Club records in the gym (bench, squat)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jimbos1

Team Captain
May 6, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Im interested to know how much the strongest AFL players bench and squat. Anyone know where i can find this?

I bet Josh Hunt is up there.

i heard he was a PT in geelong, kids wheels are mass wouldnt be surprised if he's putting up 4 plates
4 plates is 100kg so id be suprised if there were any mature players who could not do 1rm with this weight 100kg, As i would expect most to be pushing out 8 - 12 reps with this weight. Hunt should be pushing 140 - 160 at 1rm he weighs 101kg.

4 plates is 100kg so id be suprised if there were any mature players who could not do 1rm with this weight 100kg, As i would expect most to be pushing out 8 - 12 reps with this weight.

4 plates is 180kg. When someone says they are squatting/deading in terms of plates or wheels, they only are referring 1 side.

Hunt should be pushing 140 - 160 at 1rm he weighs 101kg.

At 100kg+ he should be pushing way more than 140. I'm mid 80's and can get 160 for reps.

Daily telegraph floated an article a while back with similar questions for NRL clubs, it was interesting.

I can recall some significant ones like Tom Learoyd-Lahrs squatting 220kg, and Kieran Foran having a 1RM on the bench of 170kg. Foran's a little bloke, he'd weigh no more than 90 kg.

In the Dar
Daily telegraph floated an article a while back with similar questions for NRL clubs, it was interesting.

I can recall some significant ones like Tom Learoyd-Lahrs squatting 220kg, and Kieran Foran having a 1RM on the bench of 170kg. Foran's a little bloke, he'd weigh no more than 90 kg.

In the Darren Locker book he talks about Dave Taylor when he was at the broncos he was not allowed to do weights because he would get to big, And after 9 months with no weights the big boys were having a BP comp he joined in and smashed them all if i can remember right 220 plus kg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

except footy players aren't powerlifters guys...

for a 100kg guy 140 isn't even 1.5 x bodyweight
the game is shifting towards leaner athletes, but i'd still expect an 80kg professional footballer to squat 140 and bench 100 as a base standard.
this kid was borderline either go to the UK to play or go to college and squatted 140@73 as a 16 year old

the game is shifting towards leaner athletes, but i'd still expect an 80kg professional footballer to squat 140 and bench 100 as a base standard.

Even I can bench and squat more then that! :p

I do know the Bulldogs have a relative strength test based on chin ups with 20kg plate, measured in reps - won by Jason Tutt at 20 reps.

I can just manage 20 reps (overgrasp) at just BW, sets are currently at 8,8,7,6 with 20kgs and I'm probbaly as strong as I ever have been (although 5 kgs lighter than 2 yrs ago).

this kid was borderline either go to the UK to play or go to college and squatted 140@73 as a 16 year old

hes now into powerliftinh

4 plates is 180kg. When someone says they are squatting/deading in terms of plates or wheels, they only are referring 1 side.

At 100kg+ he should be pushing way more than 140. I'm mid 80's and can get 160 for reps.

160kg for reps? How old are you? must be atleast 25

As a squat that shouldn't be hard though.

Anyone who's 100kgs + should have strong legs naturally. Mate of mine was walking around (since leaned up a bit) at over 100, would squat 100 without training.

So if you've trained properly for even 12 months, 140 shouldn't be unrealistic. Anyone who's a professional athlete with low bf%, I'd say 1.5 easily.

I neglected legs for too long (reasons, but it's still fact) and went from struggling to squat 60 (at 75bw) to pushing 90 for reps in under 6 weeks. I'd say 120 @ 80 should be doable for a person who hasn't trained squats in under a year. Ratio should hold for anyone who's over 18 no?

Talking about squats and 1 rep max........what do you guys consider a full squat for 1 rep max. Ass to the ground or at 90 degrees or somewhere in between?

the lowest you can make without going into lumbar flexion

Thanks, just having a quick read on lumbar flexion now. And im assuming the point where you can keep your back "straight" and not "curl" forwards. So if that is the case everyone would have a different point. For me it would be 3 inches or so above my ankles. I have recently decided to drop the weights on my squat and aim to get as low as possible and slightly higher reps, so instead of 3-5 reps @ 130-140kg, i'm doing 10-12 reps at 100kg and have felt a difference.

the lowest you can make without going into lumbar flexion

Thanks, just having a quick read on lumbar flexion now. And im assuming the point where you can keep your back "straight" and not "curl" forwards. So if that is the case everyone would have a different point. For me it would be 3 inches or so above my ankles. I have recently decided to drop the weights on my squat and aim to get as low as possible and slightly higher reps, so instead of 3-5 reps @ 130-140kg, i'm doing 10-12 reps at 100kg and have felt a difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back