Discussion Defunct VFA Club Memorabilia - Records

Remove this Banner Ad

But surely as 'keeper of the code' they have a responsibility to the history of that code.

To a degree I agree with you, but dont forget that the SANFL and WAFL in particular have fought for their independence for decades from the AFL and both those organisations maintain responsibility for ALL football in their states. its kind of become their own fault if their history is ignored.

The AFL Commission became the governing body taking over the functions of the ANFC - history of the game wasnt an ANFC function either as far as I can recall.

At the end of the day Im not saying its right or fair, but the AFL and VFA interests didnt really align until the VFA and VSFL merged a decade or so ago.

What happened to the VFA was a disgrace, it killed it for a lot of people who had the VFA competition up there with the VFL. I'd imagine you had to live or had grown up in a VFA suburb to feel like this.

Williamstown were on par with Richmond for me growing up, I lived 5 minutes from Williamstown's ground, would go watch training after school, go watch them every home game. One they started aligning them with AFL clubs, changing their song, etc it was never the same.

I go a bit more now than I had been the past 15 years, we are now stand alone which is something I guess. It'll never be like it was though, sadly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back