Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Flew back to Melbs today. Yeah, looks like I'll be a vegetarian for a few days by the look of my local shops meat section lol.

Fun part of my day today, a lady two rows in front of me on the SkyBus calling her doctor to get her corona virus test results.

I kid you not.

briztoon this is why we can't stop the virus in this country. People like that. Luckily the result came back negative.

I know the 8pm finish has already been instituted for Woolworths. I had a scheduled delivery for the weekend which was cancelled so I'm assuming all online orders for them has also ceased now.
I had one from Coles due to be delivered on Friday but received an email about an hour ago saying it’s now been cancelled.

I had one from Coles due to be delivered on Friday but received an email about an hour ago saying it’s now been cancelled.

Yeah, in store only now it seems. Issue is it's such a crapshoot getting thing at all. I'd be happy to place an order and wait three weeks under the proviso I was guaranteed I could eventually have it fulfilled. Would be nice to give that option so people without urgency can still have the knowledge they will get the things they need eventually whilst those in more direct need can attend in store without as much demand/craziness.

That's a medical perspective, and it's very valid. But the point remains that - and it is shocking to say this - but it would be undeniably better for the economy long term to see a scenario where the health system is completely overrun and the fatalities are rising to heartbreaking numbers while most of the rest of life isn't shut down then it would be to see long term containment and all that goes with that.

Our world and our economy is genuinely not set up for a 2 week shut down. We are starting to already see the closure of hospitality businesses, with indications today that David Jones and Myer might be gone within a couple of weeks. Keep in mind how disastrous the retail sector was already before this hit, with Jeans West, Harris Scarfe, Kikki K and EB Games all hitting bankruptcy ahead of the virus blowing up. A 2 week shut down in this climate as it is will be chaotic.

But if we are talking a 2 month shutdown, there is a significant chance there will be no airlines left in the country in business. Maybe QANTAS with heavy government subsidies, but that would be it. There will be no professional rugby league, soccer, or rugby union bodies left in the country. Half of the hotels in each city will be shutting down permanently, if not more. There will be no music, theatre, or arts venues still in business.

A 6 month shutdown and every Westfield and other shopping centre will have completely gone bust and shut their doors, alongside 90% of cafes, restaurants, and bars. There will be essentially no business infrastructure left for public life, with any surviving businesses all providing products and services for people living at home.

An 18 month shutdown and our society might be in genuine anarchy. It is actually not really possible to calculate how wide-reaching that impact would be, although it would be a fair estimate that the unemployment rate could well be over 50%.

The local cafe shutting down isn't just about me losing a place to go and eat. It's about the owners and all involved now being out of work and out of pocket. On a very wide scale when you add together tourism, hospitality, arts and entertainment, retail, real estate, transport, and all the other industries that require them to be healthy to run, that is quickly millions of people needing government support to survive. Support the government won't be able to afford to give. And with nobody leaving their homes, there will be no other industries for these people to turn to for new jobs.

Ultimately that is a fundamental breaking down of society. People won't have money to eat. There won't be food to buy even if they did. It's not just a few cinemas closing and less flight options for holidays - we would quite seriously be looking at a full scale disintegration of civilisation. That's why there is just no way that this shutdown lasts that long.

It is going to get to a point where having the health system completely overrun and sick people dying in the streets will be the preferable option. As completely inhumane and abhorrent as that sounds. This isn't about people's stocks taking a hit or not being able to have the convenience of good shopping options nearby, this is about an all-encompassing destruction of the entire way our culture works.

Excellent thoughts and observations.

If it gets as bad as some are forecasting, pragmatism will have to come into the equation or, as you say, there is likely to be a catastrophic societal and economic collapse. The bad behavior being exhibited with supermarket shelf stripping right now would only degenerate into a more feral dog eat dog scenario.

On a separate but related topic, those who think that "the Government" will just Wave a fiscal magic wand to save us all are living in a fantasy.

Monetary easing ("official" interest rates) are nearly at rock bottom,The Cash rate has just been dropped to 0.50% and they are talking about going to 0.25% shortly, which is bedrock.

The other lever (which has already been pulled) is "Stmulis" which is just another way of saying the Government is handing out "free" money.

The $17B already committed has pretty much blown any prospect of maintaining a Budget surplus entirely out of the water an that's unlikely to be anywhere near enough to even scratch the multiple surfaces that are going to need assistance just to survive.....airlines, small businesses, football codes and other sporting organisations, Tourism, .....etc....etc....

Anyone who has done Grade 10 Economics knows that the Government can't just keep on printing more money forever.

Then there is the anxiety and uncertainty caused by already real restrictions on our basic freedoms and human want to engage with others

"No gatherings of over 500:..... there go all out major spectator sports" .....our "tribalism"

"No shaking hands or other close contact"....there goes our basic need to engage others with civil gestures

Man/woman is a social beast.

Enforced "lockdowns" for any substantial period are likely to have more dire consequences (and even more deaths) than the stinking bloody virus

Junior football shut down until the 31st of May on the Gold Coast and Brisbane, unsure if it is all of Queensland club footy. No training or games.

Rumours of a nationwide lockdown starting tomorrow night

Some pretty hardcore lock downs getting rolled out in California. I wonder if this kind of thing were implemented across the US whether it might be enough to stop the spread of the virus, similar to the wuhan quarantine

I got back to Perth today after 9 days in Dallas and Florida and it would be fair to say the only way you’d have known there was an issue was watching tv. Nobody washing hands, avoiding close contact. Miami and LAX were quieter than usual but nothing really being done around the virus. Big difference to the Border Security I encountered in Brisbane today.

Now for 14 days isolation - I’m all in for the season starting this week.

The Economy.. I don't want to harp on it but my gosh I have real fears where this is heading at its present rate. The Government is going to need to freeze mortgage repayments if things continue at current rate. So many Industries/careers/jobs are going to be impacted and small business will be a write off in a couple months. Employees may keep their job but be forced to take decent pay cuts.

Stacking shelves for Woolies or Coles at night seems like an idea right now.

The Economy.. I don't want to harp on it but my gosh I have real fears where this is heading at its present rate. The Government is going to need to freeze mortgage repayments if things continue at current rate. So many Industries/careers/jobs are going to be impacted and small business will be a write off in a couple months. Employees may keep their job but be forced to take decent pay cuts.

Stacking shelves for Woolies or Coles at night seems like an idea right now.

Being a supermarket employee has it's risks

A crisis often brings out the best in human nature

It seems that this crisis isn't one of them.

There's a pretty good argument that the "social distancing " mantra may have unintended consequences

There has to be stuff we don’t know about cause even talk of a complete shut down is massive with major long term consequences.

What do the decision makers know that we don’t??? It driving me crazy

Last edited:
So this all happening because the Australian government wanted to save our international tourist industry and our commercial airline industry.

Well you managed to “save” them for 6 weeks. Now they’re shutting down anyway. And the whole of Australia and many other industries are going to suffer for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So this all happening because the Australian government wanted to save our international tourist industry and our commercial airline industry.

Well you managed to “save” them for 6 weeks. Now they’re shutting down anyway. And the whole of Australia and many other industries are going to suffer for it.

At what point did the Australian Government make decisions based on saving tourism and /or the airlines?

And why is this" all happening" because of that?

At what point did the Australian Government make decisions based on saving tourism and /or the airlines?

And why is this" all happening" because of that?
When they didn’t close the borders/flights to high risk countries earlier.

Other countries were forcibly quarantining travellers from other high risk countries.

We should have tried to safe guard our own 6 weeks ago.

This is doing the rounds:
Scomo to announce 14 day mandatory lockdown tomorrow afternoon.

Speech has already been written.

Australia wide lock down effective Wednesday 18th March to 31st March.

1. Ban on all religious, sporting, social and cultural gatherings. All business and religious premises to close. Exemption on groceries, public markets, provision stores. Restriction on mosques and Islamic events subject to Muzakarah meeting.

2. Nationwide travel restrictions on all citizens. Those who have just arrived from abroad must undergo self-quarantine.

3. All tourists and visitors barred from entry.

4. All public and private schools including kindergartens, nurseries, residential school and other educational institutions to close.

5. All private and public higher institutions of learning to close.

6. Closure of all government and private premises except essential services such as water and electricity, telecommunication, postal service, transport, fuel, gas, lubrication, broadcasting, banking, health, pharmacy, fire-fighting, ports, airports, prisons, security and defence, sanitary services, provision and food supply.

This is why we won't be Italy

Appears our ICU doctors disagree.

The world is such a small place now there was never a chance of stopping this. None. Zilch. People were infected before we knew what Covid 19 was. They were carrying the disesase, spreading it and people were dying before we named it. There won't be a populus untouched by this disease regardless of thier actions, the speed of them or those in authority.

And hand wringing and finger pointing does nothing except make those doing it feel better and everyone else either more despondent or angry. It's a useless and pointless exercise.

We enter a time where peace, tolerance and understanding will be more important than it's ever been. And I'm not some weed smoking hippie by any stretch. But what we've seen so far just scratches the surface of the worst of humanity.

There will be an ever increasing need for those with level heads and gentle natures to speak up. To remind others of what the best of humanity looks like. There will be a massive need to be charitable. There will be a need to be selfless and caring.

The blame game has no place here now. We are entering a period we haven't seen before. Mistakes will be made. It's inevitable. Decisions will be compromised and try as hard as we might some will miss out. It's up to each other to drag those people with us. To look out for each other.

Every day will bring a new circumstance that means someone else gets hurt or suffers. It won't be too long and everyone one of us will be directly impacted by this situation.

Please remember that. The person you blame, point at, talk about, shame or put down could well be you tomorrow. There is no 100% correct way forward. It's up to all of us to help each get through this as best we can.

1. Ban on all religious, sporting, social and cultural gatherings. All business and religious premises to close. Exemption on groceries, public markets, provision stores. Restriction on mosques and Islamic events subject to Muzakarah meeting.

2. Nationwide travel restrictions on all citizens. Those who have just arrived from abroad must undergo self-quarantine.

4. All public and private schools including kindergartens, nurseries, residential school and other educational institutions to close.

6. Closure of all government and private premises except essential services such as water and electricity, telecommunication, postal service, transport, fuel, gas, lubrication, broadcasting, banking, health, pharmacy, fire-fighting, ports, airports, prisons, security and defence, sanitary services, provision and food supply.
578CB674-989C-44B7-9EE6-07B2A5A69B52.png

It looks like that text came from this article about the Malaysian lockdown:

Can’t help but think that the a Government has done so much more damage by not shutting down weeks ago despite it inevitably happening and resulting in ten times the damage than what would’ve occurred.

True or not, reading that made me understand why all the idiots have been hoarding toilet paper cos it scared the s**t out of me.

I don't think our politicians have it in them to act decisively and lead events but on the off chance they do I'm very glad we bought 2 weeks worth of canned goods back when the wuhan quarantines were first introduced. A two week national lock down would be very confronting, both for myself individually and us as a country

Remove this Banner Ad

Back