Ill Chicken

Premiership Player
Feb 6, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Browns, Redlegs, Eagles, Strike
Is it just me or has Cricinfo gone off the rails in the last couple of years. I used to think they offered quite valuable and reasonably unbiased perceptions of the game, but these days it is all going down hill.

I can only question why Allen Stafford would be picture in handcuffs on the front page of Cricinfo? What has he done to cricket if but anything improve it?

Yet Cricinfo stands in mostly silence while some of the best domestic cricketers in the game go to an early grave? On what level does hypocrisy not work for these guys? Yes they report on it, but no, they don't offer opinions on it, nor do they subject it to the same scrutiny that would be of player getting drunk while an entire board could be considered corrupt.

Respected Journo

Team Captain
Suspended
Jun 18, 2009
Alternate from Aus 2 SA
I guess part of the attraction of cricinfo has always been the live scorecards, without that I for one would hardly visit the site. Another disappointing thing is the lack of updated info in the player pages. A few state players from the Queensland side in the 1950's and 1960's that i know have passed on and yet still in the cricinfo player profile database there is no updated information relating to this?

It's only minor but to me it's something that should be updated fairly regularly.

Furthermore, another issue that has irriated me has been the bias, especially with the live scorecards. Yes it's minor, but I remember during the 06/07 Ashes that various commentators on scorecard duty were always having cheap shots which intensified in conjunction with the battering the England side took.

Having to trawl through gibes about Justin Langer being a brownnose gnome and how if he was a Glenn McGrath type bowler he'd be a "metronome" isn't something you expect to have to do when following a game on the live scorecard - which is the prime reason why many people visit cricinfo to begin with.

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Is it just me or has Cricinfo gone off the rails in the last couple of years. I used to think they offered quite valuable and reasonably unbiased perceptions of the game, but these days it is all going down hill.

I can only question why Allen Stafford would be picture in handcuffs on the front page of Cricinfo? What has he done to cricket if but anything improve it?

Yet Cricinfo stands in mostly silence while some of the best domestic cricketers in the game go to an early grave? On what level does hypocrisy not work for these guys? Yes they report on it, but no, they don't offer opinions on it, nor do they subject it to the same scrutiny that would be of player getting drunk while an entire board could be considered corrupt.

Are you nuts?

He held a Micky Mouse competition and then was arrested for massive investment fraud. How is that good for the game? Offering prize money you've stolen from other people?

Ill Chicken

Premiership Player
Feb 6, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Browns, Redlegs, Eagles, Strike
Are you nuts?

He held a Micky Mouse competition and then was arrested for massive investment fraud. How is that good for the game? Offering prize money you've stolen from other people?

No, how does it relate to the game? The picture and article holds no relevance to cricket in that form.

What he offered the West Indies regardless of where the money came from, improved their standard of cricket and offered new opportunities to players, while his banks in the West Indies also employed a massive amount of people and was financially viable. It would be naive to say to even think that the money put towards cricket by Stanford were the only illegitimate gained funds floating around the game today while billions are floated around the sub-continent.

I'm sure no one will be questioning whether their books are cooked.

What a piece of rubbish their new layout is.
Yep, it is awful. You know how you often come across websites that are clearly ill-suited to being viewed on a mobile?

This looks like a website that is built for a phone/iPad and is ill-suited for being viewed on an ordinary computer.

Terrible change.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I dunno, I don't particularly like the ESPN style but think this works ok for me.

People will whinge at every change that gets made and become accustomed to it. So long as their articles remain without peer and scoreboards update then I'm happy.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
I dunno, I don't particularly like the ESPN style but think this works ok for me.

People will whinge at every change that gets made and become accustomed to it. So long as their articles remain without peer and scoreboards update then I'm happy.
Usually I'd agree with this for most websites but definitely not in this instance. It used to be good until a few years back when they made a major change and it's been shite to use on a regular computer ever since.

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
needs blacker text.
one of the more annoying changes (which happened before this monstrosity) is the hoops i now have to jump through just to view other test matches from the same series. it's even worse when you're looking into older matches. they used to be right at the side there... now nowhere to be found.

I liked the old format, but this is shocking, I don't know if its just me but I actually cannot use it on my computer at all. It simply keeps jumping back to the top of the page and refreshing every 2 seconds.
Not just you. It's rubbish.

Mar 2, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bushrangers
upload_2017-8-27_13-18-49.png

Bring this back please.

augiewaz

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
This is what I see on my screen.

The red areas have been manually added to show how much empty space they are not using. Such a waste. A lot more can be done with that space to make the whole experience better.

They had (seriously, they had) a great site that was properly structured both in layout and content. Now its tripe

upload_2017-8-27_9-25-34.png

Back