Corey Enright

Remove this Banner Ad

Ball use is safe but not super-creative. This is probably the knock some have on him. He's a defence-first backman rather than one of the new, showier breed.

You've got to be joking. Care to name a more creative user on the HBF? Like Scarlett, he rarely thumps it long, but always holds it until he can find a guy in good position to start a scoring chain. Is also the best in the league at disguising where his kick is going - he was the first player in the AFL that I know of to intentionally skew drop punts off the outside of the boot, in effect creating lookaway passes.

He's not showy in the sense that he doesn't run and carry or break lines, but for creativity he's got just about everyone covered.

He's not showy in the sense that he doesn't run and carry or break lines

This is what I meant. Doesn't often use the ball long or venture far from home. More a link in the chain when it comes to rebounding, but a very reliable one.

This is what I meant. Doesn't often use the ball long or venture far from home. More a link in the chain when it comes to rebounding, but a very reliable one.

Fair enough. But I'd suggest the chains he initiates more often lead to goals than those of someone like Shaw, say.

It's the same criticism some had of Pendlebury; he doesn't kick it long, he doesn't carry the ball etc. Ultimately, if you can get a guy 30m upfield an uncontested possession, you're doing a better job than the 80m run and kick to a contest.

Fair enough. But I'd suggest the chains he initiates more often lead to goals than those of someone like Shaw, say.

It's the same criticism some had of Pendlebury; he doesn't kick it long, he doesn't carry the ball etc. Ultimately, if you can get a guy 30m upfield an uncontested possession, you're doing a better job than the 80m run and kick to a contest.

Mmmm, he must be doing something right to win b&f's in premiership years, even if I don't rate him as highly as e.g. Mike Sheahan.

Enright wins his second B&F in a premiership year. Many rate it as probably the single highest honour in football and now Enright has done it twice. He has been a brilliant footballer for a long time now and just keeps on performing. Many think he gets token AA selections as well but he deserves them. 4 AA's in a row \ji8i7. The guy is damn good and has done enough to make the HOF now imo.

Second best HBF'er I've seen behind McLeod.

Is Boris, Is Good

Unsung hero. Gun footballer no doubt. I would probably have Bluey McKenna ahead of him though in the top 2.

A great player some players are said to play out of there skins Boris has been known to play out of his shorts

CEnrightR222007_1.jpg

plus the guy can really wear a hat

_EnrightGF_a%5B1%5D.jpg

Ball use is safe but not super-creative. This is probably the knock some have on him. He's a defence-first backman rather than one of the new, showier breed.

A defenders job is to defend first and foremost. Creativity is a bonus.

You've got to be joking. Care to name a more creative user on the HBF? Like Scarlett, he rarely thumps it long, but always holds it until he can find a guy in good position to start a scoring chain. Is also the best in the league at disguising where his kick is going - he was the first player in the AFL that I know of to intentionally skew drop punts off the outside of the boot, in effect creating lookaway passes.

He's not showy in the sense that he doesn't run and carry or break lines, but for creativity he's got just about everyone covered.

Does it with handballs as well. At first you would think because he can't handball on his left but you catch on pretty quickly.

Fantastic footballer.

A defenders job is to defend first and foremost. Creativity is a bonus.

Yes and no. It's Will Thursfield's inability to create that sees him on the trade table every October (and no I'm not comparing their defensive skills). Enright does it well enough, just never struck me as exceptional at it.

Not potting Enright at all, just trying to get a realistic perspective on him which can be difficult following a premiership when everyone wants to wax lyrical.

Yes and no. It's Will Thursfield's inability to create that sees him on the trade table every October (and no I'm not comparing their defensive skills). Enright does it well enough, just never struck me as exceptional at it.

Not potting Enright at all, just trying to get a realistic perspective on him which can be difficult following a premiership when everyone wants to wax lyrical.

I get where you are coming from Ron, and to be fair you clearly rate Enright and in some ways are playing Devil's Advocate, trying to go against the post-GF hype.

But other posters in this thread have been spot on with their assessments of Enright's strengths, and they are manifold; as a defender, he has developed a genuinely defensive mindset over time, which isn't to be under-valued; as far as mid-to-small defenders go he is among the most versatile, consistent and effective when it comes to defeating his often highly rated opponents.

But when he gets the ball, and credit to my fellow bigfooty posters for identifying these traits, he is very adept at a) spotting up a loose player in the corridor, which to the casual fan might seem a simple enough task but in the maelstrom of AFL football can prove to be like attempting to thread the eye of a needle, and b) disguising his disposals in a manner that almost looks sloppy to the naked eye, but after repeated viewings is proven to be a surreptitious method of disposal, which often benefits his team in pressure situations (kudos to both mdc and half_back_flank for recognising this talent).

He is a player to be celebrated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get where you are coming from Ron, and to be fair you clearly rate Enright and in some ways are playing Devil's Advocate, trying to go against the post-GF hype.

But other posters in this thread have been spot on with their assessments of Enright's strengths, and they are manifold; as a defender, he has developed a genuinely defensive mindset over time, which isn't to be under-valued; as far as mid-to-small defenders go he is among the most versatile, consistent and effective when it comes to defeating his often highly rated opponents.

But when he gets the ball, and credit to my fellow bigfooty posters for identifying these traits, he is very adept at a) spotting up a loose player in the corridor, which to the casual fan might seem a simple enough task but in the maelstrom of AFL football can prove to be like attempting to thread the eye of a needle, and b) disguising his disposals in a manner that almost looks sloppy to the naked eye, but after repeated viewings is proven to be a surreptitious method of disposal, which often benefits his team in pressure situations (kudos to both mdc and half_back_flank for recognising this talent).

He is a player to be celebrated.

Part of it is annoyance at the refusal to recognise Deledio. While he's still learning the defensive caper and you'd pick Enright ahead of him to win a GF tomorrow, his numbers stack up very well in comparison. Yet there are constant calls that he doesn't take the game on enough (which he does better than Enright), or that he plays too loose (despite conceding just 14 goals for the year to his direct opponents).

Slightly different players, but that one is four-times AA while the other isn't even on the map, irks me. There ain't that much between them.

The huge difference is Geelong win games, players get recognised in a winning team that someone in a losing team doing the same thing never will.

That's just it. The perspective is warped, and warped further by e.g. Michael Voss tearing strips off a 20yo Deledio from the commentary box when he has 17 marks in a back pocket in a team that's getting annihilated.

But I don't want to sidetrack the thread, and accept the views put forward here that Enright is better than I've previously given him credit for.

For me Enright epitomises what is great about this Geelong side. They are not a team full of flashy "athletes" but they are a team full of "footballer's footballers". Bartel, Ling, Kelly, Corey, et al.

Deserves to be thought of as one of the greats of the modern era.

This is SPOT ON!

I also believe when it comes to the crunch, these are the blokes you want in your side. Class is permanent. The core players in their side are all genuine footballers who can read the play beautifully, pick the right option, hold an important mark and dispose of the ball under pressure.

Even their ruckman Ottens is a good all round footballer and not just an uncordinated giant with a decent leap.

I hope that the success of Geelong leads to a resurgence in drafting 'footballers' and not just blokes who are tall, fast, fit with a large leap.

This is spot on, good post. A Boris pass seems hardest to read watching on tele also, occasionally gets my heart in my mouth with what seems to be a wobbly chip coming out of the backline, before I realise he's actually spotted someone in space in the corridor and chastise myself for doubting him.

Does it with handballs as well. At first you would think because he can't handball on his left but you catch on pretty quickly.

Has anyone noticed he always handballs with his hand 90 degrees to the normal technique? Like he'll hit it with all 4 knuckles, the inside of his hand I guess you would describe it as?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back