Mega Thread Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't turncoat on the AFL when Carlton were caught cheating, so the COLA won't drive me away.

not really like for like circumstances there. one was a club cheating. the other are two clubs given special treatment because they are in the frontier clubs in the most important growth market in the country.

it's all about the binnis, not the competition.

Except in Carltons case, after robbing 60% once and getting caught. They did it again twice.
It has been accepted that there was looser controls on salary caps in the 90s, but NO other club comes close to the blatant and arrogant cheating Carlton did in the late 90s

You don't have a very good understanding of the salary cap "cheating" from the sound of it. It sounds like you have be swayed by the massive media attention Carlton's penalties got - overlooking all the other breaches- including Collingwood's. Eyes wide shut, eh..

You mention the 1990s ? - Perhaps Essendon and Melbourne are good points of reference for 1990s salary cap "cheating". Oh but I guess these breaches weren't "blatant" or "arrogant"..:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_salary_cap

"In 1996, Essendon were fined a record $638,250 ($250,000 in back tax and penalties, $112,000 for draft tampering and $276,250 for breaching the salary cap regulations), forfeited their first, second and third round picks in the National Draft and were excluded from the 1997 rookie and pre-season drafts after a joint Australian Tax Office and AFL investigation found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totalling $514,500 between 1991 and 1996, including $110,000 in 1993 when Essendon won the premiership."

I think Sydneys COLA money should be taken from them and given to GWS

With the SCG almost finished the Swans will be able to raise plenty of extra money but the AFL and the clubs cannot have GWS dragging their feet at the bottom of the ladder of a long period and need to get some decent players pretty quick smart to be more compeditive..

Yeah, but the Hawks were gifted Buddy Franklin under the pathetic priority pick rule, so if Sydney lose the allowance maybe they can lose Bud.

Nope, Franklin was a first round draft pick. I think the person you are looking for is Roughead.

Nope, Franklin was a first round draft pick. I think the person you are looking for is Roughead.

Don't be silly. Roughhead was picked at 2, Franklin at 5. If priority picks didn't exist would your recruiters have changed the order? If was clear the wanted Roughead more than Franklin. You only got Franklin because you had a priority pick to use on the player you wanted more.

Don't be silly. Roughhead was picked at 2, Franklin at 5. If priority picks didn't exist would your recruiters have changed the order? If was clear the wanted Roughead more than Franklin. You only got Franklin because you had a priority pick to use on the player you wanted more.

If Hawthorn wanted Roughead they had to take him with pick 2 as Richmond would have taken him with pick 4 otherwise. Tambling was very closely linked to Hawthorn's # 2 pick and it was from all accounts only a last minute change of heart that led them to go with Roughead instead. We do know Hawthorn always had plans for Franklin at 5 but only because it was expected he would slip through to 5. So to answer your question, no one knows exactly who Hawthorn would have taken if they had 1 pick only.

Summing this up. The COLA is a way of giving the expansion a leg up so that the can compete with the heartland clubs' Its a way for the expansion clubs to beat the salary cap other clubs have to deal with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Hawthorn wanted Roughead they had to take him with pick 2 as Richmond would have taken him with pick 4 otherwise. Tambling was very closely linked to Hawthorn's # 2 pick and it was from all accounts only a last minute change of heart that led them to go with Roughead instead. We do know Hawthorn always had plans for Franklin at 5 but only because it was expected he would slip through to 5. So to answer your question, no one knows exactly who Hawthorn would have taken if they had 1 pick only.

Hence its only reasonable to assume that the second player picked was the actuall priority pick. Theres no reason to assume the Hawks would have taken Franklin ahead of Roughead when they didnt do that on the day.

My 2 cents, Cost of Living is just a bs name. It is a retention allowance because they are interstate clubs in non-traditional AFL territory and it is therefore harder to retain players to clubs based in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne. Of course the Swans don't really have this problem anymore with the success they've had over the last decade, hence why they've been able to get Tippett and Franklin. What annoys me is that Gold Coast, Western Sydney and Sydney are all allowed concessions that are essentially for retention but Brisbane aren't...

My 2 cents, Cost of Living is just a bs name. It is a retention allowance because they are interstate clubs in non-traditional AFL territory and it is therefore harder to retain players to clubs based in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne. Of course the Swans don't really have this problem anymore with the success they've had over the last decade, hence why they've been able to get Tippett and Franklin. What annoys me is that Gold Coast, Western Sydney and Sydney are all allowed concessions that are essentially for retention but Brisbane aren't...
The Lions had the best success since Melbourne in the 1950's winning an unprecedented 3 premierships in a row!

How quickly do their supporters forget such facts…….:(

The Lions had the best success since Melbourne in the 1950's winning an unprecedented 3 premierships in a row!

How quickly do their supporters forget such facts…….:(
1 finals series in 10 years...

How quickly Richmond fans forget that they're not the only team that hasn't done anything for a decade :(

So you had a winning team but didn't build a winning culture.
We had a winning team with a whole bunch of back ended contracts, hence the pain from 2005-2008, I accept that. But then Voss came in, we looked great and then he set us back into another building phase. And then there was last year/Go Home 5 and here's hoping third time's the charm...

That's what happened, a failure to actually do anything and accepting mediocrity, but that's entirely off topic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back