Cryptocurrency mega-thread

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you find quality NFT's?
Twitter is the home of NFT content. I follow some of the accounts with lots of followers, but some of the best people are the founders of major projects or people that own expensive NFTs like BAYC or crypto punks. 99% of NFTs trend to zero, but you can clearly see some NFTs are trending up against the market. Look at the charts on OpenSea for art projects like Checks VV, Chromie Squiggle, Wonky Stonks and PFP projects like Pudgy Penguins, Sappy Seals, Azuki. They look strong. Find things that appeal to you, have an active community and some kind of hype "it" factor.

Also, lots of people have been phished on twitter by clicking promoted or fake profile links to free mints. Never, never do this. Do not sign a message with the wallet that contains your NFTs, that message is enough to hand over the access of NFTs that you might currently have for sale. If you have a hardware wallet and always remain suspicious you'll be ok.

Twitter is the home of NFT content. I follow some of the accounts with lots of followers, but some of the best people are the founders of major projects or people that own expensive NFTs like BAYC or crypto punks. 99% of NFTs trend to zero, but you can clearly see some NFTs are trending up against the market. Look at the charts on OpenSea for art projects like Checks VV, Chromie Squiggle, Wonky Stonks and PFP projects like Pudgy Penguins, Sappy Seals, Azuki. They look strong. Find things that appeal to you, have an active community and some kind of hype "it" factor.

Also, lots of people have been phished on twitter by clicking promoted or fake profile links to free mints. Never, never do this. Do not sign a message with the wallet that contains your NFTs, that message is enough to hand over the access of NFTs that you might currently have for sale. If you have a hardware wallet and always remain suspicious you'll be ok.
Thanks for the info. I'm interested to read more if you'd like to share as you find/buy NFT's.

How do you differentiate between gambling and investing?
whether the thing you are buying and selling has any substantial fundamental value

an investment justifies its price based on its ability to generate future cashflows for its owner outside the merry-go-round of speculation in capital markets

crypto does not, you are just betting on whether the tech turns into something useful one day (or failing that whether you can find a greater fool)

whether the thing you are buying and selling has any substantial fundamental value

an investment justifies its price based on its ability to generate future cashflows for its owner outside the merry-go-round of speculation in capital markets

crypto does not, you are just betting on whether the tech turns into something useful one day (or failing that whether you can find a greater fool)
It's only gambling when the odds aren't in your favor and you don't know what you're doing. Plenty of people play the game well using an edge.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on whether crypto has fundamental value. At the very least, Id say that bitcoin, ethereum, litecoin and monero have some fundamental value. Much of the space rides on speculation, but who cares if you can get in and out and make money from it.

For those who accept bitcoin (for example) as an asset with real value above zero, the argument that speculation drives the entire market only holds limited worth. It matters not that you don't accept that premise if the market does and has done so for for well over a decade. For those like me who accept the premise, buying and selling can be performed using the same criteria we use for any other asset class. When the asset is undervalued, you buy and hold. When things get a little bit silly as they're prone to in crypto, you sell.

It's only gambling when the odds aren't in your favor and you don't know what you're doing. Plenty of people play the game well using an edge.

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree on whether crypto has fundamental value. At the very least, Id say that bitcoin, ethereum, litecoin and monero have some fundamental value. Much of the space rides on speculation, but who cares if you can get in and out and make money from it.

For those who accept bitcoin (for example) as an asset with real value above zero, the argument that speculation drives the entire market only holds limited worth. It matters not that you don't accept that premise if the market does and has done so for for well over a decade. For those like me who accept the premise, buying and selling can be performed using the same criteria we use for any other asset class. When the asset is undervalued, you buy and hold. When things get a little bit silly as they're prone to in crypto, you sell.
as expected you miss the point

as expected you miss the point
It's interesting, isn't it. You think I don't know what I'm talking about and I think the same of you. It's probably a good time to stop discussing crypto or any other aspect of finance and investing with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting, isn't it. You think I don't know what I'm talking about and I think the same of you. It's probably a good time to stop discussing crypto or any other aspect of finance and investing with you.
I just think it’s worth flagging your lack of understanding of basic financial principles for the benefit of any laypeople who stumble on your half baked opinions

Peace

I just think it’s worth flagging your lack of understanding of basic financial principles for the benefit of any laypeople who stumble on your half baked opinions

Peace
Interesting parting shot.

All that counts in this game is how much money you make, and several posters here have made a lot more than you. I'd be very surprised to see testimony of you saving a single person from one of my "half baked opinions" on the basis what you've posted here. If you truly care, find someone better to do the job, because I'm not convinced you know even 10% of what you're claiming.

You haven't even told us what your academic credentials are despite masquerading as an expert. Why not enlighten us with where your money is invested and why you've parked funds there?

Peace.

You only think it's luck because you're ignorant. Goodbye and good luck.
I have no issue with people trying to make a buck buying and selling crypto if that’s what they’re into and they accept the risk involved. If fools want to roll the dice on fleecing greater fools for the chance at a big stack of money, more power to them. Lots of people have nothing and hitting the crypto jackpot is a tempting shot at a decent life.

on the other hand if you don’t recognise the huge gamble involved in making money buying and selling something that is fundamentally worthless, then you‘re financially illiterate enough that probably you shouldn’t have control of your own finances

I have no issue with people trying to make a buck buying and selling crypto if that’s what they’re into and they accept the risk involved. If fools want to roll the dice on fleecing greater fools for the chance at a big stack of money, more power to them. Lots of people have nothing and hitting the crypto jackpot is a tempting shot at a decent life.

on the other hand if you don’t recognise the huge gamble involved in making money buying and selling something that is fundamentally worthless, then you‘re financially illiterate enough that probably you shouldn’t have control of your own finances
Nobody cares. HFSP.

~$300B in US Net Liquidity pulled from the market since Jan 24, with largely sideways action in BTC and ETH since. Stocks also holding up somewhat well. A pullback to ~$20k BTC and $1500 ETH over the coming week or two wouldn't surprise me.
Well, ETH already got the pullback to low 1500s, BTC to ~21k. Can't see any major movement either direction until CPI data comes out in the US next Tuesday. If core CPI is trending down MoM still, then should be good for crypto and could stimulate the next rally; if it has ticked up slightly again, sub 1500 ETH and 20k BTC probably comes fast.

Conic Finance (CNC) looks good at $16m cap.

Under the radar third spoke in the Curve/Convex flywheel.

Solving the problem of single-sided liquidity provision. Omnipools launch soon, as does crvUSD...

Curve devs on the multi-sig, many synchronicities between the two projects.

Check out their discord it's an alpha-fest. DYOR NFA etc.

CNC went from $4 at time of posting to $11+, currently sitting at $9.

Next to go is ZKP, Panther Protocol.

Super big-brained ZK / privacy play, current price is basically pre-seed.

Interesting parting shot.

All that counts in this game is how much money you make, and several posters here have made a lot more than you.

Surely if you're just in it for the potential financial upside you'd be better off gambling on sports as it's tax free?

I say that as someone who was in it for the tech/implicit financial upside and then eventually exited crypto in 2021 once I realised the tech wasn't taking hold as I expected so it was therefore just a gamble. Crypto is essentially a lottery these days with people of the opinion that wide scale adoption is coming soon™, yet here we are 14 years later and crypto is still used for sweet FA.

Surely if you're just in it for the potential financial upside you'd be better off gambling on sports as it's tax free?

I say that as someone who was in it for the tech/implicit financial upside and then eventually exited crypto in 2021 once I realised the tech wasn't taking hold as I expected so it was therefore just a gamble. Crypto is essentially a lottery these days with people of the opinion that wide scale adoption is coming soon™, yet here we are 14 years later and crypto is still used for sweet FA.
Agreed.

I would state that this should be the era that Crypto should have a massive uptake. It is the highest inflationary period since the 1980's and the biggest test for monetary and fiscal policy in a generation.

If a new currency ever takes hold in the world, it should be in this period of uncertainty and upheaval. and yet Crypto daily usage has done nothing for the last 5 years.

Agreed.

I would state that this should be the era that Crypto should have a massive uptake. It is the highest inflationary period since the 1980's and the biggest test for monetary and fiscal policy in a generation.

If a new currency ever takes hold in the world, it should be in this period of uncertainty and upheaval. and yet Crypto daily usage has done nothing for the last 5 years.

If Facebook, AliExpress, or any other online company wasn't generating any market penetration after 14 years you'd close it down and move on. That people aren't seeing that with crypto is a bit baffling. No, BTC isn't about to take over the world and become the currency of choice. YoY growth is critical, and BTC had that for price, uptick in interest, and people getting involved in BTC projects. Now every man and their dog knows about crypto, yet 9/10 people still have no interest in it, despite it being easier than ever to purchase and store.

Will there be another bull run? Probably, I can see BTC clearing US$50k again at some point in the future, but that's going to be due to speculation rather than actual utility and function. There's no question the smart contracts aspect of crypto will succeed and thrive, however people still fail to realise the way it will do so is via a fixed price token that's pegged to a currency like USD, not via a wildly fluctuating speculative asset that you're keen to offload as soon as it arrives in your account and is susceptible to being wiped out via heist.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back