Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree.

I am happy to give him plaudits when he performs well. Happy to acknowledge his poor form when he doesn't perform well.

This thread and your mates are gleefully saying "I am right" when he performs, but quick to blame Walker, better defenders, and inside 50 entries when he doesn't perform.

It's the same as your arguments against assistant coaches. You were quick to blame Clarke for multiple years, but disappeared when Jacobs become an AA. Its the low hanging fruit for you.
Forwards more than anybody, rely on everyone else, especially those that play deep which Fogarty does more than anyone else we have.
Not many get their own ball and deliver it too themselves.

What sports are you watching????

Superstars are superstars.

You have mentioned multiple times that Fog can't be expected to perform like Tex.

Fog is hot and cold. And its all to do with his performance.
All of them?

Superstars aren't the standard.

Teams need enough players who can score goals, or tries, or touchdowns, or baskets, or runs, or take wickets... so that the team can succeed.

Not every player will have an equal slice of success every week or make an equal contribution, especially when viewing small chunks of a season. Individual ups and downs are inevitable.

Forwards more than anybody, rely on everyone else, especially those that play deep which Fogarty does more than anyone else we have.
Not many get their own ball and deliver it too themselves.

So what's changed with FOG?

Against Gold Coast its widely acknowledge it was his best game... Our inside 50 entry was deplorable!
Against Port we focused on Tex and FOG had a great game.

The two biggest excuses for his form were present the last two weeks and he overcame them. Why couldn't he earlier in the year?

Once more - its FOG not the team that determines his form.

Goals per game as below.

There's probably only one '2nd key forward' ahead of him on the list isn't there?

1​
19​
3.53​
2​
19​
3.32​
3​
18​
2.89​
4​
Cats
18​
2.56​
5​
20​
2.55​
6​
14​
2.50​
7​
Cats
19​
2.47​
8​
18​
2.33​
9​
19​
2.26​
10​
20​
2.25​
10​
20​
2.25​
10​
4​
2.25​
13​
19​
2.21​
14​
8​
2.12​
15​
14​
2.07​
16​
Suns
20​
2.00​
16​
20​
2.00​
16​
17​
2.00​
16​
7​
2.00​
16​
2​
2.00​
21​
18​
1.94​
21​
16​
1.94​
23​
18​
1.89​
24​
18​
1.83​
24​
18​
1.83​

I was thinking about Fog and Tilly’s performance this year and wonder if Tex’s brilliant form is actually holding back their development. Due to Tex form, he has demanded the ball and be the main target every time we go forward. We love Tex so much but is it a hindrance on the other two.

I think Fog will absolutely enjoy and dominate once Tex is gone and he becomes the main man. Looking at Hagan for the bulldogs, he is playing as the man out of the square and looking good. I hope both will turn into stars once Tex retires

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Certainly not slowing their development but perhaps shielding them from having to be the “main man”

Thilthorpe contested marking and field play is developing beautiful. When he has been the man up forward - say first showdown - he kicked 5

Fog is likely to kick 38-40 goals this year as the second forward. Excluding Jeremy Cameron that will be about the best in the comp for a second tall

I think they are tracking nicely. Once Tex goes they have 8-10 years to carry our forward line

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Against Gold Coast its widely acknowledge it was his best game... Our inside 50 entry was deplorable!

The two biggest excuses for his form were present the last two weeks and he overcame them. Why couldn't he earlier in the year?

Performance is variable.

Why is a player being good enough to overcome impediments sometimes, but not always, not a valid answer?

Which i50 are you going to go through each one individually.
Just saying the i50 was good or bad means nothing.
In a game classified as “good i50” he may have got poor delivery and vice versa.

Which i50 are you going to go through each one individually.
Just saying the i50 was good or bad means nothing.
In a game classified as “good i50” he may have got poor delivery and vice versa.

I am saying there is a degree where a key forward makes their own luck.

In games FOG does well - many on here give him credit. Games he doest do well they blame everyone but FOG.

Performance is variable.

Why is a player being good enough to overcome impediments sometimes, but not always, not a valid answer?

There is always two sides to a coin, my old sparing partner.

Why isn't Fog be a player who only performs well when the service is perfect and struggle when the delivery isn't perfect?

I am saying there is a degree where a key forward makes their own luck.

In games FOG does well - many on here give him credit. Games he doest do well they blame everyone but FOG.
Because usually there’s a high percentage of factors he can’t control.
Much higher than for any other position on the field.

Because usually there’s a high percentage of factors he can’t control.
Much higher than for any other position on the field.
Agree. Sometimes he's good because of factors he can't control too, like matched up badly because the oppo made a bad match up or didn't have a good match up.

Scoring forwards can be feast or famine. Have a good game, next opponent locks you down. Someone else gets off the chain....

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a fun article if you've been following the thread over the last few days. Rahilly doesn't seem that far apart from most on here. It's almost like there are a combination of factors that impact form.

Speaking to the media on Monday, Rahilly said it was pleasing to see Fogarty get reward for his hard-work on the track.

“Fog is still working on being a consistent forward, and being a forward is the hardest area to be consistent, I will stick up for the forwards in the department,” Rahilly said.

“But his last two weeks have been really strong, he is probably going at the ball a bit better and doing his work before the ball comes in a lot better as well.

“He is a confidence player, so when he gets his hands on the ball early and the boys look for him he is hard to stop.”

I read that today and happy that the observations I have made are being noticed by those that matter.

“But his last two weeks have been really strong, he is probably going at the ball a bit better and doing his work before the ball comes in a lot better as well.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is a fun article if you've been following the thread over the last few days. Rahilly doesn't seem that far apart from most on here. It's almost like there are a combination of factors that impact form.

Speaking to the media on Monday, Rahilly said it was pleasing to see Fogarty get reward for his hard-work on the track.

“Fog is still working on being a consistent forward, and being a forward is the hardest area to be consistent, I will stick up for the forwards in the department,” Rahilly said.

“He is a confidence player, so when he gets his hands on the ball early and the boys look for him he is hard to stop.”

Thanks for posting and let’s agree its a combination of a few factors inc quality of delivery to him, his confidence levels, he is “going at the ball a bit better“ and we are looking for him more. Have noticed his strong leading patterns and grabbing marks along with a noticeably steely resolve the last few weeks.

Go Fog - we need the big fella big time and we all hope this recent form continues.

Go and look at all the young forwards that are talked about as great talents.
Marshall, King, King, McKay etc, and you will see every one of them has similar output to FOG.
The other thing that needs to be understood is that when you have a forward line with so many options, and then a bunch of mids that can also kick the goal rather than find a forward, he will never dominate every week.

Second half of the year was a disappointment for me outside of a couple of good games. Whether that was down to his knee being more of an issue than we thought ?

His conversion in front of goals was very disappointing for his skill level- missing several really gettable opportunities though the year.

He should have had 40+ goals if he’d kicked better which would have been a reasonable return.

He also need to improve his hands when he’s leading, he drops too many when he’s a little bit off his game.

So, what is our reflection of his season?

Didn't quite get the goals I had hoped, but understandable.

Thought it was a good consolidation season, hoping for more next year
I think that despite most people's love for tex, the (relatively) average/disappointing years for fog and thilth may just be a reflection of his utter dominance. Once tex retires I think we'll truly see the best of them, after all there's only so much ball to go around and with tex having 13 (o_O) scoring shots by himself it might be hard for the others to be consistently impactful on the scoreboard.

So, what is our reflection of his season?

Didn't quite get the goals I had hoped, but understandable.

Thought it was a good consolidation season, hoping for more next year
Kicked less goal but did miss a lot of gettable set shot you expected him to kick. However, contributed a lot more when the ball hit the ground.

In hindsight rushing him back from that knee looks like a real shortsighted decision, it had an effect on him certainly in the middle of the season, whether that was either mentally or physically who knows. He came out in the press multiple times this year saying when his mental side of the game is off he had previously struggled so maybe that knee dented some of that belief.

He still seems overly comfortable in where he’s at and he has yet another year of not having the pressure of stepping up with Tex going around again. You can look at it from multiple angles as he’s just a knock-about lad from the farm that is set in his ways & that will always hold him back in some ways but he has got to get better actual implementing fixes to some faults he’s actually coming out and starting to acknowledge he has in his game.

Back