Collingwood .... Victims or Beneficiaries of the fixture?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone tell me who these supposed best 22 players are that Collingwood are missing? Treloar and Dunn are the only ones of note. You can claim Elliot if you’re desperate. The rest are in that 18 - 30 category.

It'd be good if the AFL just tried to make the fixture as fair and even as possible for all teams instead of trying manipulate everything in the name of "equalisation"

Let's say Collingwood was the sixth best team in the comp (I'm not sure if they are, but let's say they're 6th best.) Wouldn't it be better that they actually finish 6th instead of finishing in the top four courtesy of an easy draw and depriving a better team of the double chance?

Give yourself an uppercut.

How do you judge where a team is prior to the season starting without using the previous years wins/losses?

Don’t think it matters who they have played or not-if you get a solid run of wins against any opposition, you play yourselves into good form. And pies have done that and will now be better prepared for when they do meet the top teams. They look pretty good already.

The draw is important

If you get crap teams at the start ...you get wins on the board

Then play the better teams in the send half of the year l...you get them when they are injured

They will get west coast and swans below full strength

They don’t come to Perth .....

Let’s see how they go under heat Saturday

Pies vs Hawks - Pies played terrible awful footy and were well beaten.

Pies vs GWS - Had 3 injuries and were in the lead with 10 minutes left in the game.

Pies vs Cats - Terrible game of footy by both teams, Cats won, Pies never got going.

Pies vs Tigers - The game was tight until about 10 minutes into the last where Richmond like they have done all year put on a clinic and blew us away.

The draw is important

Then play the better teams in the send half of the year l...you get them when they are injured

Pies play Freo last round of the year in Perth.

I’d say Essendon’s outs were more crucial than Collingwood’s yesterday and Collingwood fell over the line with the umpire’s assistance.

Let’s put it this way, if Collingwood are against us on grand final day, it will be easier for me as a supporter to get through the week than if we were playing Port, Geelong, Sydney, WCE, GWS and North.

So I kinda view Collingwood 7th-8th and the ladder if pretty flattering but once again same was said about Richmond. Momentum is wonderful and were watching Collingwood get better and better every week.

ridiculous argument- trotted out incessantly by Hawks and Tigers fans.

It's OK- another team is doing well (defo not my team!)

Tigers and Pies have been most impressive two sides for mine.

Both have had some very good wins, and both have had a couple of ordinary losses.

I would argue Collingwood has been better, considering their extensive and significant injury list- about half (legitimate) best 22 out for decent chunks.
Tigers have been blessed again.

I think Coll will hit the wall shortly- yet have performed beyond what evn the most one-eyed psycho supporter wouldve dreamt.

I fear Tigers are a bit like Collingwood 2011- dominate and expect it will happen- but a key injury here or there and we might see a huge crash.

Port vs Tigers GF with Port saluting for mine

Bit more research into richmonds injury list may be needed buddy. And i hope we do get Port in the GF if we happen to get there. Prefer them then anyone else in the 8

Can anyone tell me who these supposed best 22 players are that Collingwood are missing? Treloar and Dunn are the only ones of note. You can claim Elliot if you’re desperate. The rest are in that 18 - 30 category.
In go
Treloar, Wells, Elliott, Moore, Dunn, Varcoe
Out go
Mayne, Appleby, Crocker, Sier, Daicos, Mihocek.
We improve.

Talking about the draw without putting other things into perspective. We have one of the biggest injury lists in the league and yet sit second on the ladder. At full strength Collingwood is the best team in it IMO.
ONE of the...if only injuries blah blah broken record -please beat a side in top8. Dees excepted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course you can claim Elliot, when he's fit he is one of the best small forwards in the league

One of the sillier things I've seen on here

Bias aside, I’ve always said that consistently beating the teams you should beat is an underrated feat and is a sign of a pretty good side.

Every year we hear of middle of the road teams that match it with the better teams but struggle against the sides around or below them.

I’m not buying into the contender talk just yet, but from a supporters point of view it’s been enormously satisfying to watch the improvement of our team regardless of who our wins have been against. Three or four of our wins so far I’m almost certain would have been losses in previous years.

Maybe the word injuries should be banned fronm BF - it accounts for 90% of Pies posts.:p

It'd be good if the AFL just tried to make the fixture as fair and even as possible for all teams instead of trying manipulate everything in the name of "equalisation"

Let's say Collingwood was the sixth best team in the comp (I'm not sure if they are, but let's say they're 6th best.) Wouldn't it be better that they actually finish 6th instead of finishing in the top four courtesy of an easy draw and depriving a better team of the double chance?

No one cared last year when we started with this draw.

2016 top 4 and 5 of the previous top 8. (ladder positions end of home and away)

Dogs 7th
Richmond 13th
Sydney 1st
STK 9th
Essendon 18th
Geelong 2nd
Carlton 14th
Gws 4th
Hawthorn 3rd

Could go back and do the previous 2 - 3 years and they were the same. For a team who wasn’t playing finals we got the short straw through the fixture. Now an easier draw and everyone sooks.

Lol.

This is true and should be explored more. Its kinda flawed.

Afl draw rules can be manipulated if a club was prepared for a little pain this year for next year.

Eg. I garuntee crows will get an easier draw next year if they dont make the 8 and rise up to top 2/4. (Look at North and pies this year and even tigers last year).

You will know possibly next week and certainly by August.

This season, aside from the one game where they defeated Melbourne the Pies haven't beaten a side with a winning record.

They are yet to play Eagles, Power, Kangas or Swans.

They have been beaten by the Hawks, Tigers, Cats & Giants.

You can only defeat the sides you play; Collingwood have played and defeated each of the current bottom nine teams; two of them twice.

So, finals? Yes. How far?

When the FIXture (you think its a draw :rolleyes:) when set would not had a Pies Eagles game at the G in July as anything more than a chance to give the Eagles a run on the G, most pundits didnt rate either side for the 2018 season.

The draw is important

round 23...……..btw the club likes travelling. its something malthouse taught the club. they have usually played well interstate.

In go
Treloar, Wells, Elliott, Moore, Dunn, Varcoe
Out go
Mayne, Appleby, Crocker, Sier, Daicos, Mihocek.
We improve.
Treloar, big out. Improves your side significantly.

Wells is cooked and I’d be surprised if he gets any continuity back before he retires. Four games this season averaging 13 touches. I do not consider him an upgrade on any of the guys you have mentioned. It’s 2018, not 2008.

Elliot is a good player but he has missed a lot of football. It will take him a couple of months to adapt to the modern game. Slight upgrade on Daicos.

Moore I don’t rate at all. Where do you play him? CHF? Mihocek offers what Moore does.

Dunn is best 22 but is no world beater. You seemed to go OK without him yesterday.

Varcoe? Another fringe player. Probably replaces Mayne who is doing well. Not really much difference there.

Earnt the easy draw with where they finished last year and they’ve been out of the finals for a little while now. I have no idea how far they’ll end up going at the moment, the next month will tell us more.

Does anyone know how to turn off alerts for this thread? I’m not watching it but I’m getting notifications for it whenever someone posts in here.

Cheers

This is true and should be explored more. Its kinda flawed.

Afl draw rules can be manipulated if a club was prepared for a little pain this year for next year.

Eg. I garuntee crows will get an easier draw next year if they dont make the 8 and rise up to top 2/4. (Look at North and pies this year and even tigers last year).
Yeah, the draw can be manipulated.
I know a team that did this.
Guess which year they got a soft draw.
Finals, Finals, Finals, 13th, Flag.

They are playing well...what happened 6 weeks ago means nothing...
the saints smashed us last year.
It’s what happens from now.
Injuries will have impact ... but momentum can do amazing things.
You’re right, even what happened yesterday and what will happen in the next 3 weeks is irrelevant when Round 23 concludes because it’s the ladder positions and who each team has to play and where after that which decides who makes it to the big dance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back