Rumour Collingwood FC Selling Home Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Pros:
  • Expands our national profile
  • Gives the players a week away from the depths of Melbourne’s winter.
  • Provides travel opportunities for supporters to travel up there and have a holiday watching footy during the school holidays.

Cons:
  • Only 25K stadium?
  • There will be some Vic fans / members who do like going to games at Docklands (let’s face it, we’re spoilt rotten. As terrible as Docklands is, it’s still in the top 5 stadiums in the country - MCG, Perth Stadium, Adelaide Oval, which others would you have ahead of Docklands?)

Additionally:
- How do the $$$ stack up? Will Vic members expect a discount? Carrara only seats 25K. Is Gold Coast tourism chipping in?

So We got from

MCG 14
Marvel 3
Interstate 6

to

MCG 14
Marvel 2
Interstate 7

I'm not a fan of this at all, get 1 less game in Melbourne and an extra week interstate.
If the Marvel game we sell is the one we play against a Marvel tenant it evens up the chances of winning considerably.

So We got from

MCG 14
Marvel 3
Interstate 6

to

MCG 14
Marvel 2
Interstate 7

I'm not a fan of this at all, get 1 less game in Melbourne and an extra week interstate.

Sometimes the rationale is to take control of our destiny to attempt to get an outcome that somehow works in our favour …

… before the AFL makes decisions for us. Especially with all the work the AFL are currently considering around balancing the competition.

As a Vic based Collingwood supporter, you get far more opportunities to see your team play than pretty much any other AFL supporter.

This is minnow club territory. They can’t be serious surely.

Yep, they’re serious, and they’ve been pondering this for a while now (at least 9 months that I’m directly aware of)

Yep, plus guaranteeing 3 games in QLD every season, no thanks.

Why would it be 3 games in QLD?

Surely it would only guarantee 2?

Plus 1 in every other interstate, with one of those having 2?

I think people know my thoughts on this matter.

It just goes to show that it is possible to have less home games at Marvel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of our annual 'home' games at Marvel is always against one of Dogs (like next week), StK or Nth. If we move that game to GC, it takes away the advantage it currently gives those sides. If we play them in the 2nd game of the 'hub' week, then we will have a bit of local knowledge advantage. I vote 👍

Last edited:
Hate it.

And an absolute load of horse shit that an extra home game in qld is going to "grow our supporter base". If you're living in qld and don't already follow a team an extra collingwood game (which will likely sell out from existing members) isn't going to convince you.

Shameless cash grab at the expense of vic members. Gross.

Because it has been for years now.

Things can change.

We had a Swans game in Sydney locked in every year for decades, yet in 2023 it got removed from the fixture. (Back again this year)

Bump. This is a thread from 2023....

Channel 9 mentioned this again at the start of the news. A story coming up.

Edit...

Trying to move a game from Marvel to the Gold Coast. Then stay up another week for lions game.
Absolutely. Would much rather play a home game against st kilda or Dogs interstate than at Marvel

Things can change.

We had a Swans game in Sydney locked in every year for decades, yet in 2023 it got removed from the fixture. (Back again this year)

That mid year game was dumped a long time ago, the annual game in Sydney the last 10 years was solely because Sydney were too scared to visit the MCG ever again because one of their players got booed.

But the Easter game has pretty much become a staple with the other blockbusters so it’s unlikely it’d change, especially whilst Brisbane enjoys a strong home ground advantage.

Plus we’re also pretty much writing off ever playing Gold Coast in Melbourne which seems a very dumb move just as they start coming good. Not too many times we’d ever play them twice…

One of our annual 'home' games at Marvel is always against one of Dogs (like next week), StK or Nth. If we move that game to GC, it takes away the advantage it currently gives those sides. If we play them in the 2nd game of the 'hub' week, then we will have a bit of local knowledge advantage. I vote 👍

Yet we’ve got won 4/5 against the Dogs at Marvel over the last 8 years, St Kilda haven’t beaten us since 2017 and most of our Marvel losses actually come against interstate sides and not the Marvel tenants.

Awful, our home games should be at the MCG and only the MCG.
Sure, but this has never ever been the case.

Instead of having 1 home game at Marvel against the Dogs (which is advantage to Dogs) fine to play it on the Gold Coast.

Strategically smart to try and get 2 games every year in the growing Gold Coast market, especially if the school holiday period.

Craig Kelly tabled this at Club42 in October.
Wants to create a mini 3 week season in Queensland for us.
Reckons this will be tied in to a bye and deliver a break for the players or a mid season camp and be part of making us a destination club.

Also wants to align it with school holidays for travelling Vic supporters. Will make QLD memberships available which is part of their vision for 200,000 members by 2026 (which will include digital paid memberships).

I reckon it’ll happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back