Cricket Australia & AFL Clash 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL fixturing seems like it is done by some back in the day guy, since Hawks and Geelong have had some good games in the past - they will now decide this is a mandatory blockbuster and flog it twice a year on FTA until all semblance of life has gone. Even though most football fans could tell you that Hawks-Geelong games are not going to be good games for quite some time as we have dropped and the Hawks soon will.

Actually in this case the AFL can **** off.

It is only by the good graces of cricket that football is entitled to use the MCG (and other grounds) prior to April 1.

The bigger wank is the AFL refusing to use Etihad stadium for the launch of the AFL season. The whole "mcg vibe" is a load of wank.

If the AFL want to start a season the week before - utilise Etihad, KP, Metricon, Canberra, Subi and Launceston

Thursday Night - ES
Sat - Canberra, ES, Launceston, KP
Sun - ES, Metricon, Subi
Mon - ES
Season opener with Etihad having 50k? No thanks

I feel like cricket is moving the goalposts as far as they can every year.

I'm no AFL elitist, quite the opposite, but it might be time for the league to put its foot down and say - "those are your dates, here are ours", make it work with what you have.

I'm no AFL elitist, quite the opposite, but it might be time for the league to put its foot down and say - "those are your dates, here are ours", make it work with what you have.
It's the other way around, the AFL are encroaching in the period where CA is contracted to control the ground

This wouldn't be an issue if it was the Big Bash final or an international match. But the Sheild should be played and either start the season a week later or play somewhere else. You have started the season outside of the (now awful) Tigers vs Carlton match ups before. Do it again.

the last weekend in march is a little earlier next year? poor journalism.

Those comparing it to the Aleague situation should be reminded of the following - the AFL provides between 2.5-3 million of the MCG's attendees a year. Cricket supplies about a half million - and much of that during 5 days in late december. The AFL furthermore contributes $7 million a year (ncreasing with CPI) to help pay off first the Southern Stand, and now the Northern Stand - and thats before Ground rental charges.

Regarding Richmond v Carlton and Geelong v hawthorn, these are two of the top 12 drawing games of the year that must be held at the MCG under its AFL contract (that provides for 10 of the top 12 matches to be played there), you cant just move them to Etihad.

Further, whatever the contract says, Cricket have traditionally ceded the last weeked of march. Why the change? The Shield isnt exactly a top Cricket priority either.

The AFL has continued to extend and extend its season, continuing to insert split rounds to appease the AFLPA, with out reducing the number of games so the rights holders are kept happy. Cricket has the ground from October until March, Football from April to September. The cricket schedule is quite full now with Big Bash, ODIs, Domestic One Day, First Class cricket and Test Cricket. Just because we have an early Easter this year doesn't mean they should give up the ground earlier. Even with the World Cup cricket managed to finish before the end of March, and have been kind enough to give up October to the AFL, as they have done a few times. Cricket Australia and Cricket Victoria have been extremely accommodating to the AFL.

Cricket has the contractual right, and if they want to exercise it, that's their prerogative.

I wouldn't be surprised if an agreement is made however.

Most likely this is really more a push for more AFL support for the redevelopment of Junction oval as a new cricket base.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if this issue is important enough to CA that they'd want to get in a fight with the AFL, which could have unknown ramifications in the future. Contracts be damned, they must realise that the majority of sports fans in Melbourne would be more interested in Easter footy rather than the Shield final.

This is a joke. Even if VIC reached the final of the Sheffield Shield Cup the maximum crowd would be, what, 2,500? It simply is not deserving and the AFL needs to pull rank.....NOW!

It's not a question of capacity. It's the same old issue - aside from the G there isn't a single other first class cricket venue in the state, in terms of facilities and wicket preparation.

The AFL has continued to extend and extend its season, continuing to insert split rounds to appease the AFLPA, with out reducing the number of games so the rights holders are kept happy. Cricket has the ground from October until March, Football from April to September. The cricket schedule is quite full now with Big Bash, ODIs, Domestic One Day, First Class cricket and Test Cricket. Just because we have an early Easter this year doesn't mean they should give up the ground earlier. Even with the World Cup cricket managed to finish before the end of March, and have been kind enough to give up October to the AFL, as they have done a few times. Cricket Australia and Cricket Victoria have been extremely accommodating to the AFL.

Have they really continued to extend and extend the season though? They still have 22 rounds. They still have the same number of finals. They've had thethe week after the Grand Final reserved since the 70s. They've added a week for a bye - and thats the only extension i can think of that wasnt forced on them by the Olympics, Commonwealth Games or various World Cups.

Play those games round 2 it ain't that hard

Last time they did that, the crowd dropped nearly 18,000 for the Carlton-Richmond game.

2008 - Round 1 - 72,552
2009 - Round 1 - 87,043
2010 - Round 1 - 72,010
2011 - Round 1 - 60,654
2012 - Round 1 - 78,285
2013 - Round 1 - 80,971
2014 - Round 2 - 62,037
2015 - Round 1 - 83,493

Hawthorn v Geelong is played on the Easter Monday. No matter what round that falls in.

Last time they did that, the crowd dropped nearly 18,000 for the Carlton-Richmond game.

2008 - Round 1 - 72,552
2009 - Round 1 - 87,043
2010 - Round 1 - 72,010
2011 - Round 1 - 60,654
2012 - Round 1 - 78,285
2013 - Round 1 - 80,971
2014 - Round 2 - 62,037
2015 - Round 1 - 83,493

Hawthorn v Geelong is played on the Easter Monday. No matter what round that falls in.

The play it at Etihad....

Cricket have had rights to the ground until end of March for far longer than the manufactured Rich/Car MCG match and Hawks/Cats Easter Monday match

Yep - so cricket's dates are 1 October to March 31st every year - they are the goalposts and have been for many years

What happens when cricket puts it's foot down and the grand final is a draw.. play the rematch in Sydney?

Cricket has been overly generous to the AFL, that is their only fault.

I understand the AFLs position in relation to Etihad use for the soccer - the AFL has precedence. IN this case cricket has precedence over football.

The whole antagonistic "put the foot down" is a load of tripe

But the main reason those games get big crowds is because it is Easter.

Poor didums. Cricket have the ground until March. Get rid of the silly bye and it is fine.

Cricket has the contractual right, and if they want to exercise it, that's their prerogative.
I wouldn't be surprised if an agreement is made however.
Most likely this is really more a push for more AFL support for the redevelopment of Junction oval as a new cricket base.

I don't know if this issue is important enough to CA that they'd want to get in a fight with the AFL, which could have unknown ramifications in the future. Contracts be damned, they must realise that the majority of sports fans in Melbourne would be more interested in Easter footy rather than the Shield final.

These 2 posts sum the whole situation up nicely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back