PS4 Days Gone

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
The new game from Sony Bend

New Extended Demo

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...ne-bend-studios-new-open-world-ps4-adventure/

Set in the beautiful, volcanic scarred high-desert of the Pacific Northwest, Days Gone is an open-world action-adventure game where you play as Deacon St. John, a Drifter and bounty hunter who would rather risk the dangers of the broken road than live in one of the “safe” wilderness encampments.

The game takes place two years after a global pandemic has killed almost everyone, but transformed millions of others into what survivors call Freakers – mindless, feral creatures, more animal than human but very much alive and quickly evolving.

image_days_gone-32155-3632_0003.jpg

image_days_gone-32155-3632_0004.jpg

image_days_gone-32155-3632_0007.jpg

image_days_gone-32155-3632_0008.jpg

image_days_gone-32155-3632_0010.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
info from Youtube live at E3

* Game is heavily story focused single player only Action/Adventure survival game experience like of Last of Us in some ways
* Bike (focuses on bike culture) is really important in the game and he never leaves which is crafted and built by the player
* Set in Pacific High desert harsh volcanic place with caves etc,,
* Open world sandbox style game that can be fully explorable
* Has Dynamic day/night cycle and weather system
* Has RPG (crafting) elements and changes gameplay based on that, so player needs to understand the tools and environment
* World is dangerous compared to other zombie games out there as they say zombies try to kill everything that moves especially at night
* Game has been in development for 3+ years, but still its in early development as they just only finished core mechanics/ideas of the game and not ready yet

The zombies certainly look a lot more dangerous than other ones.

I really like the interaction with the environment but it all depends on what was staged for the video.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Looks great, and the freakers look like the injected zombies from the movie I Am Legend, quick, in numbers and viscious.

Can see there being real tension and fear when coming up against hordes of them, unlike some zombie games where you know they're really no threat.

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
More info from the devs interview with Rooster teeth today

* Studio is about 100 people, was around 40 - 50 for Uncharted Vita.

* Game is PS4 Exclusive, no PC mode "We are Sony Bend, we are PS4 Exclusive" lol. At Sony Bend, they make it very clear during interview, everyone wears a lot of hats. Many people are involved in different aspects.

* One thing I picked up is you ride a special bike, called a Drifter, that can drive off road, they said lots of off roading since the roads are all broken up, "Broken Roads." The bike is needed to survive, it is like its own character. It has saddle bags that holds your inventory. The bike is grounded, you will need to "know where it is and manage it" Several devs are bikers, lots of research into the bike. Actually got it up on rollers to make sure they got the sound of the bike right.

* Also, weather has a big effect on traveling and how the bike handles.

* No Multiplayer at all, focusing on their strengths, single player story.

* Demo was a bounty hunting mission, hunting down a biker "2 Dog" and tried to show the danger of leaving the safety of encampments.

* Wanted the game to be a big sandbox of what you would do when "s**t goes down."

* Weapons crafting system, they call a "MacGuyver Mentality" where the you figure out clever ways to build tools to get out of situations.

* Their demo they are showing off on show floor has "millions" of ways to play that demo, depending on what tools you bring with you. The environment also plays a huge role in how you deal with certain situations.

* Takes place just a few years after the "apocolypse" event. Society is starting to try to rebuild, as supplies are starting to run out. Made it sound like part of the game is figuring out what to do with the resources you find.

* Wildlife is in the game, they have a "huge" wildlife system they aren't going to talk much about right now. But the event didn't wipe out all wildlife.

* Not willing to talk yet about different story paths, different endings, etc. They chuckled but they dont want to talk about it yet.

* Zombie hoard was all real, no LOD tricks, there are that many people on the screen.

* No release date or time window. They aren't wanting to do that right now.

* It was huge for their studio to be right up there on stage, getting prime focus, along with all of Sony's other big studios. It showed them how much Sony believes in their product. It meant a lot to them.

* Game has been in development for 3+ years, but still its in early development as they just only finished core mechanics/ideas of the game and not ready yet

The game has also taken inspiration from the Sons of Anarchy TV series.

And some info from Playstation PR

Exemplifying truly free-form gameplay, Days Gone offers freedom to explore, strategize and play “your way” in the vast high-desert of the Pacific Northwest. The hazardous environments, filled with carved out ridges, mountains, caves, cliffs mines and river basins, deliver a breathtaking backdrop to an equally diverse style of gameplay.

Emergent Gameplay

Featuring fully explorable environments and dynamic AI enemies, players will rely on their own abilities to strategize, craft weapons and tools, explore the world, and engage in combat. With almost every car, building and environment searchable, Days Gone delivers emergent gameplay possibilities, making a player’s approach to combat and discovery a vital part of the experience.

Stunning, Dynamic Graphics

Using the power of PlayStation 4 and Unreal Engine 4, Bend Studio has developed a high volume of rendering and gameplay technology to deliver an incredibly realistic open world experience. Realistic weather effects, such as rain, wind, snow and day-night cycles impact the gameplay. The game’s lighting is all real-time and reacts dynamically, the way the human iris does, as players move from one location to the next

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New extended demo, different from the one played yesterday

The Music is also similar to the Last of Us, those hordes are insane, crafting is also real time in game like TLoU.

This looks amazing, still somethings they need to work on like hitmarkers and more blood spatter, but looking good.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
Uncharted 5: The Last Of Dead Rising War Z

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
This looks like something I might pick up at $30. Zombies are such an overused enemy type.

Looks great, and the freakers look like the injected zombies from the movie I Am Legend, quick, in numbers and viscious.

Can see there being real tension and fear when coming up against hordes of them, unlike some zombie games where you know they're really no threat.

Were these zombies really a threat? He was just jogging around with no sense of urgency. Never got any sense that these things could kill him.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Trailer looked good, but the gameplay video left a lot to be desired for me.

Graphically didn't seem that great for PS4 and the zombies appeared to have no intelligence and just ran around like a bunch of headless chickens. Looked pretty easy to shoot them too. The graphics could probably be explained by the 720p because the trailer looked much better.

Like the idea of a sandbox survival game but not sold yet.

I feel like the zombies will be overused and overwhelming. Hopefully big groups like that are more of a rarity across the map and you can actually at times only come up again much smaller groups, would like to be able to use a baseball bat up close.

I feel like the zombies will be overused and overwhelming. Hopefully big groups like that are more of a rarity across the map and you can actually at times only come up again much smaller groups, would like to be able to use a baseball bat up close.

I just don't get what the point was in taking on that hoard. He could clearly out run them and out manoeuvre them, why not just bolt back over the fence to your bike and * off? Unless there was a specific item at the location just seems like a massive waste of ammo. In saying that, the amount of ammo that he had hardly makes it look like desperate times too.

Kinda interested but it looks like a tired concept.

I just don't get what the point was in taking on that hoard. He could clearly out run them and out manoeuvre them, why not just bolt back over the fence to your bike and **** off? Unless there was a specific item at the location just seems like a massive waste of ammo. In saying that, the amount of ammo that he had hardly makes it look like desperate times too.

That was purely designed to show off the hoard, I don't mind the concept and they've changed it up a bit, looks to be a pretty large open world game with plenty of wildlife and freedom to explore, just hoping that every area isn't populated with a million zombies to fight through, hopefully there are plenty of stealth elements.

That was purely designed to show off the hoard, I don't mind the concept and they've changed it up a bit, looks to be a pretty large open world game with plenty of wildlife and freedom to explore, just hoping that every area isn't populated with a million zombies to fight through, hopefully there are plenty of stealth elements.

Yeah true. Just not big on the entire "here's some gameplay that you'll never actually play" for the sake of advertising.

Yeah true. Just not big on the entire "here's some gameplay that you'll never actually play" for the sake of advertising.

Hype, build the hype.

Seems to be a pretty long time away from release.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I just don't get what the point was in taking on that hoard.

Well zombies are born to be violently destroyed.

It is really done to death, state of decay, days gone, dying light, dead rising, dead island.... really hard to get excited for a new game of this type, Sony Bend did an amazing job of the uncharted vita game and you could see alot of naughty dog in that game play trailer which can be risky when you try to emulate a company like naughty dog too much. There's some elements there that could be decent, take way the zombies and add a stronger biker element to me would be more appealing.

I'm over them too but I thought the gameplay was so good it has me excited for it.

I do wish it was some other creature but whatever.

I'm over them too but I thought the gameplay was so good it has me excited for it.

I do wish it was some other creature but whatever.

Hopefully humans and animals play a bigger part; like you're mainly fighting other survivors and the zombies are just a background thing to a greater extent than TLOU.

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Hmm looks good but after last of us I need something different besides zombies ...loved last of us

If it's half as good as last of us it will be brilliant

Back