Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

I imagine that the 2 instances Delre refers to are

(a) post 2752 where I supported Mattdougie’s view that the riots in the US are beyond support for Floyd and are participants causing trouble. I doubted that this was a genuine Black Lives Matter protest and questioned the basis of that movement. I supported my position with statistics. Nobody took issue with that until Delre bobbed up with his ‘ignorant and offended’ line;

(b) post 2786. Bidens’ ‘original sin of this country stills stains our country today’. It’s nonsense. Had I been asked to expand I would have said and do say that it’s a cop out. Slavery was abolished in 1865, that’s 155 years ago. What racism there is in the US is the fault of current Americans, not their forbears.

I don’t want to be hard on Delre but I doubt he read either post carefully or even watched the Video of Biden giving the usual ‘our hearts go out to you’ American politicians’ line which they trot out whenever there is a mass shooting, especially at Schools, but do nothing about it. I imagine Delre feels very virtuous.

I hadn’t intended responding to Delre’s post. This post is in appreciation of Scragcity, he’s dead right, you shouldn’t tolerate the shut down of opinior or debate by pulling out the woke ‘offended’.

I’ve just spotted your addition, Scragcity. If by ‘formatted’ you intend the usual meaning, set out, I do the best I can, it’d be better if the software recognised Excel or Word formatting. If you mean content, that’s fine, you don’t have to agree with me, drivel's a bit harsh but at least you didn't write 'dribble'.
A more ignorant point of view I'm not sure I've seen.

You're right the protests are now about more than Floyd's death, but I'm not sure you'd understand or rather, care to understand if I tried to explain so I'm not going to bother.

You're also not interested in the numerous peaceful protests that are being carried out across the US and the world. The media like to focus on the dramatic and fear inducing, as such those have not been covered nearly as much.

It's easy to say to fob institutionalised racism off as "nonsense" when you're not affected by it or do not understand it. edit: or at least attempted to.

I imagine that the 2 instances Delre refers to are

(a) post 2752 where I supported Mattdougie’s view that the riots in the US are beyond support for Floyd and are participants causing trouble. I doubted that this was a genuine Black Lives Matter protest and questioned the basis of that movement. I supported my position with statistics. Nobody took issue with that until Delre bobbed up with his ‘ignorant and offended’ line;

(b) post 2786. Bidens’ ‘original sin of this country stills stains our country today’. It’s nonsense. Had I been asked to expand I would have said and do say that it’s a cop out. Slavery was abolished in 1865, that’s 155 years ago. What racism there is in the US is the fault of current Americans, not their forbears.

I don’t want to be hard on Delre but I doubt he read either post carefully or even watched the Video of Biden giving the usual ‘our hearts go out to you’ American politicians’ line which they trot out whenever there is a mass shooting, especially at Schools, but do nothing about it. I imagine Delre feels very virtuous.

I hadn’t intended responding to Delre’s post. This post is in appreciation of Scragcity, he’s dead right, you shouldn’t tolerate the shut down of opinior or debate by pulling out the woke ‘offended’.

I’ve just spotted your addition, Scragcity. If by ‘formatted’ you intend the usual meaning, set out, I do the best I can, it’d be better if the software recognised Excel or Word formatting. If you mean content, that’s fine, you don’t have to agree with me, drivel's a bit harsh but at least you didn't write 'dribble'.

It's not harsh at all. I'm not claiming everything you post is drivel but certainly some of it is. Post #2,755 stands out.

Not sure about the rest of you, but I've come to the conclusion that I will enjoy this discussion far more by putting this poster on ignore. Not for the constant dribble/drivel, nor making assumptions about other posters based on no evidence, more for the "I'm smarter than all of you" inferences. I'm assuming he's from the Trump "I've got a h-u-g-e brain" brigade. Problem is, Neanderthals had bigger brains by size than modern homo sapiens too, so there's an inference I don't need to spell out.

Black lives matter - not more than anyone else, but the same as everyone else. All lives matter, and the factually verifiable ratios which black deaths in custody or in interaction with police exceed their representation in the general population is an indictment on both countries. I don't think the blame lies with any one group or sector of our current society, but addressing these issues is the collective responsibility of society, in the same way as domestic violence and child abuse and more general racism and cruelty to animals behoves us all to call them out.

I hope the protests here on the weekend are well-attended, and peaceful, and as far as possible comply with social distancing instructions. Peaceful protests can change society for the better, and bring people together. Introducing violence into a protest serves no purpose at all, from or for either side.

Not sure about the rest of you, but I've come to the conclusion that I will enjoy this discussion far more by putting this poster on ignore. Not for the constant dribble/drivel, nor making assumptions about other posters based on no evidence, more for the "I'm smarter than all of you" inferences. I'm assuming he's from the Trump "I've got a h-u-g-e brain" brigade. Problem is, Neanderthals had bigger brains by size than modern homo sapiens too, so there's an inference I don't need to spell out.

Black lives matter - not more than anyone else, but the same as everyone else. All lives matter, and the factually verifiable ratios which black deaths in custody or in interaction with police exceed their representation in the general population is an indictment on both countries. I don't think the blame lies with any one group or sector of our current society, but addressing these issues is the collective responsibility of society, in the same way as domestic violence and child abuse and more general racism and cruelty to animals behoves us all to call them out.

I hope the protests here on the weekend are well-attended, and peaceful, and as far as possible comply with social distancing instructions. Peaceful protests can change society for the better, and bring people together. Introducing violence into a protest serves no purpose at all, from or for either side.

Great post. Great great post.

ALL lives matter.

Agree with what you've said, except for the protests.

In normal times I'd absolutely be all for it. But right now, we're in the midst of a pandemic, and close to 'beating' it. No matter how far people can try to comply with social distancing, gathering thousands together to protest risks months of hard work, and potentially delays the lifting of lockdown restrictions if suddenly 50+ people catch it and spread it around.

I support the message, but am strongly against any protests being held about it (for now).

Agree with what you've said, except for the protests.

In normal times I'd absolutely be all for it. But right now, we're in the midst of a pandemic, and close to 'beating' it. No matter how far people can try to comply with social distancing, gathering thousands together to protest risks months of hard work, and potentially delays the lifting of lockdown restrictions if suddenly 50+ people catch it and spread it around.

I support the message, but am strongly against any protests being held about it (for now).

Fair enough, I take your point. Not sure if there’s a happy medium tbh, not sure how people can make an effective point like this digitally?

It's not harsh at all. I'm not claiming everything you post is drivel but certainly some of it is. Post #2,755 stands out.

Interesting he singles Biden out amongst all chaos that is the US right now , for some very benign words .
Trumps the actual President and in charge , and by any measure is just plain pathetic.
All I hear from Mr Mitchell re Trump is crickets ?

" don't pesume to know my politics ". Dear me 😂

Fair enough, I take your point. Not sure if there’s a happy medium tbh, not sure how people can make an effective point like this digitally?
Yeah there's not really an equivalent way to do it unfortunately, besides tweeting or posting an Instagram image which you could argue achieves very little (some may say protesting doesn't do much more either). My opinion is that any potential benefits which could come from such a protest do not come close to outweighing the risks, and ideally any such actions should be delayed by 3-6 months.

I'm not one to protest myself but I think it's important that people can do so if they choose, just not in the middle of a pandemic.

Interesting times.

Heyyyyyyyyy don’t drag me into this

I did say the RIOTS have very little to do with Mr Floyd but that has nothing to do with the protests or history of racism in the USA.

I’m not going to give my input here as many wont like some of it but I’ve made no comment regarding the reasons behind this issue

Cheers, thanks and stay safe

I will say I think the coverage and blame game of this has been as expected again and is a part of the problem also.

Interesting he singles Biden out amongst all chaos that is the US right now , for some very benign words .
Trumps the actual President and in charge , and by any measure is just plain pathetic.
All I hear from Mr Mitchell re Trump is crickets ?

" don't pesume to know my politics ". Dear me 😂

Don't pay attention to what Biden says. It's gobbledygook at the best of times. Pay attention to his actions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If by ‘formatted’ you intend the usual meaning, set out, I do the best I can, it’d be better if the software recognised Excel or Word formatting.

Hi DM. I promised maddog37 I'd abstain from the political/philosophical debate so I'm not going to get drawn in (unless it's specifically related to Covid19) but if you want to use Excel tables it's very easy. Not formulae or advanced formatting though, just data values.

Just select and copy the block of Excel cells you want to post and then paste them into your BF thread reply. So you'd use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V if that's the way you normally do cut and paste.

For example I created a table of top contributors to this thread in Excel and copied them here. As you can see it looks a bit ugly because it spreads right across the page.

1Mattdougie
238​
2LittleG
226​
3dogwatch
197​
4D Mitchell
184​
5King Harold
162​
6NBates
130​
7ScragCity
96​
8Sentinel
82​
9Dogs_R_Us
70​
10Fossie 32
70​

So what you do in your thread reply box after you've pasted in the table (as above) is left-click anywhere in that table. (I hope you're not philosophically opposed to left-clicking.)

It'll pop up a little bar of 5 icons, the right-most of which looks like a paintbrush. Click on that paintbrush and you get a drop down menu, the third item of which is "Collapse". Just click on Collapse and it snugs it all down to look like this:
1Mattdougie
238​
2LittleG
226​
3dogwatch
197​
4D Mitchell
184​
5King Harold
162​
6NBates
130​
7ScragCity
96​
8Sentinel
82​
9Dogs_R_Us
70​
10Fossie 32
70​

Much neater, eh?

You can also create an empty table in your post by clicking on the 23rd icon on the thread reply menu bar (the one that looks like a lattice) and then you populate it with whatever data you want ... but I guess you knew that. Anyway it's not very user-friendly and not very rich in functionality.

There are also ways of getting more complex Excel functions to display such as those I use in the Pieman threads or the Ching. I could explain how that's done but it's a much longer tutorial and I charge 240 dog biscuits per half-hour (time-and-a-half on Saturday mornings and double-time the rest of the weekend). Plus GST of course.

Happy posting.

It's more than semantics. If he is wrong about something then go ahead and explain why. You don't get to tell people to stop posting without providing a more substantial argument to what they've said than "you're ignorant and I'm offended."

To be fair I do understand that it's hard to present a logical argument against the poorly formatted drivel he posts.
Actually I do get to tell people to stop posting for the exact reason you’re saying it’s ok to have made the original ignorant post. And therein lies the futility of defending the right to make a stupid statement necessarily requires a defence of the right to call it out and when its stupidity is self evident it requires no explanation.

Instead though we’ve wasted the opportunity to focus on a really ignorant post and turned it into a side show of free speech. So why don’t we divide and conquer you keep defending the right to say stupid things and I’ll choose the path of calling it out.

Hi DM. I promised maddog37 I'd abstain from the political/philosophical debate so I'm not going to get drawn in (unless it's specifically related to Covid19) but if you want to use Excel tables it's very easy. Not formulae or advanced formatting though, just data values.

Just select and copy the block of Excel cells you want to post and then paste them into your BF thread reply. So you'd use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V if that's the way you normally do cut and paste.

For example I created a table of top contributors to this thread in Excel and copied them here. As you can see it looks a bit ugly because it spreads right across the page.

1Mattdougie
238​
2LittleG
226​
3dogwatch
197​
4D Mitchell
184​
5King Harold
162​
6NBates
130​
7ScragCity
96​
8Sentinel
82​
9Dogs_R_Us
70​
10Fossie 32
70​

So what you do in your thread reply box after you've pasted in the table (as above) is left-click anywhere in that table. (I hope you're not philosophically opposed to left-clicking.)

Much neater, eh?

You can also create an empty table in your post by clicking on the 23rd icon on the thread reply menu bar (the one that looks like a lattice) and then you populate it with whatever data you want ... but I guess you knew that. Anyway it's not very user-friendly and not very rich in functionality.

There are also ways of getting more complex Excel functions to display such as those I use in the Pieman threads or the Ching. I could explain how that's done but it's a much longer tutorial and I charge 240 dog biscuits per half-hour (time-and-a-half on Saturday mornings and double-time the rest of the weekend). Plus GST of course.

Happy posting.

Hello, Dogwatch,

Thanks for your help. I'll have a crack at that. Much obliged.

Last edited:
Hello, Dogwatch,

Thanks for your help. I'll have a crack at that. Much obliged.

first go. Not too successful. I set it out in Excell, copied then plonked in bigfooty.
out
year total deathsWhitesBlacksHispanics
76%​
13%​
18%​
2017​
987​
46%​
22%​
18%​
2018​
996​
40%​
22%​
14%​
2019​
1006​
37%​
23%​
16%​

first go. Not too successful. I set it out in Excell, copied then plonked in bigfooty.
out
yeartotal deathsWhitesBlacksHispanics
76%​
13%​
18%​
2017​
987​
46%​
22%​
18%​
2018​
996​
40%​
22%​
14%​
2019​
1006​
37%​
23%​
16%​

A bit untidy, better than in the original, though.

Thanks again.

out
yeartotal deathsWhitesBlacksHispanics
76%​
13%​
18%​
2017​
987​
46%​
22%​
18%​
2018​
996​
40%​
22%​
14%​
2019​
1006​
37%​
23%​
16%​

Same table, collapsed. Three clicks.

1Mattdougie
238​
2LittleG
226​
3dogwatch
197​
4D Mitchell
184​
5King Harold
162​
6NBates
130​
7ScragCity
96​
8Sentinel
82​
9Dogs_R_Us
70​
10Fossie 32
70​

It'll pop up a little bar of 5 icons, the right-most of which looks like a paintbrush. Click on that paintbrush and you get a drop down menu, the third item of which is "Collapse". Just click on Collapse and it snugs it all down to look like this:
1Mattdougie
238​
2LittleG
226​
3dogwatch
197​
4D Mitchell
184​
5King Harold
162​
6NBates
130​
7ScragCity
96​
8Sentinel
82​
9Dogs_R_Us
70​
10Fossie 32
70​

Much neater, eh?

Happy posting.
I posted 70 times?? 😮
That must have been when Covid19 was still a thing and before this thread strayed off into politics and people started getting abused for their political incorrectness 🥱.

I posted 70 times?? 😮
That must have been when Covid19 was still a thing and before this thread strayed off into politics and people started getting abused for their political incorrectness 🥱.

Not hard to see why the thread has strayed DRU.
Nothing new on these forums , nearly every thread on this board goes off on tangents at some point.
In fact there are many on here that make this point , have strayed themselves. ( not saying you )

Personally I don’t care what is discussed, if it dosn‘t interest me , I don’t get involved.

Also , have no problem with any opposing view at all , but as soon as miss truths are put forward ,it’s hard not to call it out.

Good robust debate is good .

Despite our differences , we all have one unifying force ———. Go The Mighty Bulldogs 🏆🏆

Actually I do get to tell people to stop posting for the exact reason you’re saying it’s ok to have made the original ignorant post. And therein lies the futility of defending the right to make a stupid statement necessarily requires a defence of the right to call it out and when its stupidity is self evident it requires no explanation.

Instead though we’ve wasted the opportunity to focus on a really ignorant post and turned it into a side show of free speech. So why don’t we divide and conquer you keep defending the right to say stupid things and I’ll choose the path of calling it out.

It's not so much an issue of free speech that I was trying to highlight; it was more about effort. Whether or not you agree with him, D Mitchell puts a reasonable amount of effort into most (not all) of his posts. He has provided statistics and sources to support his ideas. If you want to call him out for being wrong then you owe him a bit more effort than just calling him ignorant. Tell him what the mistakes or logical failures are. He is providing more substance to the conversation regardless of whether he is right or wrong than you are when you dismiss his posts as ignorant or offensive. I disagree with almost everything he posts but it at least makes me think (when he's being coherent) and provides a challenge to my befliefs. His posting is what keeps me coming back to this thread. He is not merely playing the role of contrarian/agitator like the other prominent right-leaning poster in this thread does.

It's not so much an issue of free speech that I was trying to highlight; it was more about effort. Whether or not you agree with him, D Mitchell puts a reasonable amount of effort into most (not all) of his posts. He has provided statistics and sources to support his ideas. If you want to call him out for being wrong then you owe him a bit more effort than just calling him ignorant. Tell him what the mistakes or logical failures are. He is providing more substance to the conversation regardless of whether he is right or wrong than you are when you dismiss his posts as ignorant or offensive. I disagree with almost everything he posts but it at least makes me think (when he's being coherent) and provides a challenge to my befliefs. His posting is what keeps me coming back to this thread. He is not merely playing the role of contrarian/agitator like the other prominent right-leaning poster in this thread does.
You want me to explain why saying the BLM movement is nonsense is ignorant? The laughably embarrassing table above constitutes statistics and sources that support what exactly? That BLM is nonsense or racism isn’t an issue in the US?

The post is so self evidently stupid and ignorant it doesn’t warrant anything more than calling it out for what it is.

Has anyone actually stated what they specifically want to happen?

No matter the president unfortunately there have been many incidents to get their ass into gear and do something significant to help fix this issue. What would it take, I mean there has to be a point of acceptance otherwise this will never go away.

tbh i thought the whole protest was about police brutality ?? and possibly forcing to change the way police operate? i know cops in the USA are faced with huge challenges like a lot of people can be armed etc. however it seems this protest is hijacked and made it solely about BLM (if im correct ?)
i have no idea what people around the world want, they're just being sheep. theres discrimination laws to address these issues.

Slavery was abolished in 1865, that’s 155 years ago. What racism there is in the US is the fault of current Americans, not their forbears.

C'mon man...

For somebody who claims to have such a fine tuned sense of American history and society, I find this line to be truly incomprehensible. Surely, you're aware of the Jim Crow laws that operated widely across and beyond the American south in the years immediately post the 13th amendment of 1865 (an amendment so flawed that it still has repercussions today and led directly to the reintroduction of slavery by another name with forced Penal Labor) and right through to the advent of the civil rights movement in the 60's? Like white flight to the then almost exclusively white suburbs in the years post WWII racism is and always has been at the root of their society. In fact its enshrined in their founding document the Declaration of Independence when the founding fathers (you know, those forbears that you hold up on a pedestal) wilfully ignored the issue of slavery when proclaiming that "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

The US. has been striving for a more perfect union since 1776 and is clearly no closer to it today than it was at its inception and to suggest that race is not at the heart of what troubles the place is just incredible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back