Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not one of the diseases you mentioned have the transmission rate of Coronavirus.
Bird flu was a slow mover that was easily contained when resources were thrown at it.
Mad Cow was isolated to a particular region/country.
Ebola was restricted to a few countries. Again, a disease that was a slow spreader which enabled the scientific community to respond.
You may take the Trump/preppers view that the Government(s) are simply trying to control the population by fear. But I can only ask, are you taking any extra precautions? Are you heeding the advise to limit contact? Are you washing hands more? Are you using Hand sanitizer? Are you stocking up on T.P?
Answer yes to any of those things then you are like the rest of us.
Scared.
Have not changed my routine one bit and am not worried one bit.
Some people will die and I may be one of them but the truth is I am far more likely to die in a car crash going to work than from CV.
By the way I am a bit out of the loop here, what's with the toilet paper?

Have not changed my routine one bit and am not worried one bit.
Some people will die and I may be one of them but the truth is I am far more likely to die in a car crash going to work than from CV.
By the way I am a bit out of the loop here, what's with the toilet paper?
How can you be out of the loop on T.P?
Reported across the globe.
Idiots don’t understand that if they are isolated the authorities will bring them necessities of life.
Is T.P. A necessity? I don’t know. I can tell you that in 2006 I had two broken wrists and to put it bluntly, could not wipe my own arse. But there are alternatives that don’t require T.P.
And no, I’m not giving you details!

The whole regular flu line is bullshit. If this infected as many or more people as the flu does - and yes it does have the potential to, the loss of life based on the current mortality rate would be catastrophic.

We have no vaccine and no antibodies to it. It's potential to kill millions is mind boggling. Thankfully if your not over 65 your in a much better seat for this ride but the economic impact it is already having looks like it will worsen significantly and even if you have 0 issues with the virus itself, that is going to bite you on the ass.

Seasonal flu varies between what 0.1-0.? Percent (help me out here medical boffins) covid is going at approx 3% do the numbers yourself, they aren't pretty.......

That being said I really want to go n watch the footy........
The fatality rate is very unreliable as it only shows the fatality rate of those who tested positive.

there could be 10s or hundreds of thousands of people who have been infected and don’t know it. For instance, children hardly have any symptoms and it’s likely that there are tons of kids in China that had/have it yet were never tested.

This has been coming for a little while. That's why I've almost emotionally checked out for this year and have not felt excited about the upcoming season.

These are tough times we're living in, but better times will be ahead of us once we get through this. Pandemics don't last forever.

Last edited:
Now I’ve also used the “more chance of dying driving to the airport” reasoning when 20 people died in France from terrorism and the Mrs questioned whether we should continue with our travel plans
But right now car deaths are about 5.5 people per 100,000.
Right now the WHO have Coronavirus as 3,400 deaths per 100,000.
I understand this isn’t reality in Australia today, but the WHO are averaging that figure from the high of 5,800 per 100,000 in China at the peak of the outbreak.
If you think driving is more of a risk than this virus, then you are truly drinking the koolaid.
And as a comparison, the seasonal flu kills lesS than 1,000 per 100,000.

How can you be out of the loop on T.P?
Reported across the globe.
Idiots don’t understand that if they are isolated the authorities will bring them necessities of life.
Is T.P. A necessity? I don’t know. I can tell you that in 2006 I had two broken wrists and to put it bluntly, could not wipe my own arse. But there are alternatives that don’t require T.P.
And no, I’m not giving you details!
Thats hilarious.

Oh and if you don't have toilet paper simly use your shower as a bidet.

Now I’ve also used the “more chance of dying driving to the airport” reasoning when 20 people died in France from terrorism and the Mrs questioned whether we should continue with our travel plans
But right now car deaths are about 5.5 people per 100,000.
Right now the WHO have Coronavirus as 3,400 deaths per 100,000.
I understand this isn’t reality in Australia today, but the WHO are averaging that figure from the high of 5,800 per 100,000 in China at the peak of the outbreak.
If you think driving is more of a risk than this virus, then you are truly drinking the koolaid.
And as a comparison, the seasonal flu kills lesS than 1,000 per 100,000.
You need to read the article again.
3400 out of every 100,000 peole aren't dying from the disease. 3400 out of every 100,000 that contract it are dying. They are very separate things.
Maybe understand what you are reading before making smarmy comments like "drinking the koolaid".

You need to read the article again.
3400 out of every 100,000 peole aren't dying from the disease. 3400 out of every 100,000 that contract it are dying. They are very separate things.
Maybe understand what you are reading before making smarmy comments like "drinking the koolaid".
And less than 1,000 out of every 100,000 who contract the flu die.
I actually thought you would understand that the WHO base their figures on contractions, not population.
And as pointed out in a previous post, not all contractions of the disease are reported. The actual figures of contraction are much, much higher.
And no matter those figures, car deaths are what, .0055%?
Laughable to compare. Koolaid stuff.

Trump used that figure to mitigate the Coronavirus figures.
And as pointed out in a previous post, not all contractions of the disease are reported. The actual figures of contraction are much, much higher.
I never argued that mortality rates for Coronavirus are less than the flu.
I just stated that you are more likely to die in a car accident, which is a fact.
At the moment death figures for Coronavirus is .00000095
Do the maths.
Much less likely tha .0055 for car deaths. Much much much less likely

I actually thought you would understand that the WHO base their figures on contractions, not population.
So are you saying the media aren't blowing this whole thing up worse than what it actually is? Yes it isnt good dont get me wrong but majority of the people that are dieing are the very elderly or people with compromised immune systems.

I seem to remember the swine flu being talked about in similar fashion that it was going to wipe us out etc etc

I'm genuinely curious. Do you have facts and the numbers on people who have had coronavirus and successfully recovered from it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does this give Gold Coast an advantage?

They’re used to playing in empty stadiums.
We can play with headphones, I think Cloke did it to simulate the crowd when practicing kicking goals. Maybe not.....didn’t really work obviously.

The fatality rate is very unreliable as it only shows the fatality rate of those who tested positive.

there could be 10s or hundreds of thousands of people who have been infected and don’t know it. For instance, children hardly have any symptoms and it’s likely that there are tons of kids in China that had/have it yet were never tested.
Even the Donald mentioned that,

So are you saying the media aren't blowing this whole thing up worse than what it actually is? Yes it isnt good dont get me wrong but majority of the people that are dieing are the very elderly or people with compromised immune systems.

I seem to remember the swine flu being talked about in similar fashion that it was going to wipe us out etc etc

I'm genuinely curious. Do you have facts and the numbers on people who have had coronavirus and successfully recovered from it?

There are a couple of open letters from doctors in Italy in the last couple of days. Inside the letter they describe a health care system overwhelmed, a surge its system cannot handle. They describe patients over 65 and with underlining conditions moved from ICU to rooms to die, concentrating only on people who have a chance of survival. Doctors, nurses collapsing from exhaustion.

It is the surge upon our health system that is of the greatest concern. There only so many beds. Our government needs to learn from these countries and i think they are doing so. If we have a ban, it will be in all our interests

Last edited:
Why do you think they want to scare people to the point it drives the world economy into the toilet?
Governments want to appear to be responding.
The media are trying to outdo each other for revenue.

There have been less than 800 reported cases of infection in a nation of 327 million people.

And the world economy has been in the toilet for the last decade.

Coronavirus is interesting because people seem to default to either panic mode or denial. It’s either, “The world is ending!” or “What’s the big deal?”

The truth is, as usual, somewhere in the middle. Individually, most of us are not at much risk as it would seem that the death rate is low and it is mostly the elderly or people with compromised immune systems that are affected. As a society we are at risk of overloading the health system (we only have so many hospital beds) and commerce grinding to a halt. We need to be altruistic and to make every effort not to spread it so quickly. That's all. No panic, just common sense.

Stay safe. Stay clean. If you don't feel 100% and if you're starting to experience cold/flu like symptoms, stay at home. We’ll make it through this, we always do.

I reckon it's just scare tactics.
Seen it too often.
Bird flu.
Mad cow
Ebola etc etc.
Keeping people in a state of fear is handy for politicians.

Enjoy the footy. You will be fine. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

+ Spanish Flu (~500 million infected, killed ~50 million)

The much publicized 3% mortality rate is a tad misleading.

If you’re under 10 then the mortality rate is practically 0

If you’re over 80 then the mortality rate is around 15%

+ Spanish Flu (~500 million infected, killed ~50 million)
I don’t know whether the media catastrophized Spanish Flu, it was around 1918 or similar, no?

I may be wrong, but in my view this panic stricken world is totally over reacting to the new virus. A real crisis in climate change can now be safely ignored because the media is totally focussed in the illness.

The main problem with this virus is that there is no immunity in the population. More lethal viruses like influenza are buffered by existing immunities. The new one is not exceptionally dangerous, with most sufferers recovering with mild symptoms. The elderly like me are more vulnerable, but we are vulnerable to most such things.

Over time, immunity will develop, but this entails people actually getting and surviving the virus. The choice facing the medical managers is to let it rip, take the casualties and chaos in their systems and cope, or react as they have, trying to manage the number of cases at any given time so that facilities are not overwhelmed until a vaccine is available in about a year. The casualties are not likely to be very different with either choice.

Locally, we have a government that sees this as an opportunity to see off the criticism of its conduct in other matters by action in this one. Don't expect anything from them but cynical PR.

As a nation of self centred and very selfish people, panic is the default option when something out of the ordinary comes up, and naked self interest the driver of our reactions. The toilet paper nonsense is a clear indicator to us all of how pathetic our responses to this kind of thing can be.

This rant tells you how unwise it is to bring meaningful discussions to football fora. It only unleashes the beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back