Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Listened to Sonja's interview with Whately on SEN, his focus on negatives to try and get a headline, poor crowd on Saturday, Clarko's suspended sentence, Tarryn Thomas issue, are we the right team for Good Friday, as expected, she performed magnificently, spoke exceptionally well, and gave him absolute donuts, well done Sonja :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Not enough chair throwing in the post game talk for mine.
Other than that. It was hard for that weasel to get under her skin

Listened to Sonja's interview with Whately on SEN, his focus on negatives to try and get a headline, poor crowd on Saturday, Clarko's suspended sentence, Tarryn Thomas issue, are we the right team for Good Friday, as expected, she performed magnificently, spoke exceptionally well, and gave him absolute donuts, well done Sonja :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Is there a link? 🙏

crowd figures should only be viewed through the lens as % of membership.

40.55%

34.48%

Both Victorian sides playing an interstate side at a Melbourne ground this week.

Guess which one is ours.
I think this is just wishful thinking. If we were known as a club that plays an attractive brand of footy we would attract neutrals, non member North fans and other club supporters to come and watch as well.

I think the brand that we are starting to play is exactly that. The first third of the game on Saturday was fast, skillful and exhilarating. Give it a year and the boys will be able to do that for 3 quarters or maybe even 4.

And that's when crown numbers will go up and probably membership numbers too.

So boring and predictable, the AFL media are so tiresome.

ie: dickhead.
Not just him but 90% of the Harley Reid fappen articles were by him, he seemed to take the idea of swapping picks personally and 0 positive things from him so, yep,
Just adding his crap so when we get good, I’ll staple the GF winning poster to his forehead

Lazy journalism:

Roo-who? Are they playing?

If North Melbourne play in an empty stadium and no one is in the stands to see it, did it really happen?

There were plenty of eastern state pundits out there who were happy to call out West Coast as a place No.1 draftee elect Harley Reid shouldn’t want to play for because of their poor on-field performances.

But at least there are fans there to see Reid and the Eagles play regardless of how well they do.

The crowd that showed up for the Kangaroos’ loss to Fremantle at Marvel Stadium on Saturday was dismal, with only 17,589 seats filled.

Meanwhile, 42,401 fans turned out to watch Reid’s first home game at Optus Stadium even though they knew it was most likely going to be a tough watch against a rampaging Greater Western Sydney.

Kane Cornes declared the Eagles as a “football graveyard” that should be avoided by Reid and his management, while radio host Sam McClure has been the most vocal that the teenage sensation shouldn’t be at West Coast for a multitude of reasons.

But he’s here now and the fans are loving him.

West Coast might not be going well, but if you asked the young Kangaroos in Colby McKerchar, Zane Duursma and George Wardlaw would they rather be playing in a packed Optus Stadium or near empty Marvel Stadium, they’ll surely pick the former.

West Coast were dismal last year, and their lowest home crowd was still 35,579 against St Kilda.

The Kangaroos didn’t pass more than 30,000 fans in four of their seven home games at the AFL-owned stadium including a terrible crowd of only 21,003 against Sydney in round 10.”
Certainly lazy.

Didn't see much Journalism though.

Perhaps we'll get forensics onto it.

I mean Whateley is being himself (aka a dick) to Sonja not sure why anyone would want to give the failing network any ad revenue but each to their own.

I’m not going to listen to that twat, but if was as negative as has been described I wish Sonja would have given him a clip.

“You know Gerard, it’s north membership day and you’ve just focused on 3 negative issues. An average crowd for a small team vs an interstate team that’s hardly won in 4 years, Tarryn Thomas that was discussed a dealt with a month ago, and calling into question our 1 marque game that sells out each year and will again on Friday. Is that how you treat all you guests or just north guests?”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not going to listen to that twat, but if was as negative as has been described I wish Sonja would have given him a clip.

“You know Gerard, it’s north membership day and you’ve just focused on 3 negative issues. An average crowd for a small team vs an interstate team that’s hardly won in 4 years, Tarryn Thomas that was discussed a dealt with a month ago, and calling into question our 1 marque game that sells out each year and will again on Friday. Is that how you treat all you guests or just north guests?”
It wasn’t negative and he was fine. Sonja spoke fantastically and Gerard just asked standard journalistic questions in my opinion.

Wonder when they'll realise they should have taken the offers on hand.
You know as well as I do "Hoj" that the majority of West Coast supporters will never admit it!
Thanksgiving Turkey GIF by BuzzFeed

The thing that frustrates me is that when the same thing happens with the Western Bulldogs or St Kilda (and it does) they're quiet.
Which is quite strange. Is it an AFL directive? or do these POS really just do double standards when it comes to NM because of their personal dislike of the club. Not sure why anyone would dislike us considering the lack of success we have had in the past 25 years but here we are.

Interview was fine, can't be expecting GW to just tee up softballs to hit. And Sonja is experienced enough to handle the thornier questions and turn them into something that touches on the pain that we're all feeling and what we're doing to get better. And let's face it, part of it is to find another 5k members to turn up to our games.

Wonder when they'll realise they should have taken the offers on hand.
As time goes on what was offered will go out to be called picks in the late twenties, but the same picks will be ‘five first round picks’ for us. Just like the legend of what we didn’t take for JHF has brought the picks in closer to top 10, what they turned down will be represented as middling picks in a compromised draft.
Just the way the media rolls.

The thing that frustrates me is that when the same thing happens with the Western Bulldogs or St Kilda (and it does) they're quiet.
Which is quite strange. Is it an AFL directive? or do these POS really just do double standards when it comes to NM because of their personal dislike of the club. Not sure why anyone would dislike us considering the lack of success we have had in the past 25 years but here we are.
There are a few things at play here, we've been an easy target for years with our debt, selling games to Tasmania and more recently Clarko (not our fault), Assistance Packages and Tarryn Thomas (again not our fault). We've given the AFL media, who love to kick a team when they're down, reason to kick the sh*t out of us.

It's not an AFL directive per se, although it certainly doesn't help our cause when 3 high profile journalists, and I use that word loosely, Wilson, Barrett & Cornes all do seem to have an irrational hatred for us. The AFL media don't really have any unique opinions or points of view, it seems like they're ganging up on us but they're just lazy and copying each other you can flip between any radio station, TV show, article etc. they are all saying the same thing at any given time.

Never underestimate the general public's ability to be brainwashed by the AFL media, so many opposition supporters hate us and regurgitate the "just fold the club" "should have gone to the Gold Coast" "Send them to Tasmania" narratives, it's so easy when you don't have to think for yourself.

Last edited:
There are a few things at play here, we've been an easy target for years with our debt, selling games to Tasmania and more recently Clarko (not our fault), Assistance Packages and Tarryn Thomas (again not our fault). We've given the AFL media, who love to kick a team when they're down, reason to kick the sh*t out of us.

It's not an AFL directive per se, although it certainly doesn't help our cause when 3 high profile journalists, and I use that word loosely, Wilson, Barrett & Cornes all do seem to have an irrational hatred for us. The AFL media really don't have any unique opinions or points of view, it seems like they're ganging up on us but they're just lazy and copying each other you can flip between any radio station, TV show, article etc. they are all saying the same thing at any given time.

Never underestimate the general publics ability to be brainwashed by the AFL media, so many opposition supporters hate us and regurgitate the "just fold the club" "should have gone to the Gold Coast" "Send them to Tasmania" narratives, it's so easy when you don't have to think for yourself.
I think Cornes is just playing a Vaudeville game.

The other 2 are genuinely nasty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back