Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

anyone else happy watson wasnt given this soft match to get a few cheap runs and retain his spot for the next 12 seasons.
Yes....he is gone forever

You had better tell that to Rod Marsh. According to Marsh it was a 'big' decision to drop Watson and Bacchus also said that we should not read too much into the decision as far as the future is concerned.

In every sport there are blue eyed boys with gold passes.

Well - that's the fun out of the way: now it's down to the serious business of knocking off Sri Lanka on Sunday. We should be too good, but their top order has been in ominous form of late. Early wickets will be paramount.

Mind you, their bowlers leaked 309 runs against England - surely that suggests we should be good for 350+.

For those who used to get frustrated with some of Shane Watson's requests for reviews of LBWs that were blatantly out, have a look at this one. The only difference being that the review was requested by the bowler.

http://www.theroar.com.au/tv/worst-drs-review-of-all-time/

Yes, I didn't watch the game but I saw it on the replay and thought, what are they doing? FOXTEL didn't even bother to show the review result that is how stupid it was. Let's see, the ball was edged onto the pads, batsman was struck outside of the line, ball was pitched outside of leg, it gets my vote as worst DRS and you have to wonder if the Sri Lankans know the rules.

Yes, I didn't watch the game but I saw it on the replay and thought, what are they doing? FOXTEL didn't even bother to show the review result that is how stupid it was. Let's see, the ball was edged onto the pads, batsman was struck outside of the line, ball was pitched outside of leg, it gets my vote as worst DRS and you have to wonder if the Sri Lankans know the rules.
That would have been given out in Pakistan in the days before neutral umpires. Greg Chappell got to 235 one day, before being struck on the pad about two feet outside leg stump. To his astonishment, the Pakistani umpire raised his finger!!! When the umpire quizzed by the media at the close of play, as to how he came to the decision, he simply replied, "I was sick of the sight of him."

Both Australia and SL play Scotland to finish off the group games, so we must beat SL to ensure we finish second and thus avoid having to face NZ in NZ in the semi final. As for who we would face in the quarter final...if we lose to SL and finish 3rd in group A it would likely be South Africa who will probably finish 2nd in group B. If we win and finish 2nd, it will be against either WI or Pakistan who should both finish off 1-1 from their last two games. However Ireland still have a game in hand and could pull off wins over Zimbabwe and flaky Pakistan to rocket up to 3rd. Clear as mud?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both Australia and SL play Scotland to finish off the group games, so we must beat SL to ensure we finish second and thus avoid having to face NZ in NZ in the semi final. As for who we would face in the quarter final...if we lose to SL and finish 3rd in group A it would likely be South Africa who will probably finish 2nd in group B. If we win and finish 2nd, it will be against either WI or Pakistan who should both finish off 1-1 from their last two games. However Ireland still have a game in hand and could pull off wins over Zimbabwe and flaky Pakistan to rocket up to 3rd. Clear as mud?
Please allow me to put a fly in the ointment - here's Sydney's forecast on Sunday:

Sydney area
Partly cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of showers, most likely in the afternoon and evening. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening. Light winds becoming southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h during the morning.

Knowing our luck, it'll be another washout!!!!!!!

Please allow me to put a fly in the ointment - here's Sydney's forecast on Sunday:

Sydney area
Partly cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of showers, most likely in the afternoon and evening. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and evening. Light winds becoming southeasterly 15 to 20 km/h during the morning.

Knowing our luck, it'll be another washout!!!!!!!
Great...

We're due for a bit of rain soon too, but at least there are reserve days for the finals.

That would have been given out in Pakistan in the days before neutral umpires. Greg Chappell got to 235 one day, before being struck on the pad about two feet outside leg stump. To his astonishment, the Pakistani umpire raised his finger!!! When the umpire quizzed by the media at the close of play, as to how he came to the decision, he simply replied, "I was sick of the sight of him."
Sounds like what was rumoured to happen in school games. Often there were no umpires so the lower order batsmen would officiate till it was their turn to bat. There was a rumour, and it was probably true, that these stand-in umpires would sometimes give their own teams batsmen out so that they could have a bat.

SA back to normal in a big way - after teasing their fans with a win over Tassie, the Vics are now 1 for 208: with 40 overs left on day 1. Four runs per over would leave them around 370 by stumps tonight, and SA would already be battling to avoid defeat.

SA back to normal in a big way - after teasing their fans with a win over Tassie, the Vics are now 1 for 208: with 40 overs left on day 1. Four runs per over would leave them around 370 by stumps tonight, and SA would already be battling to avoid defeat.

Yeah well, Maxie Klinger - gone, Nathan Lyon - gone, Dan Christian- gone, Jamie Cox - gone, Johann Botha - going, Berry probably going. A 21 year old Captain, Cosgrove not sure if he is a Pom or an Aussie. Utter chaos so we cannot expect much more.

Bradshaw and Neilson , who are apparently running the show, should go.

Yeah well, Maxie Klinger - gone, Nathan Lyon - gone, Dan Christian- gone, Jamie Cox - gone, Johann Botha - going, Berry probably going. A 21 year old Captain, Cosgrove not sure if he is a Pom or an Aussie. Utter chaos so we cannot expect much more.

Bradshaw and Neilson , who are apparently running the show, should go.
I reckon only the SANFL can rival the SACA for incompetence. The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure they THINK they're heading in the right direction: the phrase "we the blind, led by the unseen" comes readily to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back