Player Watch Darcy Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

With Richmond having just won a Premiership playing two genuine rucks alongside two key position players is the prospect of a ruck/forward in Cameron now playing alongside Cox, Mihocek and Grundy more likely?

Assuming Moore remains in defence as most expect then the possibility of the above 4 all lining up within our 22 (on the condition of good form) now seems a far more a realistic chance than I would of expected just 2 months back.

It shapes as one of the more intriguing selection decisions of 2020.
Its funny the way footy goes. We had two flags in a row won with 1 kpf and 1 ruck. And now two in a row won with 2 kpf and 2 rucks. Might be a totally different mould again for the next 2.

I reckon we stuffed up this year by trying to copy the previous premiers ball movement, which didn't suit our team. I'm even more confident that trying to add more height will be a stuff up, particularly when you factor in who that'll be.

Its funny the way footy goes. We had two flags in a row won with 1 kpf and 1 ruck. And now two in a row won with 2 kpf and 2 rucks. Might be a totally different mould again for the next 2.

I reckon we stuffed up this year by trying to copy the previous premiers ball movement, which didn't suit our team. I'm even more confident that trying to add more height will be a stuff up, particularly when you factor in who that'll be.
Yes, the next Premier will probably use a different or tweaked game plan.
Gotta be ahead of the pack, not following.

Yes, the next Premier will probably use a different or tweaked game plan.
Gotta be ahead of the pack, not following.
I don't really think it's to do with ahead or behind. I just think you've got to play the style and structure that best suits your list. And if your players are good enough, you're in with a shot. The issue with us adding a couple of talls to our structure is that they wont be very good footballers, unless we see some off the chartz development. Plus i think having two less runners would help to expose our lack of pace through the midfield.

Gone Early calling him a Spud
He is 24. Old enough for us to make a judgement. But I guess the word 'spud' is considered derisive. Nevertheless at this stage I don't understand why we were so keen to recruit him and like Dave I was a bit of a fan of Aish. Cameron's recruitment will only make (some) sense if we delist Lynch.

Last edited:
It's fence sitting behaviour and not the bigfooty way, but im going to wait until I've seen him play at least half a dozen games before making a call.
Surely you don't need to see him play to make a judgement? He is 24 playing at a club without a 2019 ruckman but only played NEAFL. That's all most of us armchair critics need to know.

Surely you don't need to see him play to make a judgement? He is 24 playing at a club without a 2019 ruckman but only played NEAFL. That's all most of us armchair critics need to know.
And you will be right most of the time, but just as you occasionally get a Dane Swan in the 50s of a draft, you also occasionally get success from picking a 27 year old WAAFL spud to debut in a granny.

And you will be right most of the time, but just as you occasionally get a Dane Swan in the 50s of a draft, you also occasionally get success from picking a 27 year old WAAFL spud to debut in a granny.
We can hate Richmond as much as we want but there’s no disputing Garlett had talent. Well done to them for taking the risk and coming off, but there’s a lot of right time and right place about him.

I see you live in Vietnam. Do you fly to Melbourne regularly to watch the boys play? Have you initiated a competition in your city or province to promote the sport to the locals? Have you sourced any potential category B rookies? Are Vietnamese people genuinely entertained watching our game or like the Thais do they think it's weird and rough?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can hate Richmond as much as we want but there’s no disputing Garlett had talent. Well done to them for taking the risk and coming off, but there’s a lot of right time and right place about him.
I don't wanna Pickett your post but you may have the wrong player.

I see you live in Vietnam. Do you fly to Melbourne regularly to watch the boys play? Have you initiated a competition in your city or province to promote the sport to the locals? Have you sourced any potential category B rookies? Are Vietnamese people genuinely entertained watching our game or like the Thais do they think it's weird and rough?
My location is close to a decade out of date. Soccer, basketball, volleyball, badminton, and that foot volleyball style game where you kick that rattan thing over a net - forgotten the name, were the sports of choice when i was there. I think they would have politely smiled and told me that it looked good, but would have thought we were complete idiots for playing footy.

On the basketball court there were some seriously sharp guards. You'd be looking at agile forward pockets if you were targeting Nam for Cat B, but height and weight would stop you from being willing to sign them.

My location is close to a decade out of date. Soccer, basketball, volleyball, badminton, and that foot volleyball style game where you kick that rattan thing over a net - forgotten the name, were the sports of choice when i was there. I think they would have politely smiled and told me that it looked good, but would have thought we were complete idiots for playing footy.

On the basketball court there were some seriously sharp guards. You'd be looking at agile forward pockets if you were targeting Nam for Cat B, but height and weight would stop you from being willing to sign them.
No likelihood of a Nguyen Cox coming our way then?

Should have been better. Straight after posting i remembered that Bich is also a Vietnamese name...

You just won bigfooty Fonzie don’t push your luck mate.

You just won bigfooty Fonzie don’t push your luck mate.

All I'm saying is:

In Vietnamese names the family name goes first and they use a comma to separate the family name from the given names. Now Bich is a girl's name, but it's not uncommon for the Vietnamese to use a girl's name as one of the middle names of a boy in order to honour a female relative. As we know Mason is a bit different to most AFL players, so he may decide to go to Vietnam one off-season rather than going to Bali.

Therefore in 20 or so years time, it's not impossible, some would say it's even quite likely, that we'll hear Dekka call out:

Pick 69: Cox, Phuc Dat Bich.

Am I jumping sharks again?

Last edited:

I think we certainly overdid it with the short kicking style of play. I took it as us trying to develop a plan B when plan A (last years quick movement to the advantage of our short forward line) doesn’t work.

Only thing is B became A for far too much of the season. Until 10mins to go against GWS and then we realised plan A is a pretty good one and we should use it.

Can't believe we got rid of Aish to bring in this spud!
Not sure we needed to get rid of Aish just to bring this guy in. He will be playing on a minimum contract you would think. Not so Aish.

Maybe next year it will be ‘Glad we got rid of Aish to keep DeGoey’!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back