Discussion Collingwood and Viatel

Remove this Banner Ad

Pic posted by another member

image.jpg

image-jpg.17119

I remember the logo on the back of the jumper was the same as this player issue training shirt
$_57.JPG

A mate of mine has a Viatel jumper - and he had to pay through the nose.
Amazing how a patch on a jumper that had been 'Spicers' for so long increases its demand...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Check this footage out. Viatel pr0n!

OMG, this was the game I had taped as a youngster! Glad to see someone didn't tape over theirs, those indents take me back
Distinctly remember that one handed screamer at 14:49

Viatel bump. Sorry I posted earlier, decided against it then curiosity got the better of me. Just wanted to the forum's brains.

Got this off eBay. I don't have it in my hands yet so hard for me to answer questions but I'm going off the pics. Was advertised as a 2012 jumper :sweatsmile:.

- Primus, AFL and Adidas logos appear to be patches on the front.
- Viatel sublimated on the back but with no black border around it, as there seems to be in other pics I've seen. It also sits lower than it appeared to in game pics, and the gradient slightly different.
- I can't tell if the number is sublimated or heat-pressed based off pics. Could well be the former, assuming the latter for now. Definitely not stitched.
- Size is small. Seems to be polyester, rather than sportswool, and no collar (sportswool seemed to still offer collars). The tags do all check out against my 98 Freo away Guernsey (also polyester, also Adidas)

Has anyone ever seen one like this before? Did the pies ever wear this sponsor combo in a game? I'm wondering if it's a prototype, a short-lived retail, or a fake. Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated cheers!

s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Viatel bump. Sorry I posted earlier, decided against it then curiosity got the better of me. Just wanted to the forum's brains.

Got this off eBay. I don't have it in my hands yet so hard for me to answer questions but I'm going off the pics. Was advertised as a 2012 jumper :sweatsmile:.

- Primus, AFL and Adidas logos appear to be patches on the front.
- Viatel sublimated on the back but with no black border around it, as there seems to be in other pics I've seen. It also sits lower than it appeared to in game pics, and the gradient slightly different.
- I can't tell if the number is sublimated or heat-pressed based off pics. Could well be the former, assuming the latter for now. Definitely not stitched.
- Size is small. Seems to be polyester, rather than sportswool, and no collar (sportswool seemed to still offer collars). The tags do all check out against my 98 Freo away Guernsey (also polyester, also Adidas)

Has anyone ever seen one like this before? Did the pies ever wear this sponsor combo in a game? I'm wondering if it's a prototype, a short-lived retail, or a fake. Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated cheers!

View attachment 1296713View attachment 1296716
I don't know of an occasion when they used both Primus and Viatel.
My understanding is Primus took over Viatel and inherited the sponsorship.
So it was one or the other.
The logo on the back, is, as you mention, missing the Black border, so you could confidently argue it's not an official jumper.
It might be a retail where they've removed the stitched on Viatel and replaced it with a stitched on Primus, but never gotten to the back version.

My suggestion is to bid on it as you would a 1998 Retail replica you could have bought from K-Mart at the time.
Whatever a 1998 K-Mart jumper is worth to you, given it's rarity, might be more than it's worth to the next guy.

The logo on the back, is, as you mention, missing the Black border, so you could confidently argue it's not an official jumper.
It might be a retail where they've removed the stitched on Viatel and replaced it with a stitched on Primus, but never gotten to the back version.

My suggestion is to bid on it as you would a 1998 Retail replica you could have bought from K-Mart at the time.
Whatever a 1998 K-Mart jumper is worth to you, given it's rarity, might be more than it's worth to the next guy.

Thanks Mero! That's great feedback and much appreciated. It was a Buy it Now at a really decent price for a Viatel retail so I pulled the trigger on it. Looking forward to getting it in my hands and having a closer look. Cheers.

That is correct, I have a PW - they had the primus on the front & an iron on Spicers logo on the back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back