Coburg-Fitzroy Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
I think a number of you now would have seen this article about the Coburg 'Tigers' and their current financial woes... http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-tents-standoff-20120620-20oju.html

I hark back to season 2000, when Coburg was known as the 'Coburg-Fitzroy Lions'.

How many of you supported this concept?

Did you go to any games and did you feel a passion for that side?

What were your thoughts when it was abandoned in 2001 for the 'Coburg Tigers'?

Would you support Coburg if (by some long-shot miracle) "Coburg-Fitzroy Lions" came back?

I thought it was interesting when it first happened and attended a couple of games, I wouldn't say I supported them though, more like getting a feel for it. When Richmond stepped in I thought that Richmond had dudded Fitzroy again.

If that longshot ever eventuated I'd rather watch the VAFA team (not that I get much chance to). With the VFL now being used as a feeder league to the AFL I can't see myself being interested.

I was never on the Cobroy bandwagon as I followed Preston back in the day. Then Carlton got involved and now it's the Northern Blues...
puke.gif

I couldn't see the Coburg-Fitzroy Lions ever working again for a variety of reasons. It would not particularly interest me if the club did strike up some sort of arrangement, and to be honest, I think it would be a poor move. I'd much prefer Fitzroy to focus its attention fully on the VAFA team and the junior teams.

The only idea that possibly interests me, with regards to Fitzroy being the VFL, is if we were to have some sort of arrangement with Collingwood, whereby their reserves players play in an at least partially Fitzroy branded team out of Victoria Park. However, it is worth adding that there would be zero chance of this happening!

I'm ambivalent about a Fitzroy involvement in the VFL these days, especially in light of Coburg's severance of ties with Richmond for next season and their re-use of the Lions mascot.

On one hand it'd be fantastic to have an element of Fitzroy in the VFL (as well as the AFL and the VAFA), but I'd be concerned that a VFL involvement would detract from what we're trying to do in the VAFA.

A sponsorship with a newly branded Coburg Lions for naming rights. (e.g Coburg-Fitzroy Lions) and maybe the wearing of the Fitzroy jumper for some VFL matches similar to what was done in 2000 in theory might be possible. I'd certainly join Coburg as a member if that was the case. But would I go watch their matches in preference to Fitzroy in the VAFA or Brisbane in the AFL?

Probably not.

The only idea that possibly interests me, with regards to Fitzroy being the VFL, is if we were to have some sort of arrangement with Collingwood, whereby their reserves players play in an at least partially Fitzroy branded team out of Victoria Park. However, it is worth adding that there would be zero chance of this happening!

I believe a similar arrangement was actually suggested by Collingwood once upon a time when Fitzroy was seeking out merger partners.

Collingwood offered a merger/takeover deal where the senior side would be known as the Collingwood Magpies and play in the AFL, whilst the reserves side would be known as the Fitzroy Lions and retain Fitzroy's jumper/song etc.

I believe a similar arrangement was actually suggested by Collingwood once upon a time when Fitzroy was seeking out merger partners.

Collingwood offered a merger/takeover deal where the senior side would be known as the Collingwood Magpies and play in the AFL, whilst the reserves side would be known as the Fitzroy Lions and retain Fitzroy's jumper/song etc.

Yeah, I think it might have even been less than that, such as the reserves team being called Collingwood-Fitzroy Magpies, with a small Lion logo on the shorts!

Come to think of it, maybe the Fitzroy Magpies could adopt a similar idea and wear the full Fitzroy uniform but put the magpie on the shorts (making sure that it is around the arse-end of the shorts!) :D ;)

I think a number of you now would have seen this article about the Coburg 'Tigers' and their current financial woes... http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tigers-tents-standoff-20120620-20oju.html

I hark back to season 2000, when Coburg was known as the 'Coburg-Fitzroy Lions'.

How many of you supported this concept?

Did you go to any games and did you feel a passion for that side?

What were your thoughts when it was abandoned in 2001 for the 'Coburg Tigers'?

Would you support Coburg if (by some long-shot miracle) "Coburg-Fitzroy Lions" came back?

Taking a look at the VFL ladder, and the imminent exit of North Ballarat, it sure looks like Coburg are very very vulnerable...

Maybe this concept should be re-visited.

Coburg-Fitzroy Lions playing out of Brunswick St. Oval.

The difference this time around is that the VFL is now full of the old VFL (AFL named) teams. Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Richmond, Footscray, Casey Demons, Box Hill Hawks, Northern Blues, and from next year North Melbourne.

Looks like my boys the Saints are the only AFL club that won't have a VFL branded reserves team - perhaps Sandringham could wear the Saints colours when they play Fitzroy?

I'd say that's a big difference to nearly twenty years ago.

A merger with the VAFA club perhaps?

Looks like my boys the Saints are the only AFL club that won't have a VFL branded reserves team - perhaps Sandringham could wear the Saints colours when they play Fitzroy?

I'd say that's a big difference to nearly twenty years ago.

A merger with the VAFA club perhaps?

It won't be out of the Brunswick Street Oval, as the ground isnt up to VFL standard.

Nor do I think the Fitzroy Football Club will want to merge with the Coburg Football Club, where it would likely be a junior partner.

However it might work as a re-branding by Coburg with the wearing of the Fitzroy 'FFC' jumper for some matches, and the addition of the Fitzroy 'name' playing out of the Coburg City Oval. Saturday games at the Brunswick Street with THE Fitzroy Football Club and Sunday games in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back