Rumour Collingwood FC Selling Home Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 1, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
To all my fellow Collingwood loving paid up members, I must bring to your attention a worrying rumour or piece of news brought to us by none other than the Presidents son, Tom Browne.

It starts at 12:25 from the below linked podcast.

"Collingwood is interested, Craig Kelly is very commercial, interested in potentially taking one of their games interstate. Now you can call it selling or getting money from it, it would be highly profitable. Marry it up with an existing interstate game. EG Take a team up to the Gabba (for a Pies Home Game) then the week after play Gold coast (as an away game)"

Let me stress, this is a horrible outcome for Collingwood Members and our on field performance may actually take a dip. Why are we adding on unessecary travel.

The below is a break down of how our home and away season splits have been since 2012 (when the comp turned into 18 teams):

2012: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2013: MCG - 15 (10H 5A) Docklands - 2 (1H 1A) 5 Interstate
2014: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2015: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2016: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2017: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2018: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2019: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2022: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2023: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 6 Interstate (inclusive 1 Gather round)

I implore all members to be vocal against this proposal that Craig Kelly is running with and stop this in its tracks.

It sounds like nonsense,Surely we’re not one of those cash strapped clubs that have to sell a home game interstate to make a bit of money,are we?

I thought it could be a play from the club/Kelly at leverage (against AFL who own Docklands, and the MCC), hope that's the case.

But at face value of the rumour, my thoughts are clear, no need to sell home games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If true, this is a horrible idea.

Some of our members are already losing away seats next year, and to top it off they want to sell a home game to make a bit more money.

That what they only care about is $$$$$

I'm against the idea out of principle. But to be honest as a one-off it would be fun to have a holiday in Queensland in June or July where you get to see the Pies play Brisbane one weekend then play Gold Coast the next.

Its definitely just a negotiation tactic though to get a bit of leverage against the MCC.

what if a State bought the game like Tassie did for the hawks/Roos.

Rather than play a home game against the Dogs, Roos or Saints at Docklands, could we play them interstate?

Or we play Gold Coast back to back at Metricon as part of a deal to give up less for Ben King.

I thought it could be a play from the club/Kelly at leverage (against AFL who own Docklands and the MCC), hope that's the case.

But at face value of the rumour, my thoughts are clear, no need to sell home games.
The AFL own the MCC??

To all my fellow Collingwood loving paid up members, I must bring to your attention a worrying rumour or piece of news brought to us by none other than the Presidents son, Tom Browne.

It starts at 12:25 from the below linked podcast.

"Collingwood is interested, Craig Kelly is very commercial, interested in potentially taking one of their games interstate. Now you can call it selling or getting money from it, it would be highly profitable. Marry it up with an existing interstate game. EG Take a team up to the Gabba (for a Pies Home Game) then the week after play Gold coast (as an away game)"

Let me stress, this is a horrible outcome for Collingwood Members and our on field performance may actually take a dip. Why are we adding on unessecary travel.

The below is a break down of how our home and away season splits have been since 2012 (when the comp turned into 18 teams):

2012: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2013: MCG - 15 (10H 5A) Docklands - 2 (1H 1A) 5 Interstate
2014: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2015: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2016: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2017: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2018: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2019: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2022: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 5 Interstate
2023: MCG - 14 (9H 5A) Docklands - 3 (2H 1A) 6 Interstate (inclusive 1 Gather round)

I implore all members to be vocal against this proposal that Craig Kelly is running with and stop this in its tracks.
In 2013 we had the same split as every other year.

"Home" games - 9 MCG & 2 Docklands
"away" games - 5 MCG, 1 Docklnads and 5 outside vic.

Id be up for playing the Dogs or Saints on the Gold Coast instead of at Etihad.

In 2013 we had the same split as every other year.

"Home" games - 9 MCG & 2 Docklands
"away" games - 5 MCG, 1 Docklnads and 5 outside vic.

Id be up for playing the Dogs or Saints on the Gold Coast instead of at Etihad.

Didn’t we only play 2 games at Docklands in 2013?

Round 1 vs North “away”
Round 12 vs Dogs “home”

I hope it is a negotiation tactic as some say, but I don’t trust this board one bit.

They are trading Eddie’s capital as though it’s endless…first the members seating, then the prison bars…now selling home games. We made 7m profit last year, you can’t use it on anything anyway what are they on about.

This board is taking us from a great club, to run of the mill trash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back