Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowds are going to be the issue though. I can see below 10k vs interstate teams.

There is just no motivation to watch up play at the minute.
I’ve no great desire to front up at Marvel this week, that’s for sure - even though it’s a replacement game. These capitulations look worse live than on TV too. However, just give me an odd victory and competitive performances and I’ll be back in the saddle quick smart. Regardless, the club has my fully paid-up seats in Marvel.

Just watched the Q and A.

Quite a few references to us being a few years behind Essendon and Adelaide in their rebuilds.

IMO they are treating our rebuild as starting from 2022 draft onwards. Anyone we picked up from before then who makes it is just a bonus.

Yes and while we can be rightfully disappointed, frustrated, angry, etc with those wasted years, we cannot be angry with the core leadership of the football department (Clarko and Viney) who weren't there for those years.

Last edited:

Viney says the about the Leaders standing up "it will come" - has this guy ever watched McDonald? At 29 and nearly 200 games, when exactly will he come good?

At some point you have to accept that some people just aren't up to it no matter how hard you push them.

Pretty disappointed with their answers around that stuff. Basically tells me don't expect much too much change for next year .. McDonald as captain again would be completely unacceptable.

They’re as ****ed as us. The difference is they pinched a couple of flags..
I'd say they are in a worse position than us look at the high end talent we have already brought in while the tigers have some good young players its not at the level of ours but that's just my opinion. The tigers could have gotten a leg up but they didn't want to go down our route and that is why they got Taranto and Hopper, how's that worked out for them?
Yes, they won 3 flags and had a great six years, they have had their run now they have to get more top end talent into their team.

Viney says the about the Leaders standing up "it will come" - has this guy ever watched McDonald? At 29 and nearly 200 games, when exactly will he come good?

At some point you have to accept that some people just aren't up to it no matter how hard you push them.

Pretty disappointed with their answers around that stuff. Basically tells me don't expect much too much change for next year .. McDonald as captain again would be completely unacceptable.
It would come, could mean that it'll come next year when somebody else is captain. Not much they can do now.

It would come, could mean that it'll come next year when somebody else is captain. Not much they can do now.
Yeah I'm thinking he was probably looking a bit further down the track too. Harry, George, etc.

I'd say they are in a worse position than us look at the high end talent we have already brought in while the tigers have some good young players its not at the level of ours but that's just my opinion. The tigers could have gotten a leg up but they didn't want to go down our route and that is why they got Taranto and Hopper, how's that worked out for them?
Yes, they won 3 flags and had a great six years, they have had their run now they have to get more top end talent into their team.
2 flags and 1 asterisk one. 2020 doesn’t count in my opinion, basically a participation award

The club that will really suffer from the Tasmanian expansion is the one that bottoms out in 2027 through to 2029. The implication that we will be the worst off because we are struggling now is quite ridiculous. Even Richmond should be okay as they have 3 years to gather top end talent before the draft is compromised.

The club that will really suffer from the Tasmanian expansion is the one that bottoms out in 2026 through to 2029. The implication that we will be the worst off because we are struggling now is quite ridiculous. Even Richmond should be okay as they have 2-3 years to gather top end talent before the draft is compromised.
I would bet my last dollar that it will 💯 depend on which club. If it’s a big drawing crowd team, TAS will get picks 1 and 3 or something. If it’s a low drawing crowd team, expect TAS to get picks 1,2,3,4 and 5.

I took it as "good leaders will come" rather than "Our current leaders will get better."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crowds are going to be the issue though. I can see below 10k vs interstate teams.

There is just no motivation to watch up play at the minute.

Anyone that went through the Gold Coast issue in 2007 will still be going

I take every opportunity I have to see my team play, it was almost taken away from me, I'd never want to miss them or the chance of seeing a win, as slim as that may be.

That being said I might need to be retrained from invading the field and slapping Aiden Corr on Saturday.

Last edited:
Captaincy could be changed…
They could, but I doubt that will happen though, given the stated primary objectives arounbd stability at all levels. Probably 2026 could see the new Main Man (Sheez) take the reins.

I took it as "good leaders will come" rather than "Our current leaders will get better."
And also, don't expect to see us throw a 20 year old to the wolves in 2025 regardless of what happens with our win/loss ratio this year. The fact that so many North supporters are so willing to knife Jy and Luke despite them being our best and fairest winners in recent seasons really doesn't give me any confidence that the same wouldn't be done to Harry if his form dropped away after taking on the captaincy.

I thought he was supporting the current captains - said how much work they are doing on leadership - plus Clarko earlier listed Luke and Jy as captains alongside himself, Todd, Jenn Watts and Sonja as pillars of the stability the club needs. As I was listening I thought there wasn’t much comfort for anyone wanting to see them turfed out but I guess we all hear what we want to hear.

Harry went in pretty hard for them in his SEN bit, said while they know they need to perform better on the field they are fantastic behind the scenes. I guess he would know.

PS. Richie Vandenberg, for anyone who thinks Clarko looks primarily for onfield prowess in a leader.

You really think LMac will be there next year?
Probably, yeah. I was always of the view that Luke was a helper until Jy took the job on his own, but I'm uncertain about Jy's future now. The concussion stuff has given me a few doubts.

It's Jy/LMac/Larkey as leaders who are still learning it for a few more years until a clear young leader emerges.
Sheezel said himself he's not quite sure he wants the captaincy and isn't ready anyway at 19 years old.
Making him the captain would be what Dees did with Trengrove and the other 19 year old (can't remember).
Creating multiple leaders in every part of the ground is more important.

It's Jy/LMac/Larkey as leaders who are still learning it for a few more years until a clear young leader emerges.
Sheezel said himself he's not quite sure he wants the captaincy and isn't ready anyway at 19 years old.
Making him the captain would be what Dees did with Trengrove and the other 19 year old (can't remember).
Creating multiple leaders in every part of the ground is more important.
Grimes(?) I think.

I thought he was supporting the current captains - said how much work they are doing on leadership - plus Clarko earlier listed Luke and Jy as captains alongside himself, Todd, Jenn Watts and Sonja as pillars of the stability the club needs. As I was listening I thought there wasn’t much comfort for anyone wanting to see them turfed out but I guess we all hear what we want to hear.

Harry went in pretty hard for them in his SEN bit, said while they know they need to perform better on the field they are fantastic behind the scenes. I guess he would know.

PS. Richie Vandenberg, for anyone who thinks Clarko looks primarily for onfield prowess in a leader.
Agree. I did notice, and to some,
maybe not worth noting given the frustration Luke and Jy cause us on-field, but I really liked how Luke waited at the entrance of the rooms post Tassie game, for everyone of his teammate and acknowledged them as they walked in. Small gesture but I liked it.

I don’t think for one second Luke and Jy are ‘not trying’ or ‘don’t care’. Sometimes you can try too hard and it all goes pear shaped.

Anyway, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

What we are seeing now is the result of years worth of mismanagement and the job of rectifying that isn't just a wave of the magic wand. It's from a history of poor standards being the norm and changing that culture is a massive challenge. I think they've put all the things in place from an off-field standpoint to enable that change, but ultimately it's down to the individual. From a player perspective, you have to want to do it personally, nobody can make you. Nobody.

Pretty fair response in the Q&A overall.

Yeh nah

Sack Clarksons

Ben Affleck Reaction GIF

Thats why the McDonald family are protected by their mates at the NMFC
It’s time to get some Fu:king Cu:t into people at our club and start displaying it on and off the field this club and make the hard decisions.
Open your eyes please and don’t shut them thinking what’s going on will disappear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back