Rumour Collingwood FC Selling Home Games

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m curious why the AFL would tick off a GC home game when the suns are starting to gain market traction.

From a club perspective the suns have a lot of talent coming through, do we want to lock in an annual away game against them? We haven’t won too many of the annual Easter Thursday away game against the lions. No doubt GWS will want an annual repeat of opening round too.

The devil will be in the detail in terms of the broader fixture and what trade off is provided to Melbourne members.

What happened to the push for 11 home games at the MCG?
We had the best opportunity to push for 11 MCG home games when the tuggers and hawks made a play for our away corporate areas and we lost L2 away seating as a byproduct. Seems we didn’t or couldn’t take that opportunity.

I suspect they will organise a "replacement" game in Melbourne for members.
Home members can be given access to an away game, but obviously that can’t happen for members with home & away access.

From a club perspective the suns have a lot of talent coming through, do we want to lock in an annual away game against them?

Yes

Under the Fly regime we “take the steps”.

We do things the hard way, because that’s what brings success 😀

Craig Kelly tabled this at Club42 in October.
Wants to create a mini 3 week season in Queensland for us.
Reckons this will be tied in to a bye and deliver a break for the players or a mid season camp and be part of making us a destination club.

Also wants to align it with school holidays for travelling Vic supporters. Will make QLD memberships available which is part of their vision for 200,000 members by 2026 (which will include digital paid memberships).

I reckon it’ll happen.
Traveling Vic members, plus Qld memberships on a ground that holds 25k? Don’t think the numbers stack up there.

Seems the humble club without grandiose ideas we had under Korda was fleeting. At least it lasted long enough to sign a humble McRae. I don’t like the return to brashness by Browne and Kelly.

Yes

Under the Fly regime we “take the steps”.

We do things the hard way, because that’s what brings success 😀
Can’t fault the argument given the premiership albeit most weeks with 5 minutes left I’m wishing we’d put sides away instead of fighting out another single margin.

Can’t fault the argument given the premiership albeit most weeks with 5 minutes left I’m wishing we’d put sides away instead of fighting out another single margin.

It’s like doing those final few push-ups …

… they kill you at the time, but gee you feel good afterwards!

. No doubt GWS will want an annual repeat of opening round
On code sports today, and probably in the herald sun (live in Sydney myself), the swans president Andrew Pridham was gobbing off about how the swans now want to play us in opening round.

Also some barbs about Sydney being the most supported club in Australia (don't start me on the swans as a Sydney-sider myself).

Andrew you will have to get in line with most other clubs needing us to help your insignificant little club, and also get back in your box regarding the rest of the crap you were sprouting.

Actually come to think about it, it is a bit contradictory when he says swans are the most supported club in Australia but he wants us to help them sell out their games.

Rant over from this passionate swans hater!!

Last edited:
Another one

Round 6 vs Saints "home".

Get the same fixture every season.

My prefence would be play it at the G.

But if not an option, get $1m to play Dogs, Saints or Kangas on the Gold Coast instead of Etihad...why not?
Because I and many do not want any less games in Melbourne...simple whether its home or away NO LESS GAMES IN MELBOURNE!!

On code sports today, and probably in the herald sun (live in Sydney myself), the swans president Andrew Pridham was gobbing off about how the swans now want to play us in opening round.

Also some barbs about Sydney being the most supported club in Australia (don't start me on the swans as a Sydney-sider myself).

Andrew you will have to get in line with most other clubs needing us to help your insignificant little club, and also get back in your box regarding the rest of the crap you were sprouting.

Actually come to think about it, it is a bit contradictory when he says swans are the most supported club in Australia but he wants us to help them sell out their games.

Rant over from this passionate swans hater!!
In terms fan numbers Sydney is similar to the storm. Anyone with a slight passing interest picks the local team, but it doesn’t translate into attendance or memberships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m curious why the AFL would tick off a GC home game when the suns are starting to gain market traction.

From a club perspective the suns have a lot of talent coming through, do we want to lock in an annual away game against them? We haven’t won too many of the annual Easter Thursday away game against the lions. No doubt GWS will want an annual repeat of opening round too.

The devil will be in the detail in terms of the broader fixture and what trade off is provided to Melbourne members.
The AFL requests Collingwood to do it, and they oblige. It’s good for marketing on the Gold Coast. If we can lock in a home game afterwards, even better. That’s one less game at Marvel. They can remain on the Gold Coast for the whole week and treat it as a boot camp/winter break.

The AFL requests Collingwood to do it, and they oblige. It’s good for marketing on the Gold Coast. If we can lock in a home game afterwards, even better. That’s one less game at Marvel. They can remain on the Gold Coast for the whole week and treat it as a boot camp/winter break.
I think it also gives us extra money to spend on the soft cap

In terms fan numbers Sydney is similar to the storm. Anyone with a slight passing interest picks the local team, but it doesn’t translate into attendance or memberships.

In Sydney, it’s a status / demographic thing. It’s why Swans couldn’t get out of Stadium Australia quick enough. All their supporter base is contained in eastern suburbs + inner west + northern beaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back