Collingwood Almanac 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Knightmare on Darcy Moore, I know you have mentioned he is more of a negating defender when he has played CHB in TAC Cup. Is this more because of his playing style / ability or the fact he was playing on there number 1 tall? Reason I ask, can you see him playing games over the next few years as the 3rd tall? Or is he not athletic enough for that type of role

Hugh Beasley for Oakleigh takes the best forward and the deep forward - and probably is the best negating key defender in the TAC Cup.

Moore plays mostly CHB and mostly on that second best key forward for Oakleigh.

With Moore while he plays a tight checking gamestyle he doesn't seem to have that ability to leave his man to take intercept marks with any frequently or get involved meaningfully in rebound. It's like Nathan Brown. Sure you can play him at CHB. And he can limit his mans impact but even if you tell him to rebound, it's not part of his game.
There is the chance Moore adds that, there is still time but I certainly haven't seen it so until he shows us that, it's not a feature of his game.

Hey Knightmare any Vic Private school kids shaping as possible draftees for the 2015 draft?

As a rough guideline for next year. Those unlisted are outside chances but still worth watching if you're looking at the APS boys.

Brighton Grammar:
Kyle Parsons - draft chance
Jordan Matera - draft chance
Nicholas Pavlou

Carey Grammar:
Ben Crocker - strong chance
Madigan Quinlan
Jack Colquhoun

Caulfield Grammar:
Theo Thompson - draft chance
Jesse Toniolo
Harry Witts - draft chance
Nathan Peterson

Geelong College:
Charles Curnow - strong chance

Geelong Grammar:
Lockey McCarthney
Bailey Biggs - draft chance
Jamieson Sheahan - strong chance

Haileybury:
Kieran Collins - draft chance
Joshua Steen
Luke Globan
Corey Rich

Melbourne Grammar:
Tom Cameron
Andrew Tashevski-Beckwith

St Kevins:
James Corboy
Jack Firns
Xavier Morgan
Lachlan Walker

Scotch:
Thomas Anderson

Xavier:
Patrick Phillips
Jack Whitehead - draft chance
Campbell Lane
Nicholas Pirrie

Goddard Langdon ed willis, all from same school

Tom Wilkinson also from Melbourne Grammar and is a draft chance.

But there have been some good draft crops from a few schools.

At APS level the best I can recall was that 2012 Carey team - going full Haileybury on us with all those scholarship kids.

Macrae (pick 6)
Jaksch (pick 12)
Hrovat (pick 21)
Viney (pick 26 f/s)
Ashby (pick 34)
Matthew Haynes (was touted a top 5 pick that year but overlooked - not elevating his game as expected but terrific tall linebreaker)
--
Our own Darcy Moore as an u16 at the time also was on that same team holding down CHB and was capable in that role as a stopper. Terrific private school team if ever I've seen one.

Knight I know nick Perrie and theo Thompson what do you think if them? Also do you know any 2016 private school prospects?

Josh Simpson DFA?

The media thought in his draft year that Collingwood were into Simpson.

Simpson has probably done his dash and if you can't make it under Ross Lyon who is a terrific coach it's against the odds he makes it elsewhere. The professionalism doesn't seem to be there and that's not likely to change greatly in our program and with few leaders.

Nonetheless he is a good talent so you'd hope the club interview him and do their due diligence on him as he would be a list fit in so much as he has pace/skill and is the dynamic type of outside player we could use.

Even so if everything checked out more likely he'd only be suitable as a rookie.

Knight I know nick Perrie and theo Thompson what do you think if them? Also do you know any 2016 private school prospects?

The 2016 relevant prospects, no idea. Don't watch the u16s.

Perrie I'm not aware of.

Thompson has played some TAC Cup games mostly through the first half of the year but haven't seen a whole lot of him.

The media thought in his draft year that Collingwood were into Simpson.

Simpson has probably done his dash and if you can't make it under Ross Lyon who is a terrific coach it's against the odds he makes it elsewhere. The professionalism doesn't seem to be there and that's not likely to change greatly in our program and with few leaders.
Ball did well when he left because of Ross Lyons;)

Ball also did well at St Kilda under Lyon but didn't consistently receive the minutes that he should to maximise his production.

True and I guess also the Previous Coach Grant Thomas played him when he should not of also buggered him.

Though I think Simpson leaving is more about him then Lyon

I think Hine must've known that Aish is looking to leave, hence the early strong stance on asking for a player along with pick 5

Aish looking to leave?

At Collingwood or Brisbane it's hard to see him looking to leave. All indications as far as I'm aware with Aish have always been that he would stay, regardless of where he landed last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KM, on Jarrod Pickett, Is he a natural wingman type or an outside centre square midfielder or is he a forward that plays allot of midfield?

KM, on Jarrod Pickett, Is he a natural wingman type or an outside centre square midfielder or is he a forward that plays allot of midfield?

Pickett for me is a natural wingman. Just a terrific linebreaker you want to give as much outside space to as possible. He can play on a forward flank or push at times into the front half and hit the scoreboard but he looks best up the field.

Think of Pickett as being able to play a similar role to Lewis Jetta. He doesn't have the same penetration on his kick but otherwise they are largely on and the same in terms of role and the types of things they can do out on the field.

Pickett for me is a natural wingman. Just a terrific linebreaker you want to give as much outside space to as possible. He can play on a forward flank or push at times into the front half and hit the scoreboard but he looks best up the field.

Think of Pickett as being able to play a similar role to Lewis Jetta. He doesn't have the same penetration on his kick but otherwise they are largely on and the same in terms of role and the types of things they can do out on the field.

Would Pickett's inside game be better than Jetta's or have the scope to be better?

Aish looking to leave?

At Collingwood or Brisbane it's hard to see him looking to leave. All indications as far as I'm aware with Aish have always been that he would stay, regardless of where he landed last year.
It looks to me as though he will leave Brisbane when his contract is finished, probably to Adelaide. Brisbane have tried to resign him a few times already.

It looks to me as though he will leave Brisbane when his contract is finished, probably to Adelaide. Brisbane have tried to resign him a few times already.
They've been trying to re-sign him since April. He's just delayed talks again till the end of preseason.

If he delays talks again next year then the Brions will be getting very nervous.

Would Pickett's inside game be better than Jetta's or have the scope to be better?

Slightly, he can win some of his own ball, but he is still a guy you want on the outside.

Maybe, but he could just as easily be hoping to maximise the money he gets by waiting with a strong second season.

I dont know if hes managed by pickering but i would definatly be getting nervous if he was.
"Aish's manager Liam Pickering" http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-21/lions-confident-on-aish

Whilst I agree with KM's comment that Aish could just be looking to maximise his value with a strong 2nd season it seems strange to delay until pre season - can't see what would have changed by then so I expect the 'at least' part to come into play and won't feel sorry for Lions if they get nervous. Hope Aish drags it out as long as possible whichever way he goes.

"Aish's manager Liam Pickering" http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-21/lions-confident-on-aish

Whilst I agree with KM's comment that Aish could just be looking to maximise his value with a strong 2nd season it seems strange to delay until pre season - can't see what would have changed by then so I expect the 'at least' part to come into play and won't feel sorry for Lions if they get nervous. Hope Aish drags it out as long as possible whichever way he goes.

If you were seriously 50-50 about 2 players. I would look at their management team to help part of the decision. Why would you want a player with pickering or conners as manager if you could get someone of the same talent who isnt a money hungry pig putting ideas of leaving into your head!

Hi Knightmare.

Interestingly Langford played the season as a 17 year old and doesn't turn 18 until December so he's one of the youngest in this draft.

He's approximately 8 months younger than Laverde.

Could he be the Hine special at 5?

P.S-What is the cut off date for eligibility for this seasons draft?

Hey KM, any nuggets of gold in the delisted players?

There is occasionally some players that are worth the risk post delisting that fill needs, provides depth or simply deserve a chance and that are going to be superior options to draftees. In our case experienced bodies can help.

Any of these names worth considering as rookies or delisted free agent additions:

1. Lewis Johnston - I am a fan of this guy, only 23, squeezed out of Adel due to forward depth plus some persistent injuries. One of the better kicks in the AFL. I personally think he can be damaging played back instead of forward in a Josh Drummond type role. Must pass a medical though.

2. Shaun McKernan - not sure what happened to him as he was promising, never had an opportunity. Not sure on him, purely depth player.

3. Mitch Robinson - I am employing the no DK rule here. However, can be an impact player if we had balls to pick him. Unfortunately too much baggage, he is really on the nose and suspect there is more to his behaviour than the public knows.

4. Josh Simpson - Only putting up as he was a fan fave in his draft year, wasted talent along the lines of Dayle Garlett. A flight risk, but undeniable talent...maybe needs years in the WAFL to sort himself.

5. Mitch Brown - Keen on peoples thoughts on him. He has some great size & was surprised he was delisted by the Cats but they
added Stanley, Clark and have Vardy returning so probably too many competing talls, also he had injury woes. I think he is a great option for us as I am always concerned what we would do should the durable Cloke go down. This guy can play a key position role, dominant in VFL and deserves an AFL spot somewhere IMO.

6. Taylor Hunt - A very average player but a trier and has potential to tag effectively which is relevant now Caff is hurt. Young enough to improve.

7. Jack Hutchins - a squeezed out Sun who is an effective defender, probably not right for our list given depth here.

8. Derick Wanganeen - never going to make the Hawks best 22 as they are full of quick talented smalls. The games I have seen of him he was very elusive, very handy and fits a list need. I had Jeff Garlett pencilled to that role but I think it still needs filling and not sure the draft will do it for us. The Hawks tried to turn him into a defender but he is clearly to me a small forward. His defensive pressure is good and is very much a one touch player.

9. Clint Jones - as a tagger perhaps, adds experienced body

Out of those I would seriously consider Johnston (after Bucks gets the inside word from old mate Sando), Mitch Brown and Wanganeen.

Hey KM, any nuggets of gold in the delisted players?

There is occasionally some players that are worth the risk post delisting that fill needs, provides depth or simply deserve a chance and that are going to be superior options to draftees. In our case experienced bodies can help.

Any of these names worth considering as rookies or delisted free agent additions:

1. Lewis Johnston - I am a fan of this guy, only 23, squeezed out of Adel due to forward depth plus some persistent injuries. One of the better kicks in the AFL. I personally think he can be damaging played back instead of forward in a Josh Drummond type role. Must pass a medical though.

2. Shaun McKernan - not sure what happened to him as he was promising, never had an opportunity. Not sure on him, purely depth player.

3. Mitch Robinson - I am employing the no DK rule here. However, can be an impact player if we had balls to pick him. Unfortunately too much baggage, he is really on the nose and suspect there is more to his behaviour than the public knows.

4. Josh Simpson - Only putting up as he was a fan fave in his draft year, wasted talent along the lines of Dayle Garlett. A flight risk, but undeniable talent...maybe needs years in the WAFL to sort himself.

5. Mitch Brown - Keen on peoples thoughts on him. He has some great size & was surprised he was delisted by the Cats but they
added Stanley, Clark and have Vardy returning so probably too many competing talls, also he had injury woes. I think he is a great option for us as I am always concerned what we would do should the durable Cloke go down. This guy can play a key position role, dominant in VFL and deserves an AFL spot somewhere IMO.

6. Taylor Hunt - A very average player but a trier and has potential to tag effectively which is relevant now Caff is hurt. Young enough to improve.

7. Jack Hutchins - a squeezed out Sun who is an effective defender, probably not right for our list given depth here.

8. Derick Wanganeen - never going to make the Hawks best 22 as they are full of quick talented smalls. The games I have seen of him he was very elusive, very handy and fits a list need. I had Jeff Garlett pencilled to that role but I think it still needs filling and not sure the draft will do it for us. The Hawks tried to turn him into a defender but he is clearly to me a small forward. His defensive pressure is good and is very much a one touch player.

9. Clint Jones - as a tagger perhaps, adds experienced body

Out of those I would seriously consider Johnston (after Bucks gets the inside word from old mate Sando), Mitch Brown and Wanganeen.

Lewis Johnston I'd take. Funnily enough he was used from Sydney to secure Tony Armstrong.

Shaun Mckernan has had opportunity and didn't take it with both hands. Pass.

Mitch Robinson, we don't need another player who can't kick. Also wouldn't fit our culture.

Mitch Brown I'd take.

Taylor Hunt, maybe. We have allot of triers on our team.

Jack Hutchins could be a good third tall defender. Maybe.

Derick Wangeneen I'd take.

Clint Jones maybe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back