Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok what if you aren't low carb?

And what happens to the excess protein once we hit the 30g/40g limit?

not being a smartarse.....genuinely interested, i won't pretend i know a whole lot of sciencey stuff!
Excess is explained above, it's pooled and held onto in the liver, and if you aren't low carb more would be stored as the liver works much harder on a low/lower carb diet.

Also i just finished watching the Layne Norton video above and he says exactly the same thing, its all pooled (stored) but 30-40g is the max out figure in one sitting for the average healthy male.

Not sure what all the confusion is about.

You absorb all the protein you eat. But you max out MPS at around 40g. The excess amino acids are used elsewhere. If you go insane and eat 200g worth of protein in one sitting, all that means is the excess amino acids are deaminated (nitrogen removed), the carbon skeleton most likely used for energy, and if there's too much nitrogen sitting around it'll be excreted as urea. worth noting this is an oversimplification as the processes happening in the body are never static (for example digestion takes time, steak digests slower than whey protein, so amino acids will hit the bloodstream at different rates, you could still be digesting your massive morning steak at dinner).

The point here is for amino acids to even enter the pool it has by definition been absorbed. If it's not absorbed you'd be shitting out whole proteins. And if you're shitting out whole proteins, your muscles should be the last thing you need to worry about lol.

TLDR = all proteins are absorbed, it just won't all be used to build your juicy moosles.

I always said there is no doubt there is an
Amount that is optimal, more isnt always better or more advstngoues.

But I disagree with those who say "anything after X amount isnt absorbed" almost alluding to anything after A certain amount is almost like some kind of free calories.

But I disagree with those who say "anything after X amount isnt absorbed" almost alluding to anything after A certain amount is almost like some kind of free calories.

I think it's more that a lot of people don't understand what absorption actually means (as that Norton extract said) and are just using it interchangeably for protein synthesis.

Well what's the sugar (natural and or fake) content per serve you eat and what's the daily recommended intake??
Those answers will then tell you if you're eating too much

This is my question though, natura greek yoghurt does have some sugars in it but I'm not sure if it is "real" or "fake".

Sorry, I meant to actually eat on the journey(s) lol.
I was thinking containers of cold cut meats

So far have gone with yoghurt, croissants, twix, a protein shake and emergency Doritos lol
Will try and work out something a bit 'better'

Eats mainly fish, red and white meat. Have veggies and salads with every meal. 1x whey shake a day.
Just curious if the amount I'm eating should be limited due to high sugar content ect.
Farmers Union natural yoghurt for the record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.farmersunionyogurt.com.au/products/#greek
SUbDPCv.png

Sugar content seems fine, equal parts sugar protein and 2x fat. Similar macro breakdown to cashew nuts

2hrs? 4hrs??? To get the most out of the protein you're consuming

Spacing protein meals out every 3-4 hours would be optimal for muscle protein synthesis within a 24-hour period. The peak in MPS following a protein meal returns to baseline at 2-3 hour mark. When it is at its peak even if you eat more protein or amino acids MPS won't increase further (called 'muscle-full effect').

So if you wanted optimal you'd wait long enough to make sure MPS drops off completely before you stimulate it again. There's a couple of study showing 4 × 20g whey protein every 3 hours is > 2 × 40g whey protein every 6 hours for MPS, so theoretically you don't want to wait too long, and extra feedings may be beneficial. Hence 3-4 hours.

BUT In real life the difference would probably be * all in all honesty. We can test MPs rate but we don't know at this stage for sure if short-term differences in MPS results in meaningful differences in actual muscle mass (in theory it should but who knows - if someone says they have a definite answer they're lying).

Most studies are also done using whey protein so whole foods would likely have a different effect like you suggested.

Getting enough protein over the day is always going to be >>> how you time protein. And if going for optimal timing makes life hard, then what's the point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also the whole 30-40g thing... the actual amount you need is based on your bodyweight. MPS is started by an amino acid called leucine (amino acids are what makes up protein). The amount of leucine needed per meal to max MPS is ~0.05g/kg body weight. Leucine-rich proteins are animal sources like whey, eggs, and meats. This is why I s**t on plant sources of protein so much because they tend to be much lower in leucine (fact, not my opinion).

If you math it out you'd probably get 30-40g of good quality proteins to hit your per meal leucine requirements. That's like 1-1 1/2 palm-sized servings of steak. In conclusion: the more you dig into nutrition the less you can enjoy your steak like a normal person. lol.

Edit. Also leucine alone is not enough to build muscle. It increases MPS but to build actual muscle you still need all the essential amino acids not just leucine.

Last edited:
i'm after a bit of advice re whey protein, i have been doing a lot of online research and whey seems to be what i need to combat lethargy and fatigue. i have what i consider a healthy diet ie. moderate LCHF. i do not take any supplements/vitamins/minerals ATM. a few questions-

1) is whey protein good for your average person (57 year old 185cm, 76kg, male) in the street? in addition to a healthy diet i also exercise regularly ie. high intensity cardio, body weight resistance regime.

2) i have concluded that i would be better off with the whey protein concentrate than the isolate version. any suggestions of what would be the best brand? i have decided on this- http://www.vitalityandwellness.com....rchID=94734476&ObjectID=5832360&ObjectType=27 unless a BF devotee can point out a better option.

3) any adverse side affects of whey that anyone may be aware of? i can not seem to find any that would be of major concern.

thanks in advance.

i'm after a bit of advice re whey protein, i have been doing a lot of online research and whey seems to be what i need to combat lethargy and fatigue. i have what i consider a healthy diet ie. moderate LCHF. i do not take any supplements/vitamins/minerals ATM. a few questions-

1) is whey protein good for your average person (57 year old 185cm, 76kg, male) in the street? in addition to a healthy diet i also exercise regularly ie. high intensity cardio, body weight resistance regime.

2) i have concluded that i would be better off with the whey protein concentrate than the isolate version. any suggestions of what would be the best brand? i have decided on this- http://www.vitalityandwellness.com....rchID=94734476&ObjectID=5832360&ObjectType=27 unless a BF devotee can point out a better option.

3) any adverse side affects of whey that anyone may be aware of? i can not seem to find any that would be of major concern.

thanks in advance.

You don't need protein supplements, the average joe can get in enough protein from diet alone......however people will use a protein powder for convenience, they may not have time to make/eat enough food. Having a protein drink straight after training is easier than eating food, also cost could be a factor $1-$2 per serve as opposed to buying food. Long story short, protein is good for you, a protein powder is more convenient than food, but not better or worse for you.

Bulknutrients is the way to go, very cost effective, Aussie company, very reliable and great tasting flavours

No adverse sides affects, but like anything more isn't always better. As long as your diet is balanced and you are getting in enough fibre you won't have issues with 'protein farts" as people believe.

Processed dead food. More work for the kidneys if u ask me.
yes i had thought (i have 40% kidney function) i could regulate the amount of protein that i consume though to keep it at safe levels. what would you suggest from the plant kingdom re energy levels, fatigue and lethargy? i get fatigued 2-3 hours after a cardio workout. greens/berries/banana in a smoothie with water is what i am consuming currently but it does not seem to be working for me.

maybe it's just old age:(.

yes i had thought (i have 40% kidney function) i could regulate the amount of protein that i consume though to keep it at safe levels. what would you suggest from the plant kingdom re energy levels, fatigue and lethargy? i get fatigued 2-3 hours after a cardio workout. greens/berries/banana in a smoothie with water is what i am consuming currently but it does not seem to be working for me.

maybe it's just old age:(.
It is hard to comment. I'm not sure where ur at and I'm no expert.

With the smoothies, maybe try half a banana, a good hand full of berries and lots of greens (baby spinach and leafy lettuces/herbs).

Lately I've been having smoothies with a hand full of blue berries, about half a banana and cramming the left over space with baby spinach and leafy lettuce/herby stuff. And just a small amount of rain water.

Three or less meals per day.. It's better for teeth and digestive system - rest and recovery.

Processed dead food. More work for the kidneys if u ask me.

Wtf?
Yeah, maybe if you have 200 grams in one sitting

I use whey
Why?
I cannot get enough protein in via food due to work and life etc
Two cups of whey twice a day is going to be better than eating proper processed dead food like chicken loaf ffs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back