Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do we need to play him out of position?

Given that the myth of our being serious contenders has already been exposed, can't we just do away with the myth that we can only play experience and get rid of, say, the world's tallest small forward?

Why do we need to play him out of position?

Given that the myth of our being serious contenders has already been exposed, can't we just do away with the myth that we can only play experience and get rid of, say, the world's tallest small forward?
Not sure it's been exposed just yet, funnily enough if we can't get it done this week is be more inclined to say it.

But yep, I'd pick him to play a drop a name player. The club won't, but I would.

It's not Jenkins that's in the firing line. It's the other bloke. You know the one.

The guy that's only kicked more than 2 goals in a game once since round 6, 2018
It's easier to pick Jenkins out rather than the skipper, because you know..... He's Tex.

It's not Jenkins that's in the firing line. It's the other bloke. You know the one.

Won't happen. No way will we drop him back to the SANFL. Just like Jacobs.

He's contracted for two more years after this one too. We're ****ed.

It's easier to pick Jenkins out rather than the skipper, because you know..... He's Tex.

I know. I love Tex and all he's done for the club. But I have grave fears for his future at AFL level

For Tex to survive he needs to start playing like Tom Hawkins, who is older, has had plenty of injuries himself and is a similar type of player

I know. I love Tex and all he's done for the club. But I have grave fears for his future at AFL level

For Tex to survive he needs to start playing like Tom Hawkins, who is older, has had plenty of injuries himself and is a similar type of player

Yes and no. For us to survive Tex will really have to have a Tom Hawkins styled revival.

Tex, well, I'd say he was done at the end of this contract regardless seeing if we're not restructuring by that point (and if this season isn't a finals year, it's time), we will be by the end of 2021. He's got that spot unless he becomes such a liability that sinking 600k+ in the reserves actually becomes appealing.

What about fog into a similar role that Doedee played?
Would love to see it but I don’t think we will.

Its a perfect opportunity to get some games into a very talented kids. Plenty of guns forwards started their AFL careers as defenders. Pavlich started forward, struggled a bit, moved to CHB before moving back to the forward line and becoming one of the best CHFs in the competition.

Would love to see it but I don’t think we will.

Its a perfect opportunity to get some games into a very talented kids. Plenty of guns forwards started their AFL careers as defenders. Pavlich started forward, struggled a bit, moved to CHB before moving back to the forward line and becoming one of the best CHFs in the competition.

Not only is it a perfect opportunity as an opportunity to get him some game time, but it is also a perfect opportunity to force Fogarty out of that horrible list situation that we've placed him in.

Not only is it a perfect opportunity as an opportunity to get him some game time, but it is also a perfect opportunity to force Fogarty out of that horrible list situation that we've placed him in.
Yep with our key forwards on long term deals when is he supposed to play?

Plus we need to try Himmelberg again.

Yep with our key forwards on long term deals when is he supposed to play?

Plus we need to try Himmelberg again.

I agree with Himmelberg, though he is probably more of a victim of that then Fogarty is, as he currently only has Jenkins position he can take... a Jenkins who is contracted the longest out of those three KPFs, though, we'd probably just sink the cost of his last year in the SANFL. He's in a very awkward scenario currently, though at least can cling to the long term project longer then most could.

But Fogarty playing as a defender would push Himmelberg to being the first to replace any injuries, which right now with where he is at, is probably a good thing as that'll get him a few games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm particularly aggrieved that he didnt kick goals in the masses of games that he didnt play.

As an external observer to this situation, keeping Fogarty in the SANFL is a terrible move.

Walker is contracted until 2021. If Fogarty rots in the SANFL that long, it will hinder his development.

Now that Doedee is injured, I'd bring him in as a 3rd tall defender. It's probably not ideal because he's more of a natural forward, but AFL experience trumps SANFL experience.

If he does play in defence, at least he'll be able to learn the types of leading patterns and body positioning that's most difficult to defend. This knowledge can always be applied when he returns to the forward line.

As an external observer to this situation, keeping Fogarty in the SANFL is a terrible move.

Walker is contracted until 2021. If Fogarty rots in the SANFL that long, it will hinder his development.

Now that Doedee is injured, I'd bring him in as a 3rd tall defender. It's probably not ideal because he's more of a natural forward, but AFL experience trumps SANFL experience.

If he does play in defence, at least he'll be able to learn the types of leading patterns and body positioning that's most difficult to defend. This knowledge can always be applied when he returns to the forward line.
Like playing KPD Jacob Weitering Forward? How did that experiment go?

Not sure how long I can stomach these types of performances. It’s not the first time this bunch of blokes have put up s**t like that.

I don’t think Fog has 21 games plus finals in him. He’s gonna hit the wall I feel. But sometime between now and the bye I wanna see this what this kid has got as a key forward.

If we go Harto for Doedee, Keath playing Toms role, I’d like to see Harto/Alex do some chop out ruck work. If they can do as well as JJ it takes that factor out of the decision.

I wanna see a plan in place to have Fog take over from whoever is performing the worst out of Tex and JJ around round 8-10. Let these two “leaders” actually earn their spot and if they can’t we’ve got a perfectly good next man up in Fog.

I did think as a jnr, Fog looked a lot better as a defender.
That’s interesting, coming from an opposition supporter from interstate. How did you notice Fog in his jnr years?

A lot of fans here seem to forget Fog actually has been trialled in defense for the Crows last year, and in practically every game! He has shown he is capable of doing intercept marking back in defense and didn’t look out of place down there.

Or because as bad as Tex might have been on the weekend, Jenkins was even worse?
He wasn't, not at all. Neither were good but we know Jenkins has it in him...... not sure whether Tex does anymore.

And it really hurts me to say that. Of course he gets more than a week to make amends but it's not looking good

I did think as a jnr, Fog looked a lot better as a defender.
I didn't.

Looked every bit a Forward in the Tony Lockett/Gary Ablett Sr/Jason Dunstal/Wayne Carey mould to me. Now I'm not suggesting he will be as good as those past luminaries of the game at this point but the similarities are certainly there physically and he appears to have the tools if developed well to be a pretty special forward prospect to my eye. We just need to be patient.

I didn't.

Looked every bit a Forward in the Tony Lockett/Gary Ablett Sr/Jason Dunstal/Wayne Carey mould to me. Now I'm not suggesting he will be as good as those past luminaries of the game at this point but the similarities are certainly there physically and he appears to have the tools if developed well to be a pretty special forward prospect to my eye. We just need to be patient.

I have to admit, I mainly watched his championship games. He struggled when moved into the midfield (people say he was injured and that knee was strapped). Then when he moved into the back half, he looked to control the back half and was always quick to read the ball.

Like all talls, you certainly cannot judge Fog this early in his career, give him another two or three years before starting to project his potential.

Not sure how long I can stomach these types of performances. It’s not the first time this bunch of blokes have put up s**t like that.

I don’t think Fog has 21 games plus finals in him. He’s gonna hit the wall I feel. But sometime between now and the bye I wanna see this what this kid has got as a key forward.

If we go Harto for Doedee, Keath playing Toms role, I’d like to see Harto/Alex do some chop out ruck work. If they can do as well as JJ it takes that factor out of the decision.

I wanna see a plan in place to have Fog take over from whoever is performing the worst out of Tex and JJ around round 8-10. Let these two “leaders” actually earn their spot and if they can’t we’ve got a perfectly good next man up in Fog.

First point - that is not smart. We won't opt to play our KPD as a part time ruck because our KPD stocks is in an much as, if not an even more dire of a position then our ruck stocks. We can at least cover a KPF.

That plan doesn't exist because we are paying all three of them rather hefty sums of money (you also need to include Lynch here, as he is the third tall). Hefty enough that we've committed to them as players and will carry them through their periods of poor form. The only way Fogarty gets through for a good period of time (without relying on injuries) as a forward is when one of them becomes a total liability for long enough where committing 525k+ in the reserves is actually preferable. The moment you've done that however, there is, and there can be no way back for that player, the card has been stamped, i.e. Matthew Lobbe.

You COULD do that with Jenkins given his contract is on its lower end of the scale now.... also makes him a more attractive trade option for other clubs.

But he isn't the biggest issue.

Back