Player Watch Darcy Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s due to poor strategic decisions

What I think the majority of clubs and certainly supporters have forgotten is that the relief ruck is generally rucking against another relief ruck. On average they might cop 5-10 ruck contests against the number 1 ruck per week so as long as they can compete they’ll cope.

In the case of Cameron if he can develop his forward craft he’ll get a look in, but like Cox he’ll only ever be a mark and goal forward which seriously limits his impact given he doesn’t have the tricks other mark and goal forwards (Hawkins, Lynch and Brown) possess.

They're not too common and the abolition of the 3rd man up and more recent ruck changes make's their ruck work all that more critical.

Richmond - be hoping 1 of Chol, Balta, Coleman-Jones or Nyuon develop into the role.

Carlton - Casboult their best option but ruckwork is not overly flash. The remainder of their tall KP types seem more suited to defense than forward with the exception of McKay.

Doggies - Trengove or Bruce and neither inspire in the ruck.

Bombers - Daniher can play the role but who knows if he'll get back on the park. McKernan currently their best option but very hot & cold.

Freo - With Lobb and to a lesser extent Tabener they've got pretty coverage but with the loss of Hogan can they afford to lose Lobb from F50?

Crows - with Jenkins departing, they'll be hoping 1 of Frampton or Himmelberg can develop their ruck craft.

Swans - Reid their best exponent but like his brother struggles to get on the park. Aliir shows very good ruck potentail, just not sure they can afford to lose him from defense.

GCS - Wright and Day hardly inspire. I'd probably prefer day but he's another of the fragile types.

Port - Dixon very good but only used sparingly and another proving fragile over recent seasons. Ladhams may develop in both roles and they've added Buzza.

GWS - Keeffe is probably their best option.

Cats - have quite a few options and added Jenkins who'd obviously be the pick of them. Ratugolea shows real promise and could end up being the best in the league.

North - Brown their best option. Be sweating on a few of their developing KP types.

Saints - added Patty Ryder so they've got a good one, but not a lot of depth.

Weagles - Nic Nat and Vardy both very good in the role.

Dees - tried to develop Pruess in the role but he's pretty ordinary as a forward.

Hawks - Big Boy is probably their best but they seem determined to turn him into a defender and their next best option (Ceglar) into their No1 ruck. Will watch with interest how that works.

Bears - Big Oscar might well be vying with Ratugolea as the leagues best in a few years.
Yeah it is hard to find someone to play that role but hell Richmond won a flag with Grigg playing as a second ruck.

You never know, he might end up like a Jon Ceglar and take over the first ruck.... I'm only saying that on the slim hope that I can refer to this post in a couple of years...

Congrats to Darcy! A massive chance to impress the black and white army on the big stage!

Longer Kick the Cox is and No Midget at 205cm's.

Be intresting if he spends time in the Ruck and Grundy spend some time up Forward?

You never know, he might end up like a Jon Ceglar and take over the first ruck.... I'm only saying that on the slim hope that I can refer to this post in a couple of years...
Hopefully it won’t be at another club like Ceglar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck to the kid, may he have lots of premiership medals in his future.

Gets his chance early, good luck to him.

Bloody difficult time for the young/new blokes with no VFL to find and display a bit of form in

Good luck to the big man! Excited by what he may be able to bring to our side.

I think at worst, if he can put in a performance where Cox isn't necessarily an automatic inclusion next week then that's a big win for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back