Coach Craig McRae

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like I may be one of the few who actually liked him saying "Wanna get as good as we can as quick as we can"

Most in that scenario would have talked about patience and such

But then I'm also way more bullish on the list than most I assume. Felt similarly in 2017 too. Lost a LOT of close games in 2017, 6 in fact. We won those 6 extra games in 2018 and it got us Top 4.

This year we lost a lot of close games too. Games we could or should have won. Which would have had us around the 8. A hopefully competent coach, an injection of talent and some luck with injuries and who knows. I'd prefer not to completely write next year off before it's started.
I also think it was very smart. None of this Carlton crap about expecting to make the 8 next year. No gotcha statement that people will laud over him.

Got a sneaking suspicion the way Collingwood is treated in the media both on Match day and outside match day will improve immeasurably with Craig at the helm.

That number 16 just keeps popping up.....

I thought I’d check out if ‘16’ has any significance. Numerology - which I’m sure is scientifically based - is very informative.😝

Wasn't it refreshing to see two incredibly smart football people in Wright and McRae be given some air time. It's very clear that they are both immensely knowledgable about the game and their philosphies. I also think they'll related very well to the playing group. Finally the Pies have gone down the path of the incredibly well credentialled 'no name' coach. I can't wait to look back in 10 years from now and have 3 or 4 flags a la Richmond and Hawthorn. (But no pressure....)

Knowing your strengths is one thing, tooting your own horn is another. We will just have to wait and see.
You must have been watching a different press conference to me. I thoguht McRae came across as the right amount of humble and grateful, but with a clear vision for how he wants to run his footy department.

Wasn't it refreshing to see two incredibly smart football people in Wright and McRae be given some air time. It's very clear that they are both immensely knowledgable about the game and their philosphies. I also think they'll related very well to the playing group. Finally the Pies have gone down the path of the incredibly well credentialled 'no name' coach. I can't wait to look back in 10 years from now and have 3 or 4 flags a la Richmond and Hawthorn. (But no pressure....)
I'll settle for building credibility with the playing list and the larger football community at first - otherwise we will struggle big time to get prime players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same boat. Even if Craig turns out to be a garbage coach, at least the Club can say they actually did their due diligence and appointed the best option available based on said due diligence. I'm ok with that.

“I spoke to the playing group before about certain things we want to see in place straight away when we get back.

“And some of them put their hand up and said there’s things they want to make sure they want to do when they get back and we will hold them to account to that. We will get them to honour their word.”

Gonna set some standards indeed.

“I spoke to the playing group before about certain things we want to see in place straight away when we get back.

“And some of them put their hand up and said there’s things they want to make sure they want to do when they get back and we will hold them to account to that. We will get them to honour their word.”

Gonna set some standards indeed.

I think that is Brilliant thing to say to the Playing Group

This is a bloody good appointment. Has a LOT of work to do, but given his resume and skillset he is the perfect man for the job. Thank you Pies for actually running, what would appear like a decent process on this one and best of luck Fly. Go Pies!!!
Bad luck you missed out Laurie. Must have been right up there turning that team around, plus Hayward, to win the flag :)

No, but the best way to get the same point across was to let Wrigtht sing his praises and say exactly the same things and then he could have said I will let my actions speak. Same point would have gotten across.

It was not a big deal but made me a little uncomfortable. I am old school in that regard.
I do not think he said anything in a boastful or unduly over the top manner, he just looked straight at the camera and answered as truthfully as he could, it could go to hell in the future but that was not a bad start.