Opinion Could Ainsworth play a subtly important role in finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

xInfected_Virus

Team Captain
Apr 23, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wisconsin Badgers Women's Volleyball
The grim reality is that our best two way runner Yeo may not recover from his OP injury by finals since he hasn't made a lot of progress during his recovery process, at the very best he'll maybe be back by grand final but that's looking less likely as much as all of us want him back ASAP. I know we obviously have Nic Nat and will be getting Shuey, Redden, JK and Gov back by finals (second finals in Gov's case provided we win our first final) and we have other players who are also very important like Kelly at his best, Sheed, Gaff, Darling, Cripps, Allen, Waterman, Ryan, Hurn, Nelson, Duggan, Rotham, Sheppard and Barrass but Ainsworth in the side tagging out their best player could be very crucial for us if we're going to win the flag (see Hutch tagging Sidebottom in 2018).

Now I know he's pretty limited like Hutch and he gets pushed around easily due to lack of core strength but he plays the defensive forward role very well like shutting down Caleb Daniels and he can tag in the midfield as well like he shut down Jones after quarter time (this is all while never tagging before). Not sure what his role was against Norf although it was his best game in his career so far but whoever we're versing next Ainsworth taking out an important player is very crucial if we're going to make it far. Not sure if he can tag bigger bodied bulls or athletic burst types but like Hutch; he's probably suited on rebounding type HBFs, outside running types or a elite ball user who doesn't possess fast leg speed.

He's ball use is improving and is starting to feel more composed at AFL level but would like to see him take the game on more rather than handball first.

I dont like what I saw especially on North Melbourne‘s second goal.
He was too easily bumped off a few metres by a NM‘ player with no intention to chase nor applying pressure to rectify the failed contest.
(What makes Richmond a better team in 2020 is their willingness to chase and apply pressure on opposition, they can close the defensive gaps at zero time. Their coaches seem to have a way to motivate the Richmond players)

He has one major flaw in his game and kicking isn't the worst of it, he gives up his effort real quick. He will stop running and stand on the spot even though he can make a contest, gives up way too easily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes.

With Yeo out, we need to go back to 2018 strategy of negating an oppo midfielder or half back. Ainsworth has done two very important jobs for us in round 16 & 17.

Elimination Final:
Bulldogs (tag Daniel)
Collingwood (tag Adams)
Melbourne (tag Langdon)

Semi Final:
Port (not sure who to tag here, maybe Butters?)
Geelong (tag Duncan)

Preliminary Final:
Richmond (tag Edwards)
Brisbane: (tag Neale)

Hopefully in 5 weeks time Ainsworth will be a premiership player. Melts will be delicious.

Last edited:
Ah now that the title has changed the pile on is not nearly as fun.

Yes, he could play an important role in finals if we go with a tagger because he has shown a surprising amount of quality in that role in very limited exposure.

I wouldn’t want to bank on it going in, but if you told me he tagged someone out of a finals game I would believe you.

Original title was funnier though.

Weirdly I feel more confident playing Ainsworth as a tagger this finals series then I do Hutchings. Hutch came off a long stint with a hammy and then pulled it again a couple weeks later. If we're in a tough EF/SF and Hutch gets injured again it would be a horrible result. Lets go with Ainsworth.

100% agree.

Hutch looked cooked without proper match conditioning. If we bring him in and does his hammy all of a sudden a player down and then it stuffs up the rotations big time.

Not an Ainsworth fan but he is at least fit and can play a role if needed.

I've already pencilled him in for the important role of Team Whipping-boy & Scapegoat for this finals series. He's got some big shoes to fill off other such West Coast luminaries as Masten, Swift and Hutchings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back