Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

On a second look Fogarty is probably the fifth best second key forward in the league

Goals for the 2nd highest scoring key forward in each team
Hawkins - 49
Hipwood - 39
Lukosius - 39
Ugle-Hagan - 35
Fogarty - 34
Marshall - 32
Riccardi - 30
McKay - 27
Darling - 26
Owens - 25
Franklin - 19
Wright - 19 (if you count Langford as a KPF)
McStay - 16
F. Greene - 15
Treacy - 15
Brown - 11
Lynch - 9
Coleman-Jones - 4

And on averages

Hawkins - 2.5
Wright - 1.9
Lukosius - 1.8
Hipwood - 1.7
Marshall - 1.7
Riccardi - 1.7
Fogarty - 1.6
Van Rooyen - 1.5
Franklin - 1.5
Riewoldt - 1.5
Ugle-Hagan - 1.5
McKay - 1.4
Greene - 1.4
McStay - 1.3
Darling - 1.3
Owens - 1.1
Treacy - 0.9
Comben - 0.6
I guess the unanswered question remains if he is capable of being the 1st KPF.

Well Thilthorpe take that role and Fog remains the 2nd ?

We've probably got 1 more year to find out

Thilthorpe will move into Ruck, Gollant is a weapon next to FOG and we need another marking forward, maybe it will be Welsh but I would be targeting a forward in the draft along with midfielders

Honestly, we've already put massive investment in our forwardline. Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Rankine, Rachele, Pedlar have all cost us picks inside the top 12. We've prioritised building our forward line at the expense of focusing on our midfield.

Unless we're super confident that both Rachele and Pedlar are going to become midfielders soon, I would be putting all of our resources into getting 1-2 midfield guns.

We're just fortunate that we've been able to build a quality backline on the cheap (Murray, Hinge and Keane as free hits, Butts and Borlase as rookies, Michalanney with the steak knives from the Rankine trade, Worrell with a second round pick, Nankervis in the PSD) so we don't need to spend any of our draft capital there.

Last edited:
Honestly, we've already put massive investment in our forwardline. Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Rankine, Rachele, Pedlar have all cost us picks inside the top 12. We've prioritised building our forward line at the expense of focusing on our midfield.

Unless we're super confident that both Rachele and Pedlar are going to become midfielders soon, I would be putting all of our resources into getting 1-2 midfield guns.

We're just fortunate that we've been able to build a quality backline on the cheap (Murray and Keane as free hits, Borlase as a rookie, Michalanney with the steak knives from the Rankine trade, Worrell with a second round pick) so we don't need to spend any of our draft capital there.
Yep... I can't help doom and glooming about a super awkward scenario where we have an elite, salary hogging forward line that never see the footy because our midfield are geriatrics and plodders.

Yep... I can't help doom and glooming about a super awkward scenario where we have an elite, salary hogging forward line that never see the footy because our midfield are geriatrics and plodders.

Agreed. Watching Dawson deliver the ball inside 50 with precision this year has really highlighted for me how good our forwards can look when the ball is kicked to their advantage.

I too have no desire to watch a replay of the 2017 Grand Final

On a second look Fogarty is probably the fifth best second key forward in the league

And on averages

Hawkins - 2.5
Wright - 1.9
Lukosius - 1.8
Hipwood - 1.7
Marshall - 1.7
Riccardi - 1.7
Fogarty - 1.6
Van Rooyen - 1.5
Franklin - 1.5
Riewoldt - 1.5
Ugle-Hagan - 1.5
McKay - 1.4
Greene - 1.4
McStay - 1.3
Darling - 1.3
Owens - 1.1
Treacy - 0.9
Comben - 0.6
Goal averages is the most relevant to evaluate performance IMO.

I think we are being soft on Fog here but he had a materially underwhelming year IMO. Play to his potential in our various close losses and we snag a couple of extra wins. What Senior player disappointed as much as Fog this year? Anyone else? Especially after an outstanding end to 2022 and with the natural projection forecast I think finishing a middling mid ranked average goals kicked for a second forward isn’t good enough. ESPECIALLY when we are the highest scoring team and our elite ranking for forward line efficiency / delivering the ball inside forward 50. I don’t believe there are any real excuses besides he is ranked behind a 33 year old player in his 16th season. Go back and look at Tex in his 5th season dominating big finals home and away.

Love Fog and when he is “on“ his leading, marking and certainly attack on the ball and man and sublime finishing skills are almost leagues best. But overall he is 6 years in now. He isn’t a youngster. He leveraged a strong contract extension at the end of 2022 (I imagine top 5 ish type salary at the club at 650-700k per year IMO) but overall has not delivered consistently on his abundant potential which is shown more in glimpses than regularly

Need the big fella stepping ho next year to show he can be the heir apparent to Tex - as early as next year ideally.

ps just over 12% or so voted he would finish with less than 39 goals this year. Clearly he disappointed most on here with output relative to expectations

Goal averages is the most relevant to evaluate performance IMO.

I think we are being soft on Fog here but he had a materially underwhelming year IMO. Play to his potential in our various close losses and we snag a couple of extra wins. What Senior player disappointed as much as Fog this year? Anyone else? Especially after an outstanding end to 2022 and with the natural projection forecast I think finishing a middling mid ranked average goals kicked for a second forward isn’t good enough. ESPECIALLY when we are the highest scoring team and our elite ranking for forward line efficiency / delivering the ball inside forward 50. I don’t believe there are any real excuses besides he is ranked behind a 33 year old player in his 16th season. Go back and look at Tex in his 5th season dominating big finals home and away.

Love Fog and when he is “on“ his leading, marking and certainly attack on the ball and man and sublime finishing skills are almost leagues best. But overall he is 6 years in now. He isn’t a youngster. He leveraged a strong contract extension at the end of 2022 (I imagine top 5 ish type salary at the club at 650-700k per year IMO) but overall has not delivered consistently on his abundant potential which is shown more in glimpses than regularly

Need the big fella stepping ho next year to show he can be the heir apparent to Tex - as early as next year ideally.

ps just over 12% or so voted he would finish with less than 39 goals this year. Clearly he disappointed most on here with output relative to expectations
In reality though he’s only in his 3rd year as being settled up forward.
All the years prior when he’s been shunted around and trialed in all sorts of positions was not helpful to anyone.

In reality though he’s only in his 3rd year as being settled up forward.
All the years prior when he’s been shunted around and trialed in all sorts of positions was not helpful to anyone.
I get there are excuses, or extenuating circumstances, but Froggy were you happy or somewhat disappointed with Fogs year? I suppose after the strong end to 2022 I had projected upwards from there…but it didn’t happen. He went backwards IMO from the second half of 2022

I don’t believe there are any real excuses besides he is ranked behind a 33 year old player in his 16th season.

Uh, yeah ok. Pretty reasonable description of Tex's season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get there are excuses, or extenuating circumstances, but Froggy were you happy or somewhat disappointed with Fogs year? I suppose after the strong end to 2022 I had projected upwards from there…but it didn’t happen. He went backwards IMO from the second half of 2022
I’d like more from him but I’ll reserve my criticism for next year, I think 4 years as a key forward is where we can start to judge.
I’d also like more than just Dawson delivering it to them.
If he goes down the forward line are in for a world of pain imo.

Should be at least 100+ games by now but we ****ed about with him for years.

You're making the argument to the right guy here. 119 of course historically argued that we should select Jenkins for years over Fogarty. That he now claims that he 'loves' the player is only played out by his continuing to pop back up with over the top criticisms. Now he stinks because Tex is old and he hasn't overtaken him, just ignoring the best goal return by a key forward in nearly a decade.

This is the difficulty with this thread. Everything has to be so damn dramatic all the time by the same posters who are still upset that they missed on declaring him below AFL standard.

It's not enough to say 'Yeah, season was somewhat disappointing and he performed below what I had predicted, but that was coupled by an all time Tex season and some promising improvements in his game in other areas'. Instead we have to have this odd carry on that a perfectly serviceable second KPF season backing up a dominant one by the #1 KPF is somehow the reason we missed finals.

I’d like more from him but I’ll reserve my criticism for next year, I think 4 years as a key forward is where we can start to judge.

Do I have to post the article demonstrating that key position fowards don't hit their prime until their late 20s again?

When he gets sucked into the wrestle he struggles.

When he gets mobile pretty good. Needs to work on clunking marks more consistently.

Still young for a key forward.

No real concerns here, although a slight backwards year. Which I put down to injury.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It felt throughout the year we were overly focused on Tex.
And what an outstanding year Tex had so it was understandable.
But from Tex's 250th and then when he became a chance at the Coleman, that focus on Tex just increased further.
It's hard to compete with that to an extent when you are playing a similar role.
Fog lost a bit of form through patches of the year but hopefully it's a building block for a strong 2024

Goals for the 2nd highest scoring key forward in each team
Hawkins - 49
Hipwood - 39
Lukosius - 39
Ugle-Hagan - 35
Fogarty - 34
Marshall - 32
Riccardi - 30
McKay - 27
Darling - 26
Owens - 25
Franklin - 19
Wright - 19 (if you count Langford as a KPF)
McStay - 16
F. Greene - 15
Treacy - 15
Brown - 11
Lynch - 9
Coleman-Jones - 4

And on averages

Hawkins - 2.5
Wright - 1.9
Lukosius - 1.8
Hipwood - 1.7
Marshall - 1.7
Riccardi - 1.7
Fogarty - 1.6
Van Rooyen - 1.5
Franklin - 1.5
Riewoldt - 1.5
Ugle-Hagan - 1.5
McKay - 1.4
Greene - 1.4
McStay - 1.3
Darling - 1.3
Owens - 1.1
Treacy - 0.9
Comben - 0.6
Todd Marshall and Fog career stats are remarkably consistent with each other , Marshall missed a couple more games hence the average diff of goals

Ya reckon Dawson is solely responsible for us being one of the best ball movement teams in the league ?

He definitely helps but sheesh , there was some good fast ball coming in this year

I think next year can be the first year we can call Fog a senior player , happy to go with fact he was still in development this year

Did really well to get thru the early season with the medial ligament , helped win us the game against hawks in that period

Dropped off after bye lost some confidence, bounced back for a couple of games including the showdown … Then ran into Brisbane where he didn’t look like he backed himself in against Andrew’s et al , looked like he didn’t quite believe in himself at times

He’s had all the ups and downs now and had full backing of the coaches so next year I’ll judge him more like a senior player

Ya reckon Dawson is solely responsible for us being one of the best ball movement teams in the league ?

He definitely helps but sheesh , there was some good fast ball coming in this year
I think he’s definitely changed our midfield. We haven’t seen what our midfield looks like without him for awhile, actually we did in the first two games and the collingwood home game in the last qtr didn’t we, when we went defensive.

You're making the argument to the right guy here. 119 of course historically argued that we should select Jenkins for years over Fogarty. That he now claims that he 'loves' the player is only played out by his continuing to pop back up with over the top criticisms. Now he stinks because Tex is old and he hasn't overtaken him, just ignoring the best goal return by a key forward in nearly a decade.

This is the difficulty with this thread. Everything has to be so damn dramatic all the time by the same posters who are still upset that they missed on declaring him below AFL standard.

It's not enough to say 'Yeah, season was somewhat disappointing and he performed below what I had predicted, but that was coupled by an all time Tex season and some promising improvements in his game in other areas'. Instead we have to have this odd carry on that a perfectly serviceable second KPF season backing up a dominant one by the #1 KPF is somehow the reason we missed finals.

The stupid thing is, Tex would not have kicked 76 goals this year if Fogarty wasn't in the team. He has acted as the perfect foil as the opposition cannot man up on them all at once.

Back