Collingwood and Richmond - who has the greater supporter base

Who has the greater supporter base?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That's all you have

Shame the thread isn't titled Who has the greater membership

Shame they don't turn up to games

Shame RFC doesn't separate memberships from merchandise revenue in their annual reports - wonder why

Shame the MCG doesn't provide kitty litter for these 'members'

That’s right.. title thread “ who has the most likes on Twitter”
title thread “ who had the biggest crowd in 1932 “

Give us a break

Why aren’t the Tiger flogs outnumbering Collingwood at games if they have so many more members?

A greater supporter base would surely turn up right?

Why aren’t the Tiger flogs outnumbering Collingwood at games if they have so many more members?

A greater supporter base would surely turn up right?

Problem is that their is no evidence which shows Richmond have more supporters then Collingwood!!! Collingwood’s have more followers on twitter, instagram, Facebook, Roy Morgan polls, SuperCoach and 2019 attendance by over 100,000 after 16 rounds!!

I know you don’t want to cherry pick so how about head to head? That should be fair
View attachment 701437

Well since it's going to change round to round there won't be anything definitive until end of season.

FWIW I've already said in this thread I agree Collingwood are one of the biggest clubs but with this thread being in bay13 I'm not taking it seriously

Problem is that their is no evidence which shows Richmond have more supporters then Collingwood!!! Collingwood’s have more followers on twitter, instagram, Facebook, Roy Morgan polls, SuperCoach and 2019 attendance by over 100,000 after 16 rounds!!

lol your hilarious. I've never seen anyone cling so vehemently to social media stats before. You do realise there is a generation outside the millennial bracket that don't use social media that watch the footy?

Well since it's going to change round to round there won't be anything definitive until end of season.

FWIW I've already said in this thread I agree Collingwood are one of the biggest clubs but with this thread being in bay13 I'm not taking it seriously

lol your hilarious. I've never seen anyone cling so vehemently to social media stats before. You do realise there is a generation outside the millennial bracket that don't use social media that watch the footy?

So are you saying Richmond have an older supporter base then Collingwood, Essendon and hawthorn then?

I'd say a 70k lead with 8 games to go is fairly definitive, especially since you have GCS, GWS and Brisbane, the 3 lowest-drawing clubs in the league, to come. Good news is you have one guaranteed blockbuster crowd - against the mighty Pies (our home game)

We play Hawthorn, WCE and Essendon - 3 of the 6 highest-drawing clubs

We'll easily be more than 100k ahead of you by the end of the season

You do realise there is a generation outside the millennial bracket that don't use social media that watch the footy?

"Richmond has set a new benchmark this year with over 100,000 signed-up members, and this figure looks set to grow in future years when one considers of the four key finals contenders compared today that Richmond has the highest proportion of supporters in the key Under 25 demographic at 20% ahead of Collingwood on 17%, West Coast Eagles on 16% and the Sydney Swans on only 10%. In contrast to the ‘Yellow & Black’ at least a fifth of the supporters of the Eagles (23%), Swans (21%) and Pies (20%) are aged 65 years old or over compared to only 14% of Tigers supporters" :tearsofjoy:

Richmond has the highest proportion of supporters in the key Under 25 demographic at 20% ahead of Collingwood on 17%, West Coast Eagles on 16% and the Sydney Swans on only 10%.
What about hawthorn and their extended family membership packages?
Don’t they have double the kids compared to Richmond & Collingwood?

So are you saying Richmond have an older supporter base then Collingwood, Essendon and hawthorn then?

My point is not everyone uses social media, and I've never seen anyone try to use this as a reference before

I'd say a 70k lead with 8 games to go is fairly definitive, especially since you have GCS, GWS and Brisbane, the 3 lowest-drawing clubs in the league, to come. Good news is you have one guaranteed blockbuster crowd - against the mighty Pies (our home game)

We play Hawthorn, WCE and Essendon - 3 of the 6 highest-drawing clubs

We'll easily be more than 100k ahead of you by the end of the season

"Richmond has set a new benchmark this year with over 100,000 signed-up members, and this figure looks set to grow in future years when one considers of the four key finals contenders compared today that Richmond has the highest proportion of supporters in the key Under 25 demographic at 20% ahead of Collingwood on 17%, West Coast Eagles on 16% and the Sydney Swans on only 10%. In contrast to the ‘Yellow & Black’ at least a fifth of the supporters of the Eagles (23%), Swans (21%) and Pies (20%) are aged 65 years old or over compared to only 14% of Tigers supporters" :tearsofjoy:

I guess we'll see. Up until now we've played less games at the MCG and only had 6 home games compared to your 8. We have 7 games at the MCG to finish our season.

It’s got to be home crowd for a true indication

Exactly!!

Oh us over 35 know how to use it, plenty of us just choose not to because it's garbage

You know BigFooty is by definition social media, right?

Facebook claim more than 75% of people aged over 13 in Australia use their product, and by far their highest age group is 25-34yos. So, 3/4 of the population use it, Richmond have more younger members and less older members than Collingwood; therefore your motion to exclude SM data is denied

Apart from club memberships (which not all fans can afford) and game attendance (which not all fans can attend), how else would you measure a club's supporter base?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know BigFooty is by definition social media, right? Facebook claim more than 75% of people aged over 13 in Australia use their product, and by far their highest age group is 25-34yos

Apart from club memberships (which not all fans can afford) and game attendance (which not all fans can attend), how else would you measure a club's supporter base?

We're arguing semantics, by social media I'm specifically referring to Twitter and Facebook

Facebook can loosely claim whatever they want, doesn't make it fact. There would be plenty of duplicate accounts, multiple profiles and a large amount of dormant/deactivated records too.

I wouldn't be using facebook (or twitter) to measure anything

There would be plenty of duplicate accounts, multiple profiles and a large amount of dormant/deactivated records too

You can say that, doesn't make it fact. The measure is "active users" so dormant and deactivated accounts wouldn't be counted. Even allowing for a large margin of error/exaggeration I think it's safe to say that more than half of the Australian population aged 13 and over use FB, so it's a statistically valid sample and then some. I can't think of any reason to say that more Collingwood fans than Richmond fans would use it, if anything it should be the reverse. So it's also proportionately representative of both clubs

I asked what you would use, not what you wouldn't. Clearly there are people who are fans of both clubs who are neither members nor attend games; people who live in the country, interstate or overseas for example

We're arguing semantics, by social media I'm specifically referring to Twitter and Facebook

Facebook can loosely claim whatever they want, doesn't make it fact. There would be plenty of duplicate accounts, multiple profiles and a large amount of dormant/deactivated records too.

ahem

Oh and hands up anyone who got over a 120,000 people into the MCG ☝

Biggest H&A Crowds.jpg

Last edited:
Tiggers to be 4th in attendance behind Pies, Dons and Wiggles by the end of the year

Richmond fans really should stop getting excited over pet members. In Victoria the are well behind Collingwood and Essendon in terms of nationwide support and if Carlton became a power club on the field again they will easily overtake Richmond as the 3rd biggest Victorian club.

After 17 rounds Collingwood are over 130,000 in attendance’s in front of Richmond and have over 100,000 more followers on social media.

Richmond are a big club but honestly Collingwood and Essendon are everywhere in Australia

Back