Crowds a concern

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that only having the Camfield is not good. I thought in the planning, there were going to be a number of food / drink venues set up around the stadium precinct.

I think the Perth Stadium is a massive upgrade on Subiaco. Everything is not perfect, but definitely an upgrade.

Why aren’t you happy with the transport arrangements ?. Buses are 200% better than Subi, trains are on a par. Reduced private vehicle near the stadium.

I enjoy it as depending on the weather / game time, I can walk over from Mt Lawley or Maylands, bus from my local hub, or ride my bike ( ringing my bell regularly, ...... if we win ).
I guess I just am annoyed there’s not much parking around if I don’t want to drink and get out of there fast

Optus is a pain in the neck to get to, it puts me off being crammed in the train
Also needs more things other than the camfield around it

Totally agree! It’s kind of marooned on a peninsula, surrounded by the river, freeway and crown. It’s not built around anything overly accessible other than the station; it’s not on the way to anywhere like subi was or even the waca

They built it on the wrong side of the river. Should have been where the old power station is

Marvel has a quota of games. Hawks have to play some because the traditional tenants like the hawks sell home games. North to tassie, dogs to ballarat

Docklands doesn't have a quota of games, AFL has with the MCC. Both game quota and crowd quota.

AFL owns Docklands, doesn't own MCG, so they will only schedule games at MCG to meet the quota, they make more money that way.

AFL should probably let clubs play home games wherever they want.

Essendon went by choice. So did Carlton.
There is always going to be some non-forced incentive for some teams to play there some of the time. Hence my estimation of "about 10 games" and not "about 0 games".

Yes Essendon and Carlton signed contracts with the stadium. But regardless of contracts, they will never be able to leave unless the AFL lets them. Doesn't sound like choice to me.

Docklands doesn't have a quota of games, AFL has with the MCC. Both game quota and crowd quota.

AFL owns Docklands, doesn't own MCG, so they will only schedule games at MCG to meet the quota, they make more money that way.

AFL should probably let clubs play home games wherever they want.
That's not entirely true. You have caterers who pay a fee and expect a certain return of investment. You can't just play 10 games with s**t crowd numbers and expect them to be happy about it.

There is no such thing as Marvel "tenants". More like prisoners. If every Victorian team actually had a choice in the matter, we'd end up with about 10 games at Marvel per season and 90 at the MCG. Quite a bit more unreasonable than the current solution.

Yesterday's game would've barely got more than 20k if it was at the MCG, and instead the deflection would be directed at the timeslot etc. But really, no deflection is required. Sensible people understand it's still too soon to be judging crowds on a pre-2020 scale.
nice deflection for why your club cant make money or attract fans.

as has been pointed out, 2 of the biggest clubs in the comp chose for docklands to be their home ground.

nice deflection for why your club cant make money or attract fans.

as has been pointed out, 2 of the biggest clubs in the comp chose for docklands to be their home ground.
Your club can't make money or attract fans at Marvel either. Too bad. Somebody has to be forced to play home games there, because just relying on the 13 games that Essendon & Carlton have signed on for isn't going to cut it.

So I can't see how I'm deflecting. Mine was a "get over it" post.

But if we want to dig through the who-chose-what fact sheet: Every Victorian club in the past 22 years, at some point, has willingly split home games across numerous venues. How convenient for you to say "yeah let's stop allowing that" now that Richmond is no longer crawling to Cairns for a few bucks.

Always laugh at “supporters” who use the “we hate marvel, never go there” . This excuse is usually rolled out when their team is going s**t. Not sure how these “supporters” would’ve coped in the suburban ground days.
******* hopeless some of you.

Tigers are coming off a loss, so I expect about 5 of them to make the trip to Marvel this weekend

Always laugh at “supporters” who use the “we hate marvel, never go there” . This excuse is usually rolled out when their team is going s**t. Not sure how these “supporters” would’ve coped in the suburban ground days.

Hawthorn supporters have never taken to the ground. Rather go to Windy Hill.

To be fair a lot of supporters didn't attend away games as much back then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Supporters didn’t relish attending yet another smashing of carlton during the up years either

Remove this Banner Ad

Back