Derby Matchups

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 25, 2002
Roleystone
AFL Club
Fremantle
Its a slow start to derby week so I'll get the ball rolling....

Cousins is a class player with a huge engine and needs a minder. Although not as dominant in the last few games as he can be if we give him any leeway he has the potential to inspire and rally. The good thing about Benny is that a lot of his possessions are handball recieves and being the second or third reciever. Shaun Hart did a good job of blanketing him but I think the way to go would be to tag team him, perhaps Carr used as an attacking minder and Walker defensive.

I am not sure if it is even worth tagging Judd. He is so explosive all we end up doing is having a player running after him doing bugger alll else. Let him go head to head with one of our guys but as per every other team, make a team effort to dump him at every opportunity.

Chick did a good job on Pavlich last derby but, alas, is not playing. In his absence I reckon Woosha will give Embley a run with job as he had Embley running after Hird for the first 3 quarters. (And yes there is the smart alecky riposte but try to hold back) I am guessing Woosha thinks Embers is suited to a tall strong opponent. Perhaps Rowan Jones but I doubt it.

Kerr and Fletcher to go head to head with Bell and Hase, but I have an inkiling Woosha might assign a lesser light a job on Hase. Reasoning being that Hase is not explosive but is in great form and a dedicated tagger would cramp his style. My smokey is Braun.

Parker to go with Steggles and Hayden to go with Sampi. If Hayden doesn't play I'm not sure who will go to Sampi. I don't think Walker is suited to either of them as they play taller than him(Go figure) but he may be given the go ahead anyway.
My tip is for Gilmore to play on either Matera, Sampi or Judd.

I wonder if it's too late to bring Kickett out of retirement for the match, stick him on Jako if he's playing after that nasty injury. 8 year olds can be tough.
It's always hard when it comes to the Derby match-ups because the Toast only have a midfield and a small man in the forward pocket. That's not to say that we can take this game for granted as WC hae been completely unpredictable this year. However, I will say with them missing Chick, that's a big plus for Pavlich to run wild.
I reckon we should play Walker on Judd, for the fact that Walker has taken up his game a notch, and has amazing speed which he is really starting to exploit. So with speed and stamina he could run with Judd all day. Probably not keep him quiet but maybe stifle some of his skill.
In terms of Carr, I wouldn't stick him on Cousins or Judd being as he has just returned from injury, so I doubt he'd be suited to tagging this weekend. Maybe use him as a loose man in defence?
For Cousins maybe try Schammer, that kid is going to win the brownlow in a few years time. He's got skill, and I reckon he could probably blanket Cousins effectively.
Also, I reckon Clive should be used this weekend, against all good sense. He stars in Derby's and I think this may be make or break weekend for him. It's possible my judgement has been tainted by watching Destruction Derby again, but I reckon if he is going to prove himself, now would be the time.
Wouldn't know who to put on Kerr. Grover maybe. Give Hase and Bell space to work.

I considered Walker for a job on Judd due to his pace but I think he will be needed elsewhwere. I never would've thought I'd say this but two walkers wouldn't go astray!

If we're going to play a loose man in defence it is going to be Polak but seeing as there are no big leading forwards from the toast I think this is unlikely. If anything I would like to see us stacking our forward line with talls. JLo, Simmonds, Polak etal.

I agree with you that Carr would find running out a full match a concern, but I can't see Grover in the midfield.

As for Clive, if all things were even he would be out but that is not the nature of derbys. I just hope that the newer members of the team can feel the intensity of the displeasure of the past.

i can actually see you guys playing a lot of you're talls in the forward line. waterhouse, simmonds, polak and jLo would stretch west coast defense. i would hope that we name both gaspar and glass to cover this scenario.

i midfield would be the key to this match. neither side has got a forward line that is really firing at the moment. i pretty much agree with T_C's match ups. i get the feeling though that west coast would like to play a fairly open running game with taggers used only on pavlich and maybe hase.

Good to see that D.J. is running into a bit of form. He is a player that gets better the more he plays so I am tipping an good show from him this weekend. It doesn't really matter how they match up as they (E-girls) will always come up with a mismatch in our favour.

Looking forward to see who picks up Snake and the Wiz.

If they start off like he finished last week there will be 35000 prewarmed seats available at 1/4 time.

I know that CC is trying to play Polak at CHF, but I feel that he may rotate around the ground depending on Pav's whims. Pav should play in the "Hird position", which is nominally CHF, but is really just roaming through the half back to full forward line where the ball is.

To bring in Gasper and Glass could end up with someone in tears. They could come out and play blinders or they could break down. For me Gasper (good player) needs more time for his body to be ready for the rigours of AFL, another week or two at WAFL.

I won't guess the midfield, because I seem to never be able to work out who's playing on who anyway.

Who will take on Snake?, Carroll, Staker, Lynch ....

Who will take on the Wiz?, his biggest enemy is himself!!, try Humm.

i think that the eagles only options for simmonds are carroll ( :eek: ) or glass. that is why i'd like to see him come into the side. lynch might get a go but he would be better suited to someone like waterhouse (if he gets a game). staker doesn't have the build to play on simmonds.

as for farmer it might be a job the new comer in waters. as masai said his biggest enemy is himself. if he can be kept quiet for the first half he usually doesn't have an impact on the second.

as for gaspar i'd like to see him come into the side at CHF. you've got to take the punt on him someday. he's played 2 and half weeks in the WAFL without worries. saying that he probably won't get a run cause jackovich looks ready to play.

Hmm with the ommison of Carroll and Waters this is how i think it will turn out

FREO STICKS

Farmer SNake Sandilands
Wirrpunda Glass Lynch

Medhurst Polak T.Longmuir
Braun Gaspar Nicoski

Headland Pav McManus
Embley Cousins Judd

Parker McPharlin Walker
Sampi Jackovich Adkins

Hayden Hunter Jones
Matera Hadrill Woods

JLo Hase Bell
Big COx Kerr Fletcher

Int.
Cook, Gilmore, Schammer, Grover
Seaby, Staker, Morrison, Chambers

That Weagles side is not much chop if you ask me. Lack speed in the backline. Talls are useless and pathetic. Talls are not as valuable at Subiaco though. Our smalls should break even, or even beat them through some physical dominance. I see our tackling breaking them down. The Eagles have always been suspect to a bit of physical attention. Our bigger bodies should intimidate them.

Dockers by 9 goals

Snake's stocks have certainly jumped a bit, haven't they? One good game out of his last thirty isn't going to strike terror in the hearts of our defenders.

Adam Hunter gave him a nice ol' touch-up in the last Derby - but we might have to get really serious and actually play Glass on him this time. Although Glassy is understandably keen to dish out some more soap and water for Justin Lostmuir.

Speaking of Simmonds, did anyone notice how much bloody grease he had dripping off his arms last week? Has he been getting stuck into the baby oil? Or has he just popped one zit too many?

How about centre half forward for you blokes? Still sticking with Polak? Any chance he'll get a kick this year? And, if he does, is there any chance he'll do something damaging with it?

Must admit, I'm really looking forward to winding up 'The Wiz' on Saturday. And I won't even need to worry about copping anything back, because he'll be too busy chasing Wirrpunda's backside all day.

Medhurst ... now he is a problem. Bit disappointed that Woosh didn't stick with Green, who always seems to play well against the little runt.

The other end of the ground will be interesting.

Gaspar might have to be played out of the goalsquare, as he's still lacking the fitness to play centre half forward. I'm marking him down for a lazy five goals. Maybe even a bag of eight if Woosh decides to leave him on the ground during party time (ie. the second half).

Jako straight back to centre half forward. Probably play as a bit of a decoy to try and take McPharlin away from the action, much like he did with Chris Grant in round one.

Fido has set himself for a big one. He and Sampi will carve up your backline.

But, lets face it, it's a waste of time talking about the two forward lines. Cousins, Kerr, Fletcher, Juddy and Embley in the guts will be the major catalyst for our ten goal win.

The thing that worries me about this weekend is whether we decide to play a spare man in the backline or not. If we do, this will free up a man in the Eagles backline, allowing them to work the ball alot faster through the midfield off halfback. I think that this could really bring their midfield into the game. I hope that on saturday, we play man on man all over the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by TheRealBuzz
Snake's stocks have certainly jumped a bit, haven't they? One good game out of his last thirty isn't going to strike terror in the hearts of our defenders.

Adam Hunter gave him a nice ol' touch-up in the last Derby - but we might have to get really serious and actually play Glass on him this time. Although Glassy is understandably keen to dish out some more soap and water for Justin Lostmuir.

Speaking of Simmonds, did anyone notice how much bloody grease he had dripping off his arms last week? Has he been getting stuck into the baby oil? Or has he just popped one zit too many?

How about centre half forward for you blokes? Still sticking with Polak? Any chance he'll get a kick this year? And, if he does, is there any chance he'll do something damaging with it?

Must admit, I'm really looking forward to winding up 'The Wiz' on Saturday. And I won't even need to worry about copping anything back, because he'll be too busy chasing Wirrpunda's backside all day.

Medhurst ... now he is a problem. Bit disappointed that Woosh didn't stick with Green, who always seems to play well against the little runt.

The other end of the ground will be interesting.

Gaspar might have to be played out of the goalsquare, as he's still lacking the fitness to play centre half forward. I'm marking him down for a lazy five goals. Maybe even a bag of eight if Woosh decides to leave him on the ground during party time (ie. the second half).

Jako straight back to centre half forward. Probably play as a bit of a decoy to try and take McPharlin away from the action, much like he did with Chris Grant in round one.

Fido has set himself for a big one. He and Sampi will carve up your backline.

But, lets face it, it's a waste of time talking about the two forward lines. Cousins, Kerr, Fletcher, Juddy and Embley in the guts will be the major catalyst for our ten goal win.

hey Buzz... did you come here by mistake? There is a Fantasy Footy board y'know!!

Originally posted by Kenny_01
The reason we will win is because half the Eagles team wouldn't get games in our team. Pretty simple really.
Is this the same team that has had Crab Cunningham as a regular this year?

Obviously it's not that hard to get a gig in your side.

Originally posted by TheRealBuzz
Is this the same team that has had Crab Cunningham as a regular this year?

Obviously it's not that hard to get a gig in your side.

Mate... in my opinion we have 30+ players better than Cunningham.

I wouldn't call him a regular... Connolly just would have played him to see what he's got. We're much stronger than last year and pretty much injury free, and he only played 1 game last year.

Anyway, even our 21st and 22nd players this week (probably TLo and Gilmore) are more than handy players.

Originally posted by ImperialPurple
righto... the nerves are kicking in and I don't like the feeling. Time to start my visualisations I think!! :eek:

You mean hallucinations don,t you. Maybe you should try smoking the same stuff Kenny is on.

Originally posted by West Coast Stre
You mean hallucinations don,t you. Maybe you should try smoking the same stuff Kenny is on.

You obviously don't understand the difference between premonition and visualisation.... but as they say (esp around WC parts) ignorance is bliss. I shall happily leave you in your blissful ignorance.

Ok Moo - for you:

Freo 17.14 116
WCE 13.16 94

22 point win to Freo.*

(*Past results are no guarantee of future success!!! :cool: )

Right IP ...I've sold my house, cat and daughter to the highest bidder ....now subtract the money I had to pay to have my wife taken away as part of the deal ........loading it all up on Freo now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back