Analysis Derek Hine

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst I get officially Kennedy and the broomheaded one are first round picks,
That year’s draft had 23 picks as first round.
Which to me is kind of silly.

Grundy was Pick 18
So I’m a bit more saying 18 picks should be the maximum considered first rounders.

On that basis Freeman is the big bomb. Injury plagued Freeman.
even with Freeman I'd put an ** because on Talent we can all see it that he dominates VFL. Hine couldn't predict his injury(s)

Whilst I get officially Kennedy and the broomheaded one are first round picks,
That year’s draft had 23 picks as first round.
Which to me is kind of silly.

Grundy was Pick 18
So I’m a bit more saying 18 picks should be the maximum considered first rounders.

On that basis Freeman is the big bomb. Injury plagued Freeman.
Agree SV. Broomy and BenKen are 2nd rounders when it comes to assessing picks.

Hines 3 massive ticks will likely end up being Pendles, De Goey and Stevo. While there usually isnt much variations in where the top 10 players are rated so the recruiters task here is in a way straightforward Hine did have to back his judgement and make a bit of a stretch for these 3 and the rewards with Pendles have been huge and the potential is there for something similar with the other 2.

Hines 3 massive ticks will likely end up being Pendles, De Goey and Stevo. While there usually isnt much variations in where the top 10 players are rated so the recruiters task here is in a way straightforward Hine did have to back his judgement and make a bit of a stretch for these 3 and the rewards with Pendles have been huge and the potential is there for something similar with the other 2.
What? No Sidebottom?:(
Think that he is the backbone of Collingwood.

He just has about a Perfect Record when he took over from Judkins in 2005.

Here are his 1st Rounders:

• Daisy Thomas
  • Scott Pendlebury
  • Ben Reid
  • Nathan Brown
  • Steele Sidebottom
  • Brodie Grundy
  • Ben Kenndy
  • Tim Broomhead
  • Matthew Scharanberg
  • Nathan Freeman
  • Jordan De Goey
  • Darcy Moore
  • Jaiyden Stephenson
Only Kennedy and Freeman only Proper Misses from them

Kennedy, Broomhead and Freeman all busts.

The interesting thing in that list is most have a big injury question mark on them, either recruited that way or the issues developed over time.

- Daisy - Ankle issues, didnt show until late in his career.
- Ben Reid - made of glass
- Brown - Knees were training related if I remember, but shoulder issues as well.
- Broomy - lots of issues prior to the leg break.
- Sharenberg - foot issues prior to knees.
- Freeman - Hammies
- Moore - Hammies
- Stephenson - Heart

I donno what it means. Just interesting.

Dayne Beams says “Hi”.

He just has about a Perfect Record when he took over from Judkins in 2005.

Here are his 1st Rounders:

• Daisy Thomas
  • Scott Pendlebury
  • Ben Reid
  • Nathan Brown
  • Steele Sidebottom
  • Brodie Grundy
  • Ben Kenndy
  • Tim Broomhead
  • Matthew Scharanberg
  • Nathan Freeman
  • Jordan De Goey
  • Darcy Moore
  • Jaiyden Stephenson
Only Kennedy and Freeman only Proper Misses from them
Shazza is finally starting to come through now. It's been a fair wait but he's certainly not the bust people were saying he was a couple years back and even last year I saw some people say it. Good things don't come easy...

IF the Suns get the compo pick for Lynch coming to us, we should let them use Hine's services for their first two picks in the draft. Under no circumstances do they trade either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Copied from the Melbourne v Collingwood post game thread )

I am dog/house sitting in Richmond. Today, I was standing with some fellow dog owners at an off-lead park when one of the males asks if Collingwood won yesterday. I chimed in with a 'yes' not realising the question was directed to a woman in our midst.

' ... 's a partner of one of the recruiters. Do you know any of the Collingwood recruiters?' a guy asked me.

'Yes, Derek Hine and Matt Rendell for starters. I've probably been a bit of a critic of Derek in the online forums, mocking the 'In Hine we trust' line at times.'

'He's probably read it', came the woman's reply, at which point I realised that Mrs Hine was the woman in question. Of course, I was back peddling at this point, then started taking an inordinate interest in the activities of the 2 dogs in my charge.

And truthfully, I have been too harsh a critic of Hine. I always believed we should have taken a tall not De Goey, but not anymore. Never was a fan of the Scharenberg/Freeman double, but one of those pigeons has come home to roost, though the other is yet to leave the ground. Phillips had become a popular whipping boy, but I've more than come around on him. Thomas, Stephenson, Hoskin-Elliott, Maynard, Cox, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Howe and several others now seem inspired selections. There are many other players who are now showing why they were selected in the the draft or as trades.

Even the aging Dunn is proving an astute acquisition. And just when we thought that Mayne was the duddest deal ever signed off on in AFL history, the guy plays a blinder in one of our greatest wins. Suddenly we realise he has actually been building into his role for some weeks.

If you're reading, Derek, my apologies and best wishes for future drafts and trades. Both you and Buckley have vindicated the club's faith in you and made the naysayers eat their words.

I am told you are pretty chilled sort of guy, so if I see you with your dog I'll probably say hi and ask you if we are really into Lynch for next year. Otherwise, keep turning over that young talent and see if you can unearth another gem or rough diamond from this year's draft. I was wrong. You're doing OK.

Last edited:
(Copied from the Melbourne v Collingwood post game thread )

I am dog/house sitting in Richmond. Today, I was standing with some fellow dog owners at an off-lead park when one of the males asks if Collingwood won yesterday. I chimed in with a 'yes' not realising the question was directed to a woman in our midst. ' ... 's a partner of one of the recruiters. Do you know any recruiters?
'Yes, Derek Hine and Matt Rendell for starters. I've probably been a bit of a critic of Derek in the online forums, mocking the 'In Hine we trust' line at times.'

'He's probably read it', came the woman's reply, at which point I realised that Mrs Hine was the woman in question. Of course, I was back peddling at this point, then started taking an inordinate interest in the activities of the 2 dogs in my charge.

And truthfully, I have been too harsh a critic of Hine. I always believed we should have taken a tall not De Goey, but not anymore. Never was a fan of the Scharenberg/Freeman double, but one of those pigeons has come home to roost, though the other is yet to leave the ground. Phillips had become a popular whipping boy, but I've more than come around on him. Thomas, Stephenson, Hoskin-Elliott, Maynard, Cox, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Howe and several others now seem inspired selections. There are many other players who are now showing why they were selected in the the draft or as trades.

Even the aging Dunn is proving an astute acquisition. And just when we thought that Mayne was the duddest deal ever signed off on in AFL history, the guy plays a blinder in one of our greatest wins. Suddenly we realise he has actually been building into his role for some weeks.

If you're reading, Derek, my apologies and best wishes for future drafts and trades. Both you and Buckley have vindicated the club's faith in you and made the naysayers eat their words.

I am told you are pretty chilled sort of guy, so if I see you with your dog I'll probably say hi and ask you if we are really into Lynch for next year. Otherwise, keep turning over that young talent and see if you can unearth another gem or rough diamond from this year's draft. I was wrong. You're doing OK.

:thumbsu: Thanks for sharing.

Isn't Dave really Derek Hine? Conspiracy theory who started this thread? :p

Sounds Simmlar what Wills and Sier could give us

Similar but Cripps has the runs on the board. Our 2 are only about potential at this stage. The point is that if we'd swapped Freeman for Cripps, there wouldn't be any need to wait for Wills and Sier to step up.

I've said this story about two years ago in here and repeated it once or twice.
Take it any way you wish folks.
A recruiter from a premiership club conveyed to me about Derek Hine, that within the industry, he is regarded in the top two or three recruiters.
That's how he is viewed; reading back some of the posts in this thread it's obvious the industry practioners have a different world view to our ownosters.

Maybe, recruiters know that you are attempting to pick winners, years out from performance.
They know results are not driven through a McDonalds drive through, an instant Quater Pounder with cheese (or in France, Royale with Cheese - on account of the metric system). It can never be instant.

Recruiters know they are looking at youngsters in a few groupings. The elite and highest level juniors are one focus, the medium level types another level, then older or exposed senior players for top ups or list balance. Those are all in the mix being viewed for precious spots on the list.

Then there is understanding that recruiters can only work with the picks they have. I look every now and again and see how what looks like an average player picked and see who went afterwards. Often there is not much or nothing else left.

No club or recruiter can get every pick perfect they can not see things looking back they are often guessing looking forward.

That said, Brayden Sier was on the radar of a few clubs but not in the top few players. We pounced on him because they saw a potential quality player, big strong and high level vision.

The Bear is better than I'd ever have thought, he is a beast. And his vision for such a type, exemplary.

• A good driver in heavy traffic.

ps. It's true I've been a long time defender of Hine and rapt we have Rendell as well.all this on the basis of what I was told by someone deep in the industry.

Saturday afternoon may it be successful because that's what's it all about.

Quality bump.
just get rid of him
Still want him gone Pabs?
Have a look of the names between 32 and 58 (Phillips)

Its s really weak draft.

Mathieson
M.Adams
Collins
Marko
Bonner
Balic
Hardwick
Hibberd
Schoenfeld

Its pretty ordinary.
Sier will be a bust, won't play any senior games but majority in that range won't play more than 20-30 games.

I'd take Adams.
Reasonable defender.
How wrong we all were about the Bear!

In fact, as I go back over this thread, it is an embarrassment to a few of the impatient, disgruntled types who frequent these forums.

There is a great story behind most of our list - from Cox, to Stephenson, to Sier and the out of favour players like Howe and Dunn.
Even Pendles was not so favoured for pick 5, Beams was a steal at 28 and we won with his trade out too with (DeGoey/Greenwood/Crisp).
Guys like Langdon & Goldsack were taken at relatively late picks and have been good value.
Highly rated recruits from other clubs were prepared to buy in to the coach too - Adams, Treloar (Vic Under 16 team), WHE (Pies supporter), Howe (again a Bucks fan).
I'll also attribute Mayne and Wells as being the fault of Grubby Allan. Their selection OK, but the price/tenor negotiated by Allan was OTT
Considering Hine was doing talent identification (with Rendell) as well as list management (now Ned Guy) he is one of the absolute stars of our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back