FTA-TV Dead Man's Gap

Remove this Banner Ad

Where the hell has this come from?

I swear this is not a footy term or saying, or if it is, I havent heard it before.

However in the last few weeks I swear Ive heard it half a dozen times from multiple commentators.

Got an example in context?

Not a specific one, but Ive heard BT amd Dwayne Russell both use it, when the ball has gone into a dangerous spot in the 50 and a defender is there.

Hmmm. I can't find anything that looks like an solid source for 'Dead Man's Gap'. I can only guess that someone's been watching old westerns over the summer, or reading Henry Lawson's 'Roll Up at Talbragar'. In any case, it's a poor metaphor for a wasted attacking play (and playmaker.)

Hmmm. I can't find anything that looks like an solid source for 'Dead Man's Gap'. I can only guess that someone's been watching old westerns over the summer, or reading Henry Lawson's 'Roll Up at Talbragar'. In any case, it's a poor metaphor for a wasted attacking play (and playmaker.)

It’s more specifically referring to the defender who’s backing back unsighted into the ‘hole’ in front of oncoming traffic. The spot where in Pluggers or Abletts day there was a very real risk of becoming a dead man.

It’s more specifically referring to the defender who’s backing back unsighted into the ‘hole’ in front of oncoming traffic. The spot where in Pluggers or Abletts day there was a very real risk of becoming a dead man.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Where the hell has this come from?

I swear this is not a footy term or saying, or if it is, I havent heard it before.

However in the last few weeks I swear Ive heard it half a dozen times from multiple commentators.
Its a bit like the channel 10 big bash commentators talking about losing your shape. They made this shyte up at a production meeting........nek minut my coco pops are losing their shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back