Coffee

Remove this Banner Ad

Stumbled onto a small roaster in Kensington when I needed to find aeropress filters.

They have some amazing beans. Seem to be mostly a roaster but have a little area set up where you can buy beans direct - https://www.rumblecoffee.com.au/

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Queensland State of Origin
Started drinking instant given the circumstances but its just s**t. Bought a Hario cold brew flask and what an investment!

If you’re ever forced to drink instant coffee the trick is to put a little bit of milk in first and make a paste, then add the hot water.

If you don’t then the boiling water burns it and makes it bitter.

Much nicer this way.

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Get a moccamaster. Best black coffee you will ever have. Need to get beans roasted for filter though.

got a new wiz bang breville that i need to work out how to drive. keen to fu** off the the old pod machine thats for sure

I've got the Breville Bambino Plus and it beats 7/10 coffees that I'd buy from a cafe. Great investment.

patterns

Rookie
Dec 31, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Been using an Aeropress for a while and very pleased with results, so I'd recommend that if you're not into buying a machine etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Been using an Aeropress for a while and very pleased with results, so I'd recommend that if you're not into buying a machine etc.
Aeropress at work and moccamaster at home with my baratza grinder. I'm not an espresso drinker apart from when I go to cafes without batch/filter options.

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Bambino plus - super solid cost to benefit machine. Unless you want to drop $1k on a dual boiler, that’s my choice of machine

Aeropresses are also sick. As too are moccamasters. Although I recommend the breville precision brewer over it

Quality Grinders are the key. I’ve got a baratza Sette 270wi and a Helor 101 hand grinder. Don’t need anything else ever again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
If I wanted to spend ~$500-$800 on a mini barista set up, where would my money be best spent?

200-300 on a machine, the rest on a good grinder. Probably get a breville bambino on sale - you’d be looking at about 350. Then spend 450 on a baratza Sette 270

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bambino plus - super solid cost to benefit machine. Unless you want to drop $1k on a dual boiler, that’s my choice of machine

Aeropresses are also sick. As too are moccamasters. Although I recommend the breville precision brewer over it

Quality Grinders are the key. I’ve got a baratza Sette 270wi and a Helor 101 hand grinder. Don’t need anything else ever again
I'm looking for a good grinder soon as a birthday present for myself.
Interesting you mention that brand

The Baratza brand came up in our reporting more often than any other.
I hadn't heard of them until I started researching, but that's what I'll probably go for

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
The encore is great for my manual brewing but not espresso pulling. Need to pay more $ for an espresso grinder.
Cheers, I just have an aeropress at home (and the office) so until I get a larger machine it should suffice. I've only got a cheaper blade grinder at the moment.

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Cheers, I just have an aeropress at home (and the office) so until I get a larger machine it should suffice. I've only got a cheaper blade grinder at the moment.
Encore will be perfect. Grind setting 12-16 for aeropress and 16-20 for manual or moccamaster.

Matty_G

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
If I wanted to spend ~$500-$800 on a mini barista set up, where would my money be best spent?

Recently bought the Breville Barista Pro which will be around the top of your price range. Very happy with it so far (approx 2-3 months in).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back