Coburg lions to go stand alone in 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

West_Coast_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Is there any chance of fitzroy alligning with coburg like 2000?

Coburg needs 800,000 to enter side in 2014. It would be great to see fitzroy partner with them again

Is there any chance of fitzroy alligning with coburg like 2000?

Coburg needs 800,000 to enter side in 2014. It would be great to see fitzroy partner with them again

While it would be great, I don't think it is likely to happen, as Fitzroy are putting all their energies into getting into A-Grade of the VAFA.

However I don't know why Coburg don't think outside the square a bit and make their club more appealing to Brisbane supporters.

For example for Season 2014 why don't Coburg approach the Brisbane Lions about some sort of mutual partnership?

So just for argument's sake each club would do the following as part of that partnership.

Coburg:
- Would revert to their traditional name: Coburg Lions (or maybe Coburg-Fitzroy Lions)
- Would play their home games in the VFL in Fitzroy's old pre-season jumper (chosen because of the gold traditional Fitzroy Lion logo worn by Brisbane between 1997 and 2009. ) The away games would be played in Coburg's traditional guernsey (with a gold Fitzroy Lion added to the breast)
- Victorian Brisbane Lions members would automatically become Coburg Football Club members and a percentage of Brisbane's Victorian membership revenue would go to Coburg.
- One Brisbane Lions director would sit on Coburg's board of directors in an advisory capacity.

Advantages:
- Coburg remains a stand alone club with its own board.
- Coburg's membership rises.
- Coburg's revenue streams increase
- Coburg's crowd increases - swelled by Melbourne based members of the Lions attending as part of their membership.
- Coburg won't have to worry about fitting Brisbane's reserve players into their senior own side or worrying about Brisbane's game plan or game style. The autonomy of the Coburg coaching staff is preserved.

Brisbane
- would provide sponsorship to Coburg (that in part helps raise the mooted $800,000 to join the VFL)
- includes in their Victorian membership free entry into 5-6 Coburg home games per season and reduced entry for all other games. Adult entry into VFL games in 2012 was $10.00. Perhaps a full Victorian membership might sell for $150, of which Coburg get a 30% cut equating to $45 a membership going to Coburg and $105 to Brisbane. 4,000 Victorian members means $180,000 going to Coburg on top of their existing revenue streams.
- sells Coburg merchandise in its Victorian shop and on their website with all proceeds from that merchandise going to the Coburg Football Club.

Advantages for Brisbane
- Allows greater exposure in Melbourne for the Lions brand.
- Allows Brisbane to offer adequate 'compensation' if Melbourne games are reduced to below six.
- Allows Brisbane to offer a better Victorian membership package of 11-12 games (5-6 in the AFL and 5-6 in the VFL)

I'll add more as I think of it.

How the Fitzroy Football Club fit into this, I'll have to think about.

The best thing Coburg can do is get out of the VFL and join the Essendon & District comp or the VAFA...far less overheads, ensuring financial viability and long term survival.

I followed the Coburg-Fitzroy venture back in the past and whilst it was a good club to follow, it's nothing compared to the wonderful football club playing at Brunswick Street...if the Lions want to enhance their supporter base in Melbourne, they're far better ploughing some hard earned into a permanent pub/social facility/museum than propping up Coburg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh lol looks like u like ur beer haha, thats one awsome jumper. I hope the lions can come back at vfl level. The crowd here was pretty decent than what coburg get these days.

While it would be great, I don't think it is likely to happen, as Fitzroy are putting all their energies into getting into A-Grade of the VAFA.

However I don't know why Coburg don't think outside the square a bit and make their club more appealing to Brisbane supporters.

For example for Season 2014 why don't Coburg approach the Brisbane Lions about some sort of mutual partnership?

So just for argument's sake each club would do the following as part of that partnership.

Coburg:
- Would revert to their traditional name: Coburg Lions (or maybe Coburg-Fitzroy Lions)
- Would play their home games in the VFL in Fitzroy's old pre-season jumper (chosen because of the gold traditional Fitzroy Lion logo worn by Brisbane between 1997 and 2009. ) The away games would be played in Coburg's traditional guernsey (with a gold Fitzroy Lion added to the breast)
- Victorian Brisbane Lions members would automatically become Coburg Football Club members and a percentage of Brisbane's Victorian membership revenue would go to Coburg.
- One Brisbane Lions director would sit on Coburg's board of directors in an advisory capacity.

Advantages:
- Coburg remains a stand alone club with its own board.
- Coburg's membership rises.
- Coburg's revenue streams increase
- Coburg's crowd increases - swelled by Melbourne based members of the Lions attending as part of their membership.
- Coburg won't have to worry about fitting Brisbane's reserve players into their senior own side or worrying about Brisbane's game plan or game style. The autonomy of the Coburg coaching staff is preserved.

Brisbane
- would provide sponsorship to Coburg (that in part helps raise the mooted $800,000 to join the VFL)
- includes in their Victorian membership free entry into 5-6 Coburg home games per season and reduced entry for all other games. Adult entry into VFL games in 2012 was $10.00. Perhaps a full Victorian membership might sell for $150, of which Coburg get a 30% cut equating to $45 a membership going to Coburg and $105 to Brisbane. 4,000 Victorian members means $180,000 going to Coburg on top of their existing revenue streams.
- sells Coburg merchandise in its Victorian shop and on their website with all proceeds from that merchandise going to the Coburg Football Club.

Advantages for Brisbane
- Allows greater exposure in Melbourne for the Lions brand.
- Allows Brisbane to offer adequate 'compensation' if Melbourne games are reduced to below six.
- Allows Brisbane to offer a better Victorian membership package of 11-12 games (5-6 in the AFL and 5-6 in the VFL)

I'll add more as I think of it.

How the Fitzroy Football Club fit into this, I'll have to think about.

If they go alone, they'll more than likely revert back to the Lions, as they should be, theres already Werribee Tigers,then in 2014 there will be Richmond. If and when Coburg go back to becoming the Lions, I'll take more of an interst in them.

If they go alone, they'll more than likely revert back to the Lions, as they should be, theres already Werribee Tigers,then in 2014 there will be Richmond. If and when Coburg go back to becoming the Lions, I'll take more of an interst in them.
Coburg FC VFA were called the Lions well before Fitzroy changed from the Gorillas in the early 1960s

Coburg FC VFA were called the Lions well before Fitzroy changed from the Gorillas in the early 1960s

Just a bit of history:

I just looked up Maroon and Blue by Adam Muyt - chapter 'Animal Antics' - apparently Fitzroy went by the nickname of the Gorillas from 1939 to 1956, however I don't think it was ever an official nickname (I could be wrong but that is what Bill Stephen seems to suggest... "Fitzroy people and the Fitzroy club never took too kindly to the Gorillas. Gorillas was used mainly by opposition supporters, really."). Of course we were originally the Maroons, and always the Royboys as well.

1957 is when Fitzroy officially became the Lions. Coburg were called the Lions before that, and the book Maroon and Blue said there was a suggestion we become the VFL's Lions, so we probably do have Coburg to thank.

The original Lion was different (hereldic / standing upright) to what has now become known as the 'Fitzroy Lion', which was introduced in 1965 and kept the same throughout the rest of Fitzroy's time in the VFL / AFL (and was also used by the Brisbane Lions until at least 2010 when it was relegated to a supporting role to the new 'Paddle Pop' Lion [a Supreme Court stoush between Fitzroy and Brisbane ended in a negotiated outcome]).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back