Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Even though I'm not a GC fan, I must admit it's annoying seeing people hop on the "fold the Suns/move them to Tassie bandwagon" when GC in a bottom four year have gotten better crowds than GWS in a top four year.

Average crowd for Suns home games at Carrara (not counting sold game to China): 14017

Average crowd for Giants home games: 13196 (13456 avg for Spotless games, 12502 for Canberra games)

Home crowds below 10000: Suns 0, Giants 2 (one in Western Sydney and one in Canberra)

Not in favour of folding teams but if one had to go or relocate it definitely shouldn't be the Suns

Even though I'm not a GC fan, I must admit it's annoying seeing people hop on the "fold the Suns/move them to Tassie bandwagon" when GC in a bottom four year have gotten better crowds than GWS in a top four year.

Average crowd for Suns home games at Carrara (not counting sold game to China): 14017

Average crowd for Giants home games: 13196 (13456 avg for Spotless games, 12502 for Canberra games)

Home crowds below 10000: Suns 0, Giants 2 (one in Western Sydney and one in Canberra)

Not in favour of folding teams but if one had to go or relocate it definitely shouldn't be the Suns
My #1 pet hate currently.

Bandwagon hot s**t team can't even outdraw us little sisters of the poor bottom feeders.

does anyone have some figures on membership numbers for the big vic clubs back in the 90s or 2000s? be interested to see when say hawthorn had the same number of members as we do now. I don't think it was that long ago (relatively speaking)

AFlmembers1984-2016_aug13.png

does anyone have some figures on membership numbers for the big vic clubs back in the 90s or 2000s? be interested to see when say hawthorn had the same number of members as we do now. I don't think it was that long ago (relatively speaking)
From memory we hit 20000 after the club was saved from the merge in 1997

cheers for this.
so for a lot of the big teams, it was about 20 years. now I dont for a minute expect the suns to have an explosion over the next 20 years, but I think 20k to 25k is possible with some success and as juniors get older, have families of their own etc

Just to round out this thread for another year, here are the end results for 2017:

2017 Suns Crowd Average: 14,017
2017 Titans Crowd Average: 13,688

It’s amazing at times the similarity in the Suns/Titans
Appointed old hacks in Henry/Eade to right some culture issues

When things fell apart again they both have gone for highly credentialed Rookie Coaches in Brennan/Dew to excite the group and get things going again.

My #1 pet hate currently.

Bandwagon hot s**t team can't even outdraw us little sisters of the poor bottom feeders.
Pretty much. Lived in both cities, know if you guys (or the Titans for that matter, or us) got our s**t together on the field there would be a waiting list on season memberships.

The crowds your lot were getting in early 2014 and even in your first season showed the AFL made the right call putting a team there. Plus most of your fans are kids anyway

Pretty much. Lived in both cities, know if you guys (or the Titans for that matter, or us) got our s**t together on the field there would be a waiting list on season memberships.

The crowds your lot were getting in early 2014 and even in your first season showed the AFL made the right call putting a team there. Plus most of your fans are kids anyway

Titans came 2nd last this season and had the 9th best crowd averages.
However opposition fans at the first sign of any trouble in NRL circles always call for the Titans to die and to bring in Perth or Wellington or 2nd Brisbane team etc

It’s the lot of a GC Sporting fan, I’ve been living with it for 30 odd years since the days of the Gold Coast Rollers and Gold Coast Giants.

We are the easy target and the only one that people ever want to commit murder to.

The foundations of our club are reasonably strong given we have had quite a few pitiful seasons on field.

If the GWS have a bad season it could really expose the lack of traction they’ve had off field.

Look at the empty seats at the GWS v WEagles semi final this season. What a shocking look that was for the AFL.

The GWS and the Mighty GC Plastics both belong in the AFL, people just have to take a long term view and not be selfish and insular like was discovered by us all this year in our dealings with the Entitled, Selfish, Welfare Addicted Geelong Inbreds this year in the GAJ thread.

Exactly it's as though you need reminding on how clueless the Victorian AFL media is.
Unless it's happening in Melbourne or that country town Geelong they have no idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again big Hayne dramas on the Coast today
Pretty much every Titans fan will welcome him gone

Hopefully this summer with the purging of Ablett/Hayne will see us never go down the pathway of having marquee egomaniac Flogs brought into town again.
What seems to be his issue now Bods ? did'nt like the coach so they sacked the coach , is it a case he does'nt like the new coach.

What a mess the whole Hayne issue is. I think once he’s gone the better, depends whether he leaves similarly to Ablett back to the eels for less money. Took of him going to the Waratahs as well, good luck playing playing on the wing where you’ll see none of the ball

What seems to be his issue now Bods ? did'nt like the coach so they sacked the coach , is it a case he does'nt like the new coach.

Sorry SunsBhoy for a slow reply
Big day at work and honestly I’ve been on the Titans forum a lot today.

He’s claiming he wants to see his baby daughter, so it looks like Fatso The Ego Hayne has not manned up in keeping a healthy relationship with the baby’s Mum which I personally shows again what type of human he is.

Another possibility is that Coach Brennan has brought in a new Trainer from Easts that used to flog Hayne a decade ago at Parramatta when he actually was fit and fast and could play footy. Maybe the thought of having him and Brennan making him train scared him too.

But honestly I don’t know. At least Ablett played good footy, Hayne has been nothing short of dismal so there’s no love for him on the Titans forum, if anything people are excited by him leaving so we can use the salary cap money to get some young ambitious talent.

Sorry SunsBhoy for a slow reply
Big day at work and honestly I’ve been on the Titans forum a lot today.

He’s claiming he wants to see his baby daughter, so it looks like Fatso The Ego Hayne has not manned up in keeping a healthy relationship with the baby’s Mum which I personally shows again what type of human he is.

Another possibility is that Coach Brennan has brought in a new Trainer from Easts that used to flog Hayne a decade ago at Parramatta when he actually was fit and fast and could play footy. Maybe the thought of having him and Brennan making him train scared him too.

But honestly I don’t know. At least Ablett played good footy, Hayne has been nothing short of dismal so there’s no love for him on the Titans forum, if anything people are excited by him leaving so we can use the salary cap money to get some young ambitious talent.
To be fair though hasn’t played much fullback. They’ve had Taylor, Hayne, Roberts and Elgey. Trying to fit them into their respective positions has been hard.

Once again big Hayne dramas on the Coast today
Pretty much every Titans fan will welcome him gone

Hopefully this summer with the purging of Ablett/Hayne will see us never go down the pathway of having marquee egomaniac Flogs brought into town again.
It's very strange that almost every Gold Coast team competing in a national sporting league has fallen into the same trap of thinking that the acquisition of a marquee player will equal success. The Bears did it with Warwick Capper when they were based at Carrara, the Seagulls did it with Wally Lewis, Gold Coast United did it with Jason Culina, the Blaze arguably did it with Shane Heal, the Titans did it with Idris/Hayne and now you could argue the Suns have fallen into the same category with Ablett.

The only notable team I've seen based on the Gold Coast that was able to have sustained success, albeit in the state league, are the Southport Sharks. Very successful both on and off field. Granted, it's easier to achieve that in the state league when compared to a national league but you don't win 21 premierships by accident and you don't make big profits each year by accident either. I know the Sharks are currently in the process of building their own hotel which is going to be a big revenue machine for them so they are continually evolving which is impressive.

The Sharks found a way to implement a winning culture on the field and a winning culture in the business sense. They had players and administrators who were passionate about making the club something special and now it's an absolute monster of a local club. I guess what I'm trying to say is it takes more than one exceptional player to make a club successful. Every single person employed by the GCFC needs to on board and pulling in the same directions for this club to turn things around.

It's very strange that almost every Gold Coast team competing in a national sporting league has fallen into the same trap of thinking that the acquisition of a marquee player will equal success. The Bears did it with Warwick Capper when they were based at Carrara, the Seagulls did it with Wally Lewis, Gold Coast United did it with Jason Culina, the Blaze arguably did it with Shane Heal, the Titans did it with Idris/Hayne and now you could argue the Suns have fallen into the same category with Ablett.

The only notable team I've seen based on the Gold Coast that was able to have sustained success, albeit in the state league, are the Southport Sharks. Very successful both on and off field. Granted, it's easier to achieve that in the state league when compared to a national league but you don't win 21 premierships by accident and you don't make big profits each year by accident either. I know the Sharks are currently in the process of building their own hotel which is going to be a big revenue machine for them so they are continually evolving which is impressive.

The Sharks found a way to implement a winning culture on the field and a winning culture in the business sense. They had players and administrators who were passionate about making the club something special and now it's an absolute monster of a local club. I guess what I'm trying to say is it takes more than one exceptional player to make a club successful. Every single person employed by the GCFC needs to on board and pulling in the same directions for this club to turn things around.
The Sharks were left more than $3 million by a benifactor that the ground is named after, this was used to build the club and pokies, the pokies now generate the funds that allow for further growth. I would suggest the sharks are the richest AFL club in Australia ( outside the AFL)

The Suns have the same opportunity on the Southern end of the GC, around Broadbeach, I have been saying this for years as the club needs to find a way to generate cash outside of football.

The Sharks were left more than $3 million by a benifactor that the ground is named after, this was used to build the club and pokies, the pokies now generate the funds that allow for further growth. I would suggest the sharks are the richest AFL club in Australia ( outside the AFL)

The Suns have the same opportunity on the Southern end of the GC, around Broadbeach, I have been saying this for years as the club needs to find a way to generate cash outside of football.
The late great Wally Fankhauser. Having a wealthy backer certainly helped the Sharks survive in the 80s/early 90s when they nearly went bankrupt but the really crucial moment in history that allowed them to become a powerhouse was the QLD Government's passing of the Gaming Machine Act in 1991. Prior to the Act being passed, it was commonplace for south east Queenslanders to travel to the NSW border to engage in gambling, particularly on the poker machines. It was a massive factor behind the Seagulls Leagues Club (based in Tweed Heads) being hugely profitable at the time when they had their own professional NSWRL/NRL team. A few years later the Seagulls had to withdraw from the league due to financial issues and the Sharks were going from strength to strength financially. Coincidence? Not at all.

You're absolutely right about the Suns needing to find other ways to create revenue. A hotel in Surfers Paradise had previously been floated but I think the Titans' failed venture with the Titanium Bar in the same suburb may have spooked the Suns from investigating it further. These days the club seems to be keen on hosting musical acts and renting out their training facilities as a way of making more money outside of their AFL related activities. We know Bon Jovi will be performing at Metricon next year and the Brisbane Heat have already indicated they want to host a BBL game at Metricon next summer. Those two events alone should raise at least a million dollars for the Suns. Going forward beyond 2018, I think we'll see a big push for the Gold Coast to have its own BBL team which will allow the Suns 4/5x more opportunities to make revenue over the summer months when Metricon hosts BBL home games. I've also heard there are plans to continue securing musical acts for Metricon each year. We also know there are plans to extend the light rail to Metricon so I think we'll see crowds really grow once the precinct becomes more accessible to the public.

So there you go. The club's future looks reasonably bright off field. They really just need to sort out the on field product.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back