Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be asked why he went as low as he did for someone with his skill set. He ticks pretty much every single box for a footballer except being from another state. Did we take a huge punt on something when others were more risk averse?

I like that we have taken a risk if so, but I hope we've done our diligence given our recent history.

I think it's possible clubs like North and Hawthorn rated their picks higher

Made no sense for the Dogs to take another tall given they are stacked with them and just got a F/S pick

Melbourne and GWS didn't need taller players either given who they've drafted the last few years

Always good to have trading strategy with other clubs, GWS don't need another big body midfielder so traded with us which we've done previously in the past to benefit each other until Hately but I guess they already knew he was shit and would get nothing for him.

Last edited:
I get the worry about the go-home stuff, but we need more elite talent in if we're to win another Premiership, so at the end of the day we gotta take a risk like this every now and then and work our butts off to get it to work because we're not in Victoria and can't rely solely on picking from SA.

For what it cost to move up to take that risk I think it was well worth it.

I think it's possible clubs like North and Hawthorn rated their picks higher

Made no sense for the Dogs to take another tall given they are stacked with them and just got a F/S pick

Melbourne and GWS didn't need taller players either given who they've drafted the last few years
I'm not sure he's the type of player you can pigeon hole and say 'yep we've got plenty of those'.

That's not even considering that clubs admit they draft on talent early on (not needs).

I remember a few weeks ago on 5aa campo was asked who we should target with our first pick and he said Curtin. He said we need another big bodied midfielder and Curtin would be perfect. At the time I thought there's no way we will get near Curtin and campo is dreaming. He must've had some Intel regarding this.
I heard the same thing and thought the same !

Absolutely stoked that the planets aligned to enable us to trade up to take Curtin. I bet we couldn’t believe GWS were willing to accept such a deal, and I’m equally as confident that we wanted Charlie Edwards with our second pick all along (although Wilson vs Edwards would’ve been close, I am sure both would’ve been ahead of Goad for us).

The key will be what role the coaching staff see Curtin playing for us long-term. Obviously versatility is one of his strengths, but if we’re viewing him as a long-term key defender it’s a huge error in my opinion.

This dude absolutely screams “huge midfielder”, and can you just imagine how good a fit he could be alongside Dawson, Pedlar, Soligo and Charlie Edwards in the guts from 2026 onwards. A real point of difference that we desperately needed.

These first two selections will both prove to be inspired choices IMO, as long as we don’t shoehorn them into long-term roles they aren’t suited to.

I'm not sure he's the type of player you can pigeon hole and say 'yep we've got plenty of those'.

That's not even considering that clubs admit they draft on talent early on (not needs).

I think clubs bend the truth when they say they draft on talent early

What they mean is they draft based on their talent order and position of their pick. That talent order will be influenced by the needs of the club (rating players in more necessary positions higher) and clubs will position their picks (via trades) to grab the talents that fill the needs they have

It's no coincidence that teams like Geelong took a KPD, Sydney took a ruck, Melbourne took goal kicking half forwards.

Curtin's step in traffic already looks elite, those highlights legit look like Jordan Dawson

How bloody exciting!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the very definition of starting the *ing car. Early debut on the cards at his size and with his skillset. Debuted at WAFL seniors and had 20+ possessions, bloke is born ready.
What position would he likely play if he debuted early in 2024?

Kids plays like Jordan Dawson. Really nice skills and decision making.

I dont see missing goad and getting edwards as a downside tbh.. we needed a pure mid like edwards over a ruck prospect..

and goad is a crows supporter.. we can hopefully convince him to come home in a few years..
He’s also only 18 and MILES off being ready for a senior spot. Let him develop elsewhere and then swoop on him in a few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back