Play Nice 2023 Non AFL (or lower league) Sports Industry Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

this spiv is obsessed with victoria for some reason .... every chance he was ignored for the entire duration of the dinner - and was sat right next to the dunny entrance :drunk:

[edit] the LU diehards are enjoying this news release :drunk:

I've gotta only laugh at that article. I honestly respect the balls to try something new and be ambitious, there's nothing to lose and I like that approach to things, the afl should do more of it, we need a chairman with some charisma.

However, having lived in the U.S and understanding the culture there once you get under the surface a little, there is zero chance Americans will give this a chance, let alone give a *. As soon as they hear rugby they'll run for the hills and there is a disdain for anything English there (similar to Sydney looking at things from Melbourne), it's why they created their own versions of similar sports which they consider were an upgrade on the English versions.

Plus 200 mill over 5 years? lol, it's about the equivalent of 100k per year here in promotion. I find it funny aussies think Americans care about Australia, I didn't hear Australia mentioned at all when I was living there or the 10x I went back and what the nrl is offering is a shitter version of their own American football, with inferior athletes that nobody knows or cares about.

It doesn't even have the intrigue of 'afl' as a completely different sport that nobody has even seen before and the afl would have no chance over there either, but 'rugby' league, even less so.

I do laugh at the leagiues getting all excited that they are going to take over America though, it's hilarious and a complete misunderstanding of American culture once you get under the surface of initial American fakeness. They simply don't care about Australia, let alone a C grade sport like rugby league. The few that do watch will probably be wondering why they throw the ball backwards to go forwards, it's one of the reasons American football was created, they thought rugby was stupid, just wait till they see 'rugby league' 🤣.

Last edited:
I've gotta only laugh at that article. I honestly respect the balls to try something new and be ambitious, there's nothing to lose and I like that approach to things, the afl should do more of it, we need a chairman with some charisma.

However, having lived in the U.S and understanding the culture there once you get under the surface a little, there is zero chance Americans will give this a chance, let alone give a *. As soon as they hear rugby they'll run for the hills and there is a disdain for anything English there (similar to Sydney looking at things from Melbourne), it's why they created their own versions of similar sports which they consider were an upgrade on the English versions.

Plus 200 mill over 5 years? lol, it's about the equivalent of 100k per year here in promotion. I find it funny aussies think Americans care about Australia, I didn't hear Australia mentioned at all when I was living there or the 10x I went back and what the nrl is offering is a shitter version of their own American football, with inferior athletes that nobody knows or cares about.

It doesn't even have the intrigue of 'afl' as a completely different sport that nobody has even seen before and the afl would have no chance over there either, but 'rugby' league, even less so.

I do laugh at the leagiues getting all excited that they are going to take over America though, it's hilarious and a complete misunderstanding of American culture once you get under the surface of initial American fakeness. They simply don't care about Australia, let alone a C grade sport like rugby league. The few that do watch will probably be wondering why they throw the ball backwards to go forwards, it's one of the reasons American football was created, they thought rugby was stupid, just wait till they see 'rugby league' 🤣.

The other thing is, the Las Vegas metro has about 2 million people and is (for US standards) pretty isolated from any other metro area. Imagine if some obscure sport came to Adelaide for a double header. How much notoriety would that gain elsewhere in the country?

The other thing is, the Las Vegas metro has about 2 million people and is (for US standards) pretty isolated from any other metro area. Imagine if some obscure sport came to Adelaide for a double header. How much notoriety would that gain elsewhere in the country?

it's pretty poor timing in the U.S.A. as there has been a growing concern about collision injuries.
One look at players continually charging into each other without helmets is going to scare away a lot of people.

Rugby league has similarities to American Football in having six tackles versus four downs but it lacks the spectacle and the specific penalties. Why is kicking the ball o.o.b still in this code and tapping the ball on the foot - it looks odd?

I didn't know it was a double-header. Yes you can hype up one game, but who's going to stay for two games ?

If the GAA the rocked up in Australia to play an elite game of Gaelic football people would attend in good numbers but not a second game and the GAA would have no hope of converting AFL fans to GAA as AFL has a lot more content.

If I were the AFL, I wouldn’t be drawn into responding to V’landy’s assertion, as wrong as it is.

Rather, I’d be putting the energy into making an outstanding success of the early Round 1 launch in NSW & QLD. I’d be planning week long live sites, daily press conferences and player / coach availability. I’d be trying to get crosses to a PR exercise on the morning Brekky shows on Sydney Harbour, I’d get radio stations along to training sessions etc. a mini Gather Round type AFL carnival almost. I’d be offering free tickets to ensure stadiums are full of necessary. I’d be putting big resources into making a real noise in these cities. That will not only be great for the AFL in getting a free leg up in these developing markets, it will concern the NRL who might be concerned with AFL getting a foothold in its own core market at the start of the season.

Don’t underestimate the power if the AFL to do big events and big activations well. They have big resources, endless money and if it’s competitor is arrogant enough to leave its core market at the start of the season, and send back handlers as well, I’d make them aware that their ambitions won’t be easily realised.

In this increasingly global world, that viewpoint seems wrong considering the growth of sports like F1 and the EPL in America.

Heck, Rugby union used to play matches in Chicago and get big crowds for those. So your premise that the Americans will just dismiss the sport out of hand for being "English" seems unfounded.

This smells like the China or even the MLB match in Sydney. regardless of what happens, you going to have a viewpoint by some people that it is a success. They will point to the crowd, or viewing figures or the vibe. regardless It won't make a ripple, as expanding any sport requires a lot more work than just playing a match over there.

Vegas does seem like an odd choice if you're trying to grow the game. Vegas residents aren't going to be interested in the event given the multitude of events going on pretty much every day there, and tourists are going to be limited to expat Aussies in other American cities and probably a few from here.

In this increasingly global world, that viewpoint seems wrong considering the growth of sports like F1 and the EPL in America.

If you are going to make relevant comparisons at least compare oranges with other fruit.

Heck, Rugby union used to play matches in Chicago and get big crowds for those.

Heck they got 10k at one game. The NFL must be nervous.

So your premise that the Americans will just dismiss the sport out of hand for being "English" seems unfounded.

Yes, it's more like that the Americans will just dismiss the sport out of hand for being boring.

This smells like the China

Huh ?

or even the MLB match in Sydney

or American Football match in Sydney.

regardless of what happens, you going to have a viewpoint by some people that it is a success.

Not the 1987 S.O.O Series in long Beach California where they crossed live to interview the crowd and a woman said she was looking forward to seeing the "Sydney Swans".

They will point to the crowd, or viewing figures or the vibe.

Not the 1987 S.O.O Series in long Beach California they didn't.

regardless It won't make a ripple, as expanding any sport requires a lot more work than just playing a match over there.

Exhibition matches are easily the least effective way of sports promotion.
There has to be long term promotion like the NFL or EPL on television or payTV.
There has to be long term promotion like a schools sports program.

In this example the NRL isn't hoping to conquer the U.S.A. but create a niche gambling model like frog or snail races.

What pisses me off is the bogan V'Landys lying about what is the biggest football code in Australia and it ain't RL a supposed "national" comp that does not even have teams in Perth or Adelaide and he always comes across to me as a sleazy greasy snake oil salesman always ready to have a go at Victoria and that is why the Sydney media lap him up!

It is also great to see how the VRC have fought back against his insults and the BS Everest that is still not a group one race and the VRC Melbourne Cup Carnival are also looking to have record crowds this year!

Heck, Rugby union used to play matches in Chicago and get big crowds for those. So your premise that the Americans will just dismiss the sport out of hand for being "English" seems unfounded.

This smells like the China or even the MLB match in Sydney. regardless of what happens, you going to have a viewpoint by some people that it is a success. They will point to the crowd, or viewing figures or the vibe. regardless It won't make a ripple, as expanding any sport requires a lot more work than just playing a match over there.
And very deep pockets!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I were the AFL, I wouldn’t be drawn into responding to V’landy’s assertion, as wrong as it is.

Rather, I’d be putting the energy into making an outstanding success of the early Round 1 launch in NSW & QLD. I’d be planning week long live sites, daily press conferences and player / coach availability. I’d be trying to get crosses to a PR exercise on the morning Brekky shows on Sydney Harbour, I’d get radio stations along to training sessions etc. a mini Gather Round type AFL carnival almost. I’d be offering free tickets to ensure stadiums are full of necessary. I’d be putting big resources into making a real noise in these cities. That will not only be great for the AFL in getting a free leg up in these developing markets, it will concern the NRL who might be concerned with AFL getting a foothold in its own core market at the start of the season.

Don’t underestimate the power if the AFL to do big events and big activations well. They have big resources, endless money and if it’s competitor is arrogant enough to leave its core market at the start of the season, and send back handlers as well, I’d make them aware that their ambitions won’t be easily realised.
All great ideas now lets see if the AFL under Dillon have the balls to do it!
The AFL need to do more PR in Brisbane and esp Sydney where the RL biased Media will do as little as possible to promote the AFL!

All great ideas now lets see if the AFL under Dillon have the balls to do it!

AFL was doing very nicely until Covid came along.
The AFL need to get the momentum moving again and you don't get things moving by doing nothing.

The AFL need to do more PR in Brisbane and esp Sydney where the RL biased Media will do as little as possible to promote the AFL!

Media are basically protecting their jobs.
Media bosses have to realise the potential of the AFL market.
The back sport pages are still newsprint biggest drawcard.
Media was quick to jump on the Matildas but is reluctant to pump up any other international or national sport
besides cricket.

FIFA has FIFA'd the 2034. Saudi Arabia will bid unopposed after we dropped out. Obvious for a while but basically confirmed in the last couple of days

We, most likely, been hinted that we shouldn't oppose FIFA or the AFC here and then given some likely treats to stay in line. The 2026 Womens Asian cup(99% sure) and then perhaps an expanded club world cup in 2029. We would have had a strong bid (ignoring the stadium issues, which is a can of worms I don't want to open), mainly from the fact we were not Saudi Arabia and our successful recent Womens World cup

The club world cup will take place during June/July.

Just a link for reference to the above about Australia not bidding for the 2034 FIFA World Cup

FIFA has FIFA'd the 2034. Saudi Arabia will bid unopposed after we dropped out. Obvious for a while but basically confirmed in the last couple of days

We, most likely, been hinted that we shouldn't oppose FIFA or the AFC here and then given some likely treats to stay in line. The 2026 Womens Asian cup(99% sure) and then perhaps an expanded club world cup in 2029. We would have had a strong bid (ignoring the stadium issues, which is a can of worms I don't want to open), mainly from the fact we were not Saudi Arabia and our successful recent Womens World cup

The club world cup will take place during June/July.
a june/july tournament will inevitably have to open up that can of worms you want to avoid ..... we can expect

• sokkah extremists complaining about using oval stadiums
  • sokkah extremists complaining about using rectangular stadiums where pitches have been ripped to shreads by the rugby codes

either way, sokkah extremists will be able to indulge in their favourite pass-time of victimhood

a june/july tournament will inevitably have to open up that can of worms you want to avoid ..... we can expect

• sokkah extremists complaining about using oval stadiums
  • sokkah extremists complaining about using rectangular stadiums where pitches have been ripped to shreads by the rugby codes

either way, sokkah extremists will be able to indulge in their favourite pass-time of victimhood

What about the "sokkah extremists complaining about the AFL not giving up stadiums"?

Comical that anyone would think the Asian women's cup is going to garner much interest

Seems Matildas maybe playing the Olympic playoff at MCG next February, and break the highest attendance for a women’s sport event in Australian history. Interesting ABC article on the impact of the Matildas

The Swiftification of the Matildas has already begun, with the team transcending sport in the same way Swift has transcended music.

From the waves of obsessed fans to the mainstream media coverage, to the viewership records, we are already starting to see the glittering effects of their superstardom.

Seems Matildas maybe playing the Olympic playoff at MCG next February, and break the highest attendance for a women’s sport event in Australian history. Interesting ABC article on the impact of the Matildas

The Swiftification of the Matildas has already begun, with the team transcending sport in the same way Swift has transcended music.

From the waves of obsessed fans to the mainstream media coverage, to the viewership records, we are already starting to see the glittering effects of their superstardom.

Whether or not they sell out the MCG, there is an enormous amount of hot air in some of the commentary around the Matildas.....but that article is potentially the most ungrounded I have read

Remove this Banner Ad

Back