Contenders for a break out year in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

I am genuinely curious to see how Starc goes in 2020. In his few games this year he looked very comfortable and showed elite closing speed when playing in defence. I think he could find himself best 22 this year in a number of positions - not sure if that'll be 2020 or 2021, but think it's a matter of time.

Would he have enough muscle mass? Always had this impression that he was a string bean but maybe he has muscled up.

Nah I hope he doesn't end up trying to out muscle opponents.
He could lead and mark for a change, we'll all be in shock when that happens.

I dont know if or when I will stop feeling nauseous every time I read all the unconditional love given to Jarrod Berry however, feedback I have heard is that Berry has already reached another elite level in fitness this pre season which goes well in your prediction above.

How do you guys think the introduction of CEY will affect his opportunity though? After and injury interrupted + glandular fever, and then injuries during the season, my pick would have been Jarrod if he has a strong PS for 2020.

Bringing in CEY, along with having E. Smith and Robertson looming (not as much of a threat), I wonder just how much pure inside mid time he will get to really stamp his spot as a gun midfielder, or if he's gonna be chucked into a forward pocket again a lot of the time?

Personally in all honesty id just like to see him running around with both arms out clotheslining everyone

Personally in all honesty id just like to see him running around with both arms out clotheslining everyone

If his opponents' necks runs into his outstretched arm, that's their own damn fault.

How do you guys think the introduction of CEY will affect his opportunity though? After and injury interrupted + glandular fever, and then injuries during the season, my pick would have been Jarrod if he has a strong PS for 2020.

Bringing in CEY, along with having E. Smith and Robertson looming (not as much of a threat), I wonder just how much pure inside mid time he will get to really stamp his spot as a gun midfielder, or if he's gonna be chucked into a forward pocket again a lot of the time?

On a serious note Noble said they are bringing CEY to buffer the loads on the midfield and play a few different roles. Does CEY perhaps push J Lyons out at times allowing Berry to play purely inside or do we utilise his tank and presence to provide the shutdown role this year when the comp is more even than it has been for a while

On a serious note Noble said they are bringing CEY to buffer the loads on the midfield and play a few different roles. Does CEY perhaps push J Lyons out at times allowing Berry to play purely inside or do we utilise his tank and presence to provide the shutdown role this year when the comp is more even than it has been for a while

Imagine having such depth that JL can spend more time forward? He and CEY are very serviceable up forward.

Imagine having such depth that JL can spend more time forward? He and CEY are very serviceable up forward.
It's deadly depth, and I'd be interested to see if they do use CEY out of a high HF role how they might try to get more out of Rayner. Can he generate more little leads while KPDs try to deal with Hipwood McStay and CEY.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's deadly depth, and I'd be interested to see if they do use CEY out of a high HF role how they might try to get more out of Rayner. Can he generate more little leads while KPDs try to deal with Hipwood McStay and CEY.

I’d personally be pushing CEY deeper than HF. He’s tall and got good reach, but he’s not one to go on big leads, and whiles he’s a good mover in close, on the outside he always seems to look a little sluggish and laconic.

Definitely push Rayner a little higher up instead I reckon. CEY is suited to playing one out when he goes forward.

Would you really want to move Lyons out of the midfield given just how dominant he was in the second half of the season? I know he’s very much capable of jagging a few goals. But then again so is Berry. It’s a great problem to have!

I’d personally be pushing CEY deeper than HF. He’s tall and got good reach, but he’s not one to go on big leads, and whiles he’s a good mover in close, on the outside he always seems to look a little sluggish and laconic.

Definitely push Rayner a little higher up instead I reckon. CEY is suited to playing one out when he goes forward.

Would you really want to move Lyons out of the midfield given just how dominant he was in the second half of the season? I know he’s very much capable of jagging a few goals. But then again so is Berry. It’s a great problem to have!
Rayner has always wanted to develop into a mid/fwd rather than fwd/mid. I just don't know if it's this year that happens. I don't think Lyons will get pushed out just trying to think how we can feasibly fit a CEY at the top of his game in to the firsts. Id like to see him follow Jeremy Cameron around when we play GWS just to watch him crap dacks. Great problems to have, I think we do game style and match sim in our Tassie camp coming up so we will hopefully get a clearer idea of how we are looking soon.

Last few years I've said Allison but I'm starting to give up hope...

Charlie and Hipwood will get extra attention and work this year so it's prime for Rayner and McStay to tear it up.

Last edited:
Last few years I've said Allison but I'm starting to give up hope...

Charlie and Hipwood will get extra attention and work this year so it's prime for Rayner and McStay to tear it up.
Can you explain how Charlie & Hippy get any more attention this year than last year? Hippy has been taking the oppositions best key defender now since he was 19 years old while Charlie was probably the oppositions #1 main forward to contain for most of the 2019 season. How much additional attention can the opposition apply to both these guys?
People have been saying that McStay is going to have a break out year now for 3 years straight. Thus far he shows glimpses of what he is capable of but rarely does that hang around for any more than 5-10 minutes a game. I would love Dan to "tear it up" this season but I just cant see him doing any more than he has in previous years.
I think Cam will step up a level or 2 in 2020 however his tank is still not what it needs to be (although much better than in 2019) to play a game where he impacts over 4 quarters. In my opinion he will be damaging in spurts but wont tear it up until his tank increases to a level where he can mix it with other players with a similar profile.
On a positive note, I believe we will see an incremental "across the board" improvement from all the players which for me is more exciting and will have more impact on our performance than individuals stepping up. The list is so young so maturity & games under their belt can only improve our performances.

Can you explain how Charlie & Hippy get any more attention this year than last year? Hippy has been taking the oppositions best key defender now since he was 19 years old while Charlie was probably the oppositions #1 main forward to contain for most of the 2019 season. How much additional attention can the opposition apply to both these guys?
People have been saying that McStay is going to have a break out year now for 3 years straight. Thus far he shows glimpses of what he is capable of but rarely does that hang around for any more than 5-10 minutes a game. I would love Dan to "tear it up" this season but I just cant see him doing any more than he has in previous years.
I think Cam will step up a level or 2 in 2020 however his tank is still not what it needs to be (although much better than in 2019) to play a game where he impacts over 4 quarters. In my opinion he will be damaging in spurts but wont tear it up until his tank increases to a level where he can mix it with other players with a similar profile.
On a positive note, I believe we will see an incremental "across the board" improvement from all the players which for me is more exciting and will have more impact on our performance than individuals stepping up. The list is so young so maturity & games under their belt can only improve our performances.

Im years gone by, all fans had to hang their hats on were the individually 'brilliant' players like Rockliff and Hanley. What we have now is a brilliant TEAM in the making which is bloody exciting.

I reckon a lot of our opponents will focus on clogging up the areas that Cameron likes to run into, so I do think that creates opportunities for Rayner.

My suspicion is that teams will defend deeper against us in 2020. I think a lot of coaches will have noticed that GWS managed to hold on late in that semi with numbers behind the ball, before pinching a late goal to win it. Geelong very nearly got a win with similar tactics in round 22. So we'll probably need to adjust in some way.

It'd be great to see improvement across the board, but most likely there'll be snakes and ladders. We just had so many players with career best seasons in 2019, and it's likely some of them will level off or go backwards slightly. Improvement often happens in fits and spurts.

Sorry guys one other question, if Martin goes down or starts to fade as the year goes on, who takes the ruck. Omac came on in leaps and bounds next year, and didnt look all that out of place in the ruck? Do you guys expect him to take the ruck duties with another player coming in to play the forward/relief ruck role, or will Archie Smith get the gig as primary ruck and Omac will always continue his forward/ruck duties?

Sorry guys one other question, if Martin goes down or starts to fade as the year goes on, who takes the ruck. Omac came on in leaps and bounds next year, and didnt look all that out of place in the ruck? Do you guys expect him to take the ruck duties with another player coming in to play the forward/relief ruck role, or will Archie Smith get the gig as primary ruck and Omac will always continue his forward/ruck duties?
Quite probable that Archie comes in and Omac stays as is. That would keep things simple. But I wouldnt be surprised in OMac took the main role and we gave one of the youngsters a chance at the Fwd/Ruck role. Ballenden or Fullerton could be an option there

Quite probable that Archie comes in and Omac stays as is. That would keep things simple. But I wouldnt be surprised in OMac took the main role and we gave one of the youngsters a chance at the Fwd/Ruck role. Ballenden or Fullerton could be an option there
Poor Archie😕
I do think that if it were Stef that went down? I reckon Archie would get a go, but it may not last long if things don’t work?
Then I think Ballenden will get a go first as Ruck/forward and O’Mac will go into a more permanent ruck role, just resting forward.
If it were O’Mac who went down then I can’t imagine Archie being in consideration at all and Ballenden might get the nod unless they want a smaller more mobile type and give Wooller a go Forward and use Dan McStay as a chop out for Stef.
If there is a long term injury to Stef in particular, Eagles might get the call up as the closest option to Stef as a mobile ruck option.

Probably depends a lot on form. You’d suspect Archie for Stef would be the obvious move but if nobody is putting their name forward in the 2s we could go with Oscar in the ruck and McStay second rucking.

Could even see Payne down back and Andrews forward/ruck.

Probably depends a lot on form. You’d suspect Archie for Stef would be the obvious move but if nobody is putting their name forward in the 2s we could go with Oscar in the ruck and McStay second rucking.

Could even see Payne down back and Andrews forward/ruck.

I suspect unless O has significantly improved his tank from last year we'd probably want to run a second genuine Ruck rather than a pinch hitter just to give him more chances to rest. Get another year of seniors into him and the equation may change but I reckon that'll be the case through 2020

Archie does seem the obvious first candidate for that role, but if being primary Ruck means we play OMac more in the middle than up forward we may want someone a bit more agile and versatile

Remove this Banner Ad

Back