Opinion Culture Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
having said that didn't the magoos win on the weekend? i went and watched them just about every week last year, provided it was within an hour or so of the goldy. and that was tough to watch, was that their first win for the year?

on gws, i wouldn't worry, they aren't making it, i picked them to at the start of the year, but the injury toll has killed them, thinking a solid 10-12 season is probably the end result.
They're doing better than last year. I think they have three wins so far this year.

As for how the Suns should manage this illicit drugs scandle, the club should refer their players to the AFL Medical Officer - that's if we're going to be pedantic about procedure.

It's more complicated than one would think, because the Suns don't have any official authority in regard to asking for their players to dob themselves in or testing anybody for drug use.

I agree with Iva that this whole thing will stick to us for a while sadly, despite the fact that undoubtedly it goes on at every Club, the truth is we were dudded by a dud who then threw the Club and his former team mates under a bus driven by the QCCC
We have been in existence 5 years
The cool experienced head we needed as senior coach then is now at the helm
I guess we just start again
We have a Club, a stadium and , at least for me, a sense that we are finally heading in trhe right direction
You have to address your problems before you can deal with them and this year seems to be the first time weve actually done that

Can't let this comment slide. This massive drug issue on the Gold Coast is no worse than any other Australian city. How do I know this - A close old friend of mine worked plain clothes for the Broadbeach CIB through the clubs in Surfers (used to be great for getting free entry and drinks), and I used to know quite a few of his mates who worked undercover. Other cops from interstate used to come up here for conferences etc. and naturally would compare notes.

It really begs the question about why cops would have conferences on the GC, the renowned party and drug capital of OZ ;)

I agree with Iva that this whole thing will stick to us for a while sadly, despite the fact that undoubtedly it goes on at every Club, the truth is we were dudded by a dud who then threw the Club and his former team mates under a bus driven by the QCCC
We have been in existence 5 years
The cool experienced head we needed as senior coach then is now at the helm
I guess we just start again
We have a Club, a stadium and , at least for me, a sense that we are finally heading in trhe right direction
You have to address your problems before you can deal with them and this year seems to be the first time weve actually done that
The difference now is that we have a list that actually could make finals as opposed to consigned to the bottom two

It really begs the question about why cops would have conferences on the GC, the renowned party and drug capital of OZ ;)
LOL. Exactly right ;)
They were a great bunch to have a drink with back in those days. They knew all the best strippers for bucks nights, and no need to worry about driving home if you were too drunk, just call a blue light taxi :D Always found it strange why members of the drug squad would need to call up some surfer mates looking for some wacky tobaccy before a party though.:confused:

Harley Bennell to be on front page of many newspapers tomorrow. Caught in pic with lines on speed

Harley Bennell to be on front page of many newspapers tomorrow. Caught in pic with lines on speed
Yeah they were talking about it on 360 tonight that tomorrow front pages will rock the Suns to its core and afl big wigs will be on a plane to the Gold Coast right away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WOAH - it was one thing when it is all innuendo and hearsay and names were going to be protected under the AFL drug policy, it another to see the hard proof and a face on the front of every paper.

I feel for Harley and his family and I'm guttered that the club allowed a predator like Karmichael Campaigner to 'take him under his wing' as a vulnerable 18/19 y/o and lead him towards this (allegedly) and I hope he gets his Rugby contract torn up.

My head is spinning as I have no idea of what is going to happen tomorrow - possible scenarios:

- Gil and Mark Evans clearing their calendar and getting up to the GC tomorrow
- What is going to happen to the administration and what responsibility will they wear for this happening on their watch
- What do we do with the players - do we look to clean the decks and move them on? do we move everyone on or do we assess on a case-by-case basis? How does each individual players contract situation affect how we treat each of them
- Players who have a real habitual issue being stood down for the year and sent off to rehab (ala Ben Cousins)

I heard what Cam Mooney said on AFL Teams and totally agree - get the players in a room, no coaches, no admin and sort out amongst themselves wtf is going on, who is doing what and what there plan is to fix this - total honesty and no one looking to cover their ass behind the AFL's piss weak drug policy.

slimdusty4 Your post on the main board about this was depressing, just illustrates how some of the players really just don't care. Disgusting that a culture like this was allowed to fester. However, making Harley the face of a problem which is clearly quite larger is completely irresponsible by the media and the person who sold the photo is a complete moron.

slimdusty4 Your post on the main board about this was depressing, just illustrates how some of the players really just don't care. Disgusting that a culture like this was allowed to fester. However, making Harley the face of a problem which is clearly quite larger is completely irresponsible by the media and the person who sold the photo is a complete moron.
yeah spot on, shock journalism, and it could kill a blokes career.
i really hope someone can make them wake upto themselves, because there are too many young lives up there, that are going to be moulded, and at this stage, it seems it could go either way.

Wouldn't this photo have taken place during the same period as Harley skipping training, etc, which almost led him to leave the club? Or did this photo take place after that?

Either way, I feel sorry for Harley because this incident is completely unrelated to the current drug/Hunt saga.

s**t is going to go down, and it's not looking good for the club at all.

Surely he'd be getting the sack this week? Poor bloke, such an immense talent wasted. It shows if you don't have the right people around you, the wrong things happen.

Surely he'd be getting the sack this week? Poor bloke, such an immense talent wasted. It shows if you don't have the right people around you, the wrong things happen.
sack? that is the worst thing they could do... poor for him, the club, the league, the image of the game.

sack? that is the worst thing they could do... poor for him, the club, the league, the image of the game.
Fev got sacked for giving people pressure points at the Brownlow. I don't like the idea of sacking young blokes either, but players in footy have been sacked for less damning headlines. These are old photographs, though; a possible defence is that he'd already alerted the AFL Medical Officer, and that being an internal / private matter at the time, had already submitted to undergo treatment and isn't doing drugs now. Basically, try to spin it into a success story, which is a bit of a wank, but that's the only way I can see this not ending with Harley being moved on. That, or notifying the newspapers that the AFL / Suns is doing all they can to help Harley, entering him into a rehab program to appease the media / 'angry and opinionated' public, nothing being sacred or private now.

It gets a bit messy considering there's allegedly more than one person being implicated.

In any case, most of my thoughts can be described in smiley face form:

:eek::cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back