big deal back then, but there could have been some willful ignorance there.

Any older folks here recall if climbing was discouraged in previous decades?

I think it's sad that it has come to this. It shows either a failure to understand or respect a culture, or conversely a request that is unreasonable and seen as an affront to the freedoms for many people.

Have you climbed it? Would you still want to now? Should you be allowed to?

Personally, i think there are so many more interesting places in Australia to climb and explore, we can deal with one being off limits.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-01/uluru-a-history-of-disrespect-atop-the-rock/9107750

I climbed it many years ago as a kid, probably in the last days of it being more popularly known as Ayres Rock. I don't recall it being a big deal back then, but there could have been some willful ignorance there.

I think it's sad that it has come to this. It shows either a failure to understand or respect a culture, or conversely a request that is unreasonable and seen as an affront to the freedoms for many people.

Personally, i think there are so many more interesting places in Australia to climb and explore, we can deal with one being off limits.
Same, climbed it as a kid when it was Ayres Rock. No issues with it being off limits now, and agree plenty of other things to climb.

What a ******* joke that you can't climb Ayers Rock! What if I ignore it and climb it anyway? And here I was thinking that it was laughable that you have to pay a fee just to get into the area.
Really? Why? It’s sacred to them, it’s in the middle of nowhere, and there is comparable stuff to do elsewhere. Not a biggy mate.

Really? Why? It’s sacred to them, it’s in the middle of nowhere, and there is comparable stuff to do elsewhere. Not a biggy mate.
A meteorite from outer space is sacred to them? What a surprise. Especially considering people are stupid enough to pay them money just for the privilege of driving anywhere near it.

A meteorite from outer space is sacred to them? What a surprise. Especially considering people are stupid enough to pay them money just for the privilege of driving anywhere near it.
Hey whatever floats their boat.

I have no issue with it.

Go climb a proper mountain if you want an adventure like that.

What a ******* joke that you can't climb Ayers Rock! What if I ignore it and climb it anyway? And here I was thinking that it was laughable that you have to pay a fee just to get into the area.
I'm not going to let anyone walk on my local footy/cricket ground anymore.

I played there, kicked a few goals, and made some runs.

Its sacred to me......

Then why do you think it's ok to deny other people the opportunity to climb it? Btw, kids always say things like this are boring!
Hey if it bothers you that much go climb it then, I’m not fussed. I didn’t make up the rule, and it ain’t sacred to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are stupid enough to donate money to churches.. so why not.

I had a similar experience as you, knowing it as Ayres Rock and climbed it in my late teens.

It's a shame it has come to this but walking around the rock is just as enjoyable as climbing it. The view from the top is spectacular and provides a great perspective of how harsh our land can be.

The Uluru helicopter tours would probably like this decision as it gives them a monopoly but unsure that will deliver a better experience for all given the noise. I hope people stop and think about using this service as it will no doubt become an issue in itself. Oh and the airstrip should be moved further away from the rock as this is not only noise pollution but visual pollution.

Given the changing times, I'd respect the wishes of the locals but would climb it in a heart beat if they changed their minds.

Don’t really care about Uluru or climbing it, but I find it weird that people exalt this form of sacredness.

The other day I read that Dreamworld were disputing any liability for the deaths of the four people on that boat ride, but in their press release they made sure to mention they were having a smoking ceremony by the traditional owners to commemorate the deaths (or something to that effect).

Brought a wry smile from me. You can still try to hoodwink people with hocus pocus, so long as it appeals to right thinkers.

Don’t really care about Uluru or climbing it, but I find it weird that people exalt this form of sacredness.

The other day I read that Dreamworld were disputing any liability for the deaths of the four people on that boat ride, but in their press release they made sure to mention they were having a smoking ceremony by the traditional owners to commemorate the deaths (or something to that effect).

Brought a wry smile from me. You can still try to hoodwink people with hocus pocus, so long as it appeals to right thinkers.
It's the least we can do given how my ancestors from GB ****ed em.

What is the least we could do?
Let them have their sacred things without questioning. I mean geez, we let churches spring up over some guy we've never seen but supposedly rules our world.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back