Corona virus, Port and the AFL. Part 4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweden seems to be doing well. Have maintained a really low level of deaths after their initial surge in which everyone called them murderous and careless. Currently zero restrictions and no masks and doing fine.

Maybe the initial surge in cases and taking the hit of deaths early on enabled them to build up some strong immunity, where as we locked ourselves up and delayed the enevitable? We'll eventually get to 15k deaths too, but in a much slower drawn out fashion.

Sweden has a high vaccination rate. That's definitely helped.

Also, Sweden's death toll per capita from the virus during the pandemic is much higher than those of its Nordic neighbours, but lower than most European countries that opted for lockdowns.

The unvaccinated will face some restrictions.

"Not getting vaccinated means that you cannot return to the every-day life we had before 2020. The Swedish Public Health Agency will shortly return with special advice and instructions for the unvaccinated," Health Agency Head Johan Carlson said.

Last edited:
This is definitely correct. John Key (the long-term conservative referred to earlier) is actually the bloke that got gay marriage legalised in NZ.

I'd say the right-wing here would be considered "left" in the vast majority of the world.

Thank * we had our left leaning progressive, Malcolm Turnbull, get gay marriage legislation passed before the conservative govt here had them all rounded up and shot.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest NZ is more progressive than us, despite conservative groups being in power before Jacinda.

Look at their banning of native logging, policies on refugees and treatment/acknowledgement of Maori people compared to us. Plus being ahead on gay marriage etc.

I'm not an expert on NZ politics but maybe their "right wing" is not as far right as our nats/Tony Abbott types and their Labour party certainly seems more left than ours is. The ALP is basically centrist/middle right these days.
Yeah, 'left-wing' and 'right-wing' parties are relative to the prevailing attitudes of their country. Someone like Joe Biden would be a Turnbull-esque socially progressive financially conservative LNP member if he was Australian, yet in the US he's the leader of the supposed left-wing party. It's all relative.

Sweden has a high vaccination rate. That's definitely helped.

Also, Sweden's death toll per capita from the virus during the pandemic is much higher than those of its Nordic neighbours, but lower than most European countries that opted for lockdowns.

Correct but there's a return to normalcy combined with a low case rate and death rate that we aren't seeing in many other Western countries.

COVID-19 vaccination booster shots will begin in Australia’s aged care sector next month, ahead of population-wide rollout in time for Christmas.
Announcing the nation had passed the 70 per cent full vaccination threshold on Wednesday, Health Minister Greg Hunt said he expected Australians who had already received two doses would receive an mRNA booster shot in this year or early next year, subject to advice from the Therapeutic Goods Administration and the government’s expert immunisation panel.
Third shots for about 500,000 people with compromised immune systems are already under way in Australia, but the wider booster program is still subject to expert advice from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation.
Mr Hunt said he expected boosters would be offered to everyone at once, rather than in a staged, age-based program, as used for the first and second vaccine shots.
“My understanding is, every state and territory has a spare capacity at this point in time, and we want to keep the machine running to keep the program rolling,” he said on Wednesday.
Vaccine mixing is also likely: Australians who received the AstraZeneca vaccine will get a Pfizer, Moderna or Novavax booster once approvals are made.
The federal government is more than doubling its stocks of the Pfizer vaccine for an arsenal of booster shots.
It has deals for 60 million additional Pfizer doses due to arrive next year and 25 million in 2023, in addition to 15 million variant-specific versions of Moderna’s mRNA jab.

Correct but there's a return to normalcy combined with a low case rate and death rate that we aren't seeing in many other Western countries.
Because Scandinavians do as their told, they have a very low crime rate , no where near as many antisocial dickheads as we have here. Low case rates makes sense when the average household in Sweden is around 2 people unlike here and many western countries where we have demographics with many living in one household, many also worked from home prior to the pandemic and they value science and health advice very seriously . They're a completely different breed over there.

Vaccination will become mandatory across a range of new industries covering about 75 per cent of the WA’s workforce, Premier Mark McGowan has announced.
Workers in Group 1 — those industries determined to have high transmission risk, a vulnerability risk or critical to the safety of the community — would need to be fully vaccinated by the end of the year.
This includes:
cross-border freight workers (high and extreme risk locations only)
public and private hospitals and public healthcare facilities
primary and community health
onsite resources sector workers
border and air transport
staff working in or entering remote Aboriginal communities
community care services
corrective services staff,
police
Fire and Emergency Services (excluding volunteers)
abattoirs and meat processing workers

Adelaide Oval should consider mandating vaccinations, says police commissioner
Mr Stevens said it would be "wise" for Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority to consider requiring vaccination for next year's AFL season.

Good idea

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Adelaide Oval should consider mandating vaccinations, says police commissioner
Mr Stevens said it would be "wise" for Adelaide Oval Stadium Management Authority to consider requiring vaccination for next year's AFL season.

Good idea

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Hopefully the coach is anti vax then

Sweden, Finland and Denmark have higher murder rates than Australia. Only Norway is lower but they get their kicks out of slaughtering whales.

It's 0.8 per 100k vs 1.1-1.2 per 100k. Tell me what insightful inferences you're drawing from that?

Good thing they didn't use Norway's stats from the year Anders Breivik went Martin Bryant on the population.

Because Scandinavians do as their told, they have a very low crime rate , no where near as many antisocial dickheads as we have here. Low case rates makes sense when the average household in Sweden is around 2 people unlike here and many western countries where we have demographics with many living in one household, many also worked from home prior to the pandemic and they value science and health advice very seriously . They're a completely different breed over there.

This is even more tone deaf than your last post about NZ.

Sweden have no restrictions and had one of the most relaxed approaches when it comes to lockdowns. Nothing you just posted acknowledges that at all.

In fact, I'm almost certain that if I go back in your posting history I'd find something about how they ****ed everything up with their strategy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sweden have no restrictions and had one of the most relaxed approaches when it comes to lockdowns. Nothing you just posted acknowledges that at all.

In fact, I'm almost certain that if I go back in your posting history I'd find something about how they f’ed everything up with their strategy.

Not sure this is the gotcha moment you think it is.

Wasn't the discussion about Sweden now?

They can be doing things right now, but it doesn't mean that their initial strategy was a successful one. The fact they had to change tack and abandon the "do nothing" strategy kinda proves that it wasn't.

They can be doing things right now, but it doesn't mean that their initial strategy was a successful one. The fact they had to change tack and abandon the "do nothing" strategy kinda proves that it wasn't.

See my initial post where I said we'd get to that death rate too but at a slower pace.
They had a strategy from the beginning and as of now, it has worked. You can't say it was a fail initially when they were playing a long game from the beginning.

They took a hit, which we will have to take ourselves but its going to take a lot longer.

See my initial post where I said we'd get to that death rate too but at a slower pace.
They had a strategy from the beginning and as of now, it has worked. You can't say it was a fail initially when they were playing a long game from the beginning.

They took a hit, which we will have to take ourselves but its going to take a lot longer.

Not really. Deaths there aren't gonna stop and once you have a similar level of vaccination you can expect the death rates to be similar.

It makes no difference other than they had a lot more people die earlier. I'd much rather be in our position.

Are you arguing they've already killed off the vulnerable population so there won't be as many deaths?

Their strategy didn't work, because too many people were getting sick and dying. That's not a good strategy. It's like saying the UK had a better strategy than us because now they have less restrictions. Yeah and they've got 130,000 corpses or whatever. Ours is what, 1500?

So NSW had a successful strategy for eighteen months but ****ed it up once recently and they are terrible?

But Sweden ****ed it up for eighteen months before getting it right and they're great?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

In fact, I'm almost certain that if I go back in your posting history I'd find something about how they f’ed everything up with their strategy.
They had one of the most relaxed policies INITIALLY and cases skyrocketed compared to their neighbours, they then brought in tougher restrictions. Their hospitals weren’t coping and they had to ask adjoining countries who were handling covid19 better for assistance in that area too.

Not really. Deaths there aren't gonna stop and once you have a similar level of vaccination you can expect the death rates to be similar.

Deaths anywhere won't stop. That's a fact of life.
Their cases and deaths have absolutely plateaud though - something that a place like the UK could only dream of at the moment.

It makes no difference other than they had a lot more people die earlier. I'd much rather be in our position.

Earlier or later after having ensured harsh lockdowns. The jury is out on which one most people would prefer. This virus still kills the old and the sick who are fully vaccinated.

Are you arguing they've already killed off the vulnerable population so there won't be as many deaths?

No. There's a thing called natural immunity, like I said in my original post. What is this warped idea you have that everyone that catches the virus dies? That's insane.

Their strategy didn't work, because too many people were getting sick and dying. That's not a good strategy. It's like saying the UK had a better strategy than us because now they have less restrictions. Yeah and they've got 130,000 corpses or whatever. Ours is what, 1500?

Ours will keep going up because we haven't built any natural immunity. As our leaders are now saying, we have to live with this virus and its consequences.

They had one of the most relaxed policies INITIALLY and cases skyrocketed compared to their neighbours, they then brought in tougher restrictions. Their hospitals weren’t coping and they had to ask adjoining countries who were handling covid19 better for assistance in that area too.

They had restrictions, never said they didn't. They did not have any hard, fast, snap, circuit breaker lockdowns like we did. Masks were reccomended but not enforced, same with gatherings at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back