Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have thought it was more to do with the glassing of that woman in America? Rather than the affair?
The 1995 incident referred to here was when he was confronted by a woman in the street and he grabbed her breast. The glassing was well after he retired. It happened in 2008. So that's possibly what leighlee13 is talking about. The affair is completely irrelevant to this issue of violence against women.

That’s ok, happens, as long they aren’t clowns.
But it’s def changed in our seating, we always had same people, or always same for each year, behind us for 10 years. Now those seats are clearly in the clubs hands from game to game.
We had an obnoxious hawks fan behind us commentating the whole ****ing game the other week. Wanted to deck him. 😂

Do you think the club is in danger of losing Mazda as a sponsor? That would be bad.
It’s almost impossible to stuff up.
Mazda have been amazing for us.

So I’m hoping the deal is locked away considering we couldn’t even get La Porchetta to jump on our shorts

The clause that no new car manufactures can sponsor a club is no longer valid.

Which is why Im keen to see Mazda extend.

Just not hearing positive news coming out of the club right now

Last edited:
How is that hitting back? Clarko basically said yeah, our training standards are s**t, it is why we are on the bottom of the ladder. He didn't address, in that clip, why the standards are s**t though. It is his job to make sure they aren't s**t.

The problem is WHY is it poor and why do we have no leadership, the majority of the worst players are the experienced mature players. If you would index s**t vs Age and Experience then the s**t-o-meter would be off the richter scale with very few exceptions.

We can't go on like this, we will slump into a StKilda or Carlton phase where we just wont develop players to reach their potential or will continue to bleed talent. We must have better drivers of standards and show a hunger for success.

How can players who aren't achieving what should be a basic AFL standard getting a game week after week? You have to start enforcing some standards, have some kind of metric that shows a desire to pressure, tackle and do the team thing to get a game.

We got blown off the park by a mediocre side that only needed to lay 38 tackles outside of their forward 50 and allowed to take 117 marks, 24 inside their forward 50. The defensive aspect of our game is WAY off, we have a bunch of ball watchers in the middle who aren't deploying any kind of effective defensive strategy. That is on the coaches primarily, the midfield group and the leaders. You have to set some kind of acceptable basic standards to get a game and if players keep getting games despite being unable to execute that standard on game day then it is 100% the fault of the coaches.

If you can't execute, you get told of the required standard, you drill to be able to execute it and if you can't perform you get dropped until your standard is good enough. You go to a kid and say this guy is getting dropped because he can't lay a tackle and can't pressure, can you do this job for me? Teach them how to setup, how to execute. There is no point trying to be the Harlem Globetrotters when you can't even bounce the ball. We need a block of time where we focus on the basics, moving the ball without butchering it, tackling, pressuring. We need to define a minimum standard so when punters rock up to games they have an expectation that we are going to have a crack and if we go down, the opposition is going to have to earn it, not just roll up and laugh as we turn over the ball and don't pressure.
The reality is that by the mid-section of the season our “game-plan” - though I can’t really identify one outside of the Freo half - has shown fewer minutes of success in clarity than the overly complicated sh*t Noble was trying to get us to do.

Yeah it's an entirely valid argument - the team on the bottom of the ladder lacks talent and skills on match day so of course you will see the same lack on the training track. We are not talking about the intensity or the effort at training but simply the skill level that obviously... OBVIOUSLY matches what we see in games because that is the limitation of the team at the moment.
This does not address effort, intent desire. We are bereft of the fundamentals.

Some of our fittest players who show desire and intent each week are Sheezel and McKercher. Fitness is only a small part of the equation. I would rather have heard C+V say that our team is mentally weak, that they have no desire to to put in 100% effort and ultimately, while it’s the responsibility of the players, it’s ultimately on us. That would have been leadership right there rather than shrugging off the truth as if the sh*t on our backs isn’t sticking.

And also, don't expect to see us throw a 20 year old to the wolves in 2025 regardless of what happens with our win/loss ratio this year. The fact that so many North supporters are so willing to knife Jy and Luke despite them being our best and fairest winners in recent seasons really doesn't give me any confidence that the same wouldn't be done to Harry if his form dropped away after taking on the captaincy.
The entire football world can see that Luke and Jy are either completely past it, or they are so underdone that they should not be playing 1s.

To be honest the best and fairest thing is holding very little water for both players.

Luke played well in a shortened season, playing in a slower game, under never-before-seen circumstances. People want to put an asterisk on Richmond’s Premiership in 2020 have to apply it to Luke’s one good year.

Jy is either done or needs a good 8 games in VFL. Jy can actually play as has been seen over the last three years, but he has no fitness at the moment, either physically or mentally, due to the Webster concussion.

I pretty much have, except on the opposite side of the field.

If I wasn't on L2, then I wanted to be as close to the fence as possible to keep it interesting for my 5YO daughter, so we moved across to the broadcast side and we are right up the front.

Side note, I have an aisle seat right where the coaches walk down at each break 😆

View attachment 1977175

That Carlton supporter on L2 looks like he's planning to assassinate you or Clarko

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The entire football world can see that Luke and Jy are either completely past it, or they are so underdone that they should not be playing 1s.

To be honest the best and fairest thing is holding very little water for both players.

Luke played well in a shortened season, playing in a slower game, under never-before-seen circumstances. People want to put an asterisk on Richmond’s Premiership in 2020 have to apply it to Luke’s one good year.

Jy is either done or needs a good 8 games in VFL. Jy can actually play as has been seen over the last three years, but he has no fitness at the moment, either physically or mentally, due to the Webster concussion.
Was Simpkin really that good last season?

October 2008. You were more or less right the first time.
The article I read said 2003. Regardless, my point was this was years ago ant they blocked Carey's entry into the NSW Hall of Fame. The Tarryn stuff is recent so the AFL should act appropriately regarding Tarryn too.

Halftime round up with Mitch what’s his name……
only thing mentioned about George ….nothing to worry about the bump….the saints player moved outta the way and George braced himself…
Nothing else…..oh dear 🤦

Stupid comment at the start considering other clubs (including the big ones) have had waaaaaaay more handouts, including pick #1 multiple times.

But i like the second part. Anything that helps with development, depth and experience for a young team would be much better and palatable than handing out more draft picks to struggling clubs.

Even if its just to play in the twos to set standards or participate in training.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back