Draft Watcher Davo-27's 2018 AFL Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
no Stack.... Davo...pretty sure he will go by 40
This isn't a phantom draft, its his rankings of players so while Stack is likely to be gone by 40, Davo doesn't rank him that highly
All the same Stack would be top 20 in power ranking. Kids Sam Powell-Pepper that can kick, knows how to use social media and keeps his fingers to himself.
No Syndey Stack?

ummm, guys, i told you so :p

Haha.
Its to do with his off field rather than talent.

Thoughts on O'Neill. I was gob smacked we took him over Valente.

O'Neill is from that highly skilled group at Oakleigh, i thought he would go a bit later behind Ross and Valente, but when a club wants a player they can go after them a few picks early and that means he will get good support at the club and are more likely to work out, so good signs in that respect.

all of Valente, Ross and O'Neill play similar games with slight differences and those small differences are what attracts different clubs to the types they like i guess.

ok so i'll list some players that missed out in the main draft that could be targets for clubs when the rookie draft happens in a couple of hours from now

Forw
Jake Gasper - Oakleigh - medium forw/mid
Zane Barzen - Murray - X-Factor forw
Oscar Chapman - Nth Adel - 3rd tall forw
Hudson Garoni - Murray - KPF
Finlay Bayne - Dandenong - sml forw/mid
Luke Moore - Sth Frem - inside mid/forw

Mids
Tom McKenzie - Northern - hbf/mid
Harry Reynolds - Sandringham - slim tall mid
Tom Lewis - Sturt - inside mid
Sydney Stack - Perth - outside mid
Lachlan McDonnell - Dandenong - goal kicking mid
Matt McGannon - Gippsland - utility/mid
Daly Andrews - Western - outside mid
Hayden Sampson - Sth Adel - mid/sml forw
Mitch Riordan - Dandenong - inside mid
Sam Fletcher - Dandenong - inside mid
Campbell Hustwaite - Dandenong - inside mid
Will Golds - Oakleigh - accumulator slim sml mid
Jed Hill - GWV - outside mid/forw
Angus Hanrahan - Sandringham - slim outside mid
Mitch Podhajski - Calder - big bodied mid
Rylie Morgan - Claremont - accumulator mid
Alastair Richards - Sandringham - running hbf/outside mid

Defenders
Joe Ayton-Delaney - Oakleigh - sml running defender
Lachlan Young - Dandenong - KPD/3rd tall def
Nick Baker - Tassie - running half back
Kyle Reid - Gippsland - KPD
James Blanck - Eastern - project KPD

add anymore that you think are likely to be picked up.

Last edited:
oi, i'll pick out all yours in a minute.
I know all mine, that’s what I’m saying there’s hits and misses. Hell you could find some for Cal as well. I even admitted my mistakes on a live draft chat I did. Just saying take the wins with the losses, don’t get too caught up in proving people wrong.

I’m just glad I don’t have to run a marathon.... haha

I know all mine, that’s what I’m saying there’s hits and misses. Hell you could find some for Cal as well. I even admitted my mistakes on a live draft chat I did. Just saying take the wins with the losses, don’t get too caught up in proving people wrong.

I’m just glad I don’t have to run a marathon.... haha

yea i was joking, but i just copped a lot of flak for my stance on sydney stack, so i thought a friendly reminder was due lol

Glad Lachlan Young got rookied by the Bulldogs, really liked his finals series for Dandenong

feel for Jake Gasper and Mitch Riordan, thought they were unlucky along with Ayton-Delaney and Chapman, but they are welcome to train for Box Hill, i hope...

Glad Lachlan Young got rookied by the Bulldogs, really liked his finals series for Dandenong

feel for Jake Gasper and Mitch Riordan, thought they were unlucky along with Ayton-Delaney and Chapman, but they are welcome to train for Box Hill, i hope...
A lot of the slower players missed out, a common theme no matter how well they played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of the slower players missed out, a common theme no matter how well they played.

Stack, Ayton-Delaney, Sampson and Richards arent slow and they didnt get drafted, but Sholl did

i rate speed of mind moreso than speed of foot, not that speed of foot isnt valuable also.

Stack, Ayton-Delaney, Sampson and Richards arent slow and they didnt get drafted, but Sholl did

i rate speed of mind moreso than speed of foot, not that speed of foot isnt valuable also.
Stack has the off-field issues and JAD didn’t test well for speed, Sampson was always looking like a late pick and Richards was always 50/50 for a rookie spot.

Sholl has the great tank and decision making but again was taken very late so those picks are more hit than miss most of the time

Last edited:
Ayton-Delany, Reid, Stack and Gaspar ridiculously stiff. None are slow all can play but think all will play state league or get invited back for TAC Overage year
For his role, Gaspar is slow. Compared to other small forwards, he is similar to Gryan Miers in the sense he has high footy IQ, but is not quick at all. I thought he was pretty stiff though. I'm actually not surprised JAD didn't get drafted, he's one I know Matt Balmer rated highly but a bit soft for mine. Reid stiff not to be a rookie, Stack, well, we know it's not talent that stopped him from being drafted. He's a mature-ager down the track if he applies himself.

For his role, Gaspar is slow. Compared to other small forwards, he is similar to Gryan Miers in the sense he has high footy IQ, but is not quick at all. I thought he was pretty stiff though. I'm actually not surprised JAD didn't get drafted, he's one I know Matt Balmer rated highly but a bit soft for mine. Reid stiff not to be a rookie, Stack, well, we know it's not talent that stopped him from being drafted. He's a mature-ager down the track if he applies himself.
Honestly I see a lot of similarities betweem Clark and Ayton-Delany (clark more willing to get contested ball) so I'm shocked he wasn't at least rookied.
Any news on why Reid wasn't picked up? I thought he was better than Kelly, Kosi and better than Silvagni by miles

Honestly I see a lot of similarities betweem Clark and Ayton-Delany (clark more willing to get contested ball) so I'm shocked he wasn't at least rookied.
Any news on why Reid wasn't picked up? I thought he was better than Kelly, Kosi and better than Silvagni by miles
Clark has a few more tricks than JAD and is better overall athletically. A rookie spot would have been about right for JAD though.

Speaking of tricks, Reid doesn't have many. He's a consistent key defender, but athletically he lacks, so a bit slow and for his size (undersized) it is the two areas that you need to have one of the other realistically. Kelly and Kosi a lot more likely to develop, while Silvagni, well I think it's as much about name and the fact he is a good size. But again, probably has more to his game for the future than Reid. I thought Reid might be another late/rookie but didn't pan out that way.

my take on the result of the draft and rookie draft from each clubs POV, this is my take on the draft, it may differ from your own.

Adelaide - Chayce Jones, Ned McHenry, Will Hamill, Lachlan Sholl - rookies - Kieran Strachan, Paul Hunter, Jordon Butts (7/10)
- 3 quality kids with their first picks, Sholl is potential, 2 state league players for depth and a smokey late in the rookie draft

Brisbane - Ely Smith, Tom Berry, Tom Joyce, Connor McFadyen, Noah Answerth - rookies - Ryan Bastinac, Jacob Allison (8.5/10)
- 4 players with high quality or potential, Answerth as a smokey and 2 decent ex-players returning

Carlton - Sam Walsh, Liam Stocker, Finbar O'Dwyer, Ben Silvagni - rookies - Hugh Goddard, Tom Bugg (6/10)
- great first pick, Stocker ok but for a high price, O'Dwyer and Silvagni lucky to be drafted, Goddard and Bugg ok without being exciting

Collingwood - Isaac Quaynor, Will Kelly, Atu Bosenavulagi - rookies - Tim Broomhead, Sam Murray (5/10)
- 3 NGA's and 2 re-drafted, not very exciting for fans of youth and regeneration, Bosenavulagi has great speed and potential, Quaynor and Kelly are decent

Essendon - Irving Mosquito, Noah Gown, Brayden Ham - rookies - Tuth Jok, Matt Dea (6/10)
- a sml forw with some talent but is very low production, a good KPF prospect drafted late and a medium forw , with 2 unexciting rookie picks

Fremantle - Sam Sturt, Luke Valente, Lachlan Schultz, Brett Bewley - rookies - Ethan Hughes, Tobe Watson, Ryan Nyhuis (6/10)
- 2 really good picks in the draft early, then a bunch of squad depth

Geelong - Jordan Clark, Ben Jarvis, Jacob Kennerley, Darcy Fort, Jake Tarca, Oscar Brownless - rookies - Tom Atkins (7/10)
- 2 really good youngsters in Clark and especially Brownless late, 2 youngsters with promise, then 3 state league players with decent reputations

Gold Coast - Jack Lukosius, Izak Rankine, Ben King, Jez McLennan, Caleb Graham - rookies - Michael Rischitelli, Jack Leslie, Brad Scheer, Harrison Wigg (9/10)
- the picks they had, they were always going to do great, but Ben King and Jez McLennan, what a win, then a bunch of squad depth

GWS - Jye Caldwell, Jackson Hately, Xavier O'Halloran, Ian Hill, Kieran Briggs, Connor Idun - rookies - 0 (8.5)
- really good draft, although i didnt think Idun would get drafted

Hawthorn - Jacob Koschitzke, Mathew Walker - rookies - Damon Greaves, Will Golds, Tim Mohr, Will Langford (8/10)
- talented KPD, highly skilled forw/mid, tough and hard working hbf and a mid with a lot of potential with 2 squad depth players

Melbourne - Tom Sparrow, James Jordan, Aaron Nietschke, Marty Hore, Toby Bedford - rookies - Kade Chandler (9/10)
- great draft imo, i think every player they picked up is exciting in some way and they were brave picking Chandler who i liked but is 173cm tall

North Melb - Tarryn Thomas, Curtis Taylor, Bailey Scott, Joel Crocker - rookies - Tom McKenzie, Kyron Hayden, Tom Wilkinson (7/10)
- they scored big with their 2 academy/father-son gets, the other players are mixed success

Port Adel - Connor Rozee, Zak Butters, Xavier Duursma, Riley Grundy, Boyd Woodcock - rookies - Tobin Cox, Cameron Hewett (9/10)
- really good group of young players, with a couple of state league players for depth

Richmond - Riley Collier-Dawkins, Jack Ross, Fraser Turner, Luke English - rookies - Jake Aarts, Jacob Townsend, Mabior Chol (6.5/10)
- great pick up in Ross, RCD keeps dropping in my order, Fraser decent, English not so good, with re-drafted players

St Kilda - Max King, Jack Bytel, Matthew Parker, Nick Hind, Robert Young - rookies - Callum Wilkie (8/10)
- King and Bytel are good youngsters with a bunch of highly valued state leaguers

Sydney - Nick Blakey, James Rowbottom, Justin McInerney, Zac Foot - rookies - Durak Tucker, Harry Reynolds, Kurt Tippett (6/10)
- very hit and miss for me, Blakey and Reynolds were good gets for them though

West Coast - Xavier O'Neill, Luke Foley, Bailey Williams, Jarrod Cameron - rookies - Harry Edwards, Josh Smith (9/10)
- cant fault any of their picks, a lot of talent and a few bargains, recruiting like this is why they are reining premiers

Western - Bailey Smith, Rhylee West, Laitham Vandermeer, Ben Cavarra, Will Hayes - rookies - Lachlan Young, Jordan Sweet (8.5/10)
- they picked up 2 of my favourite players and generally highly regarded talent

all good Davo...I'll take the spray LOL re Stack....will be interesting to see how he progresses toward 2019 draft...

Well done and thanks for the mock draft....really appreciated it :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back