nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Crystal palace, socceroos
This is a thread to talk about what you know (or don't know) about diet and nutrition; recommend documentaries or online lectures; perhaps other posters might convince us that our current ideas about nutrition are infact misguided

I watched fork over knives (which essentially was about endorsing the china study) last year which convinced me that the vegan diet was the healthiest diet and the way forward.... but have since been told that the china study has been debunked (will provide a link in the near future). However this person guiding me is convinced by the paleo diet so of naturally contrary to the ideas in the china study.

I'm obsessed by nutrition's impact brain function, i.e. the effect that nutrition has your mental health not to mention it's ability to prevent metabolic diseases and cancer. I know of a lecture that links schitzophrenia to food allergies, especially to gluten.

Not enough research has been done to categorically claim the diet humans should follow and it's probable that this would vary for groups of humans anyway - like the 'eat for your blood type' idea.

Even so, Nutrition is facinating and definitely worthy of a thread (or another one) ;)

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Whether the China Study is "debunked" or not is a bit irrelevant. It's a healthy diet. It's also evidently possible to have a healthy diet that also includes animal products. The statistical difference between various relatively good diets in terms of health outcomes would be pretty insignificant compared to a really bad diet, which are usually pretty easy to spot without massive studies.

Oct 16, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dimma's wife
I wanted this to have a nutrition focus rather than supplements because I like the idea that you don't need supplements with the right diet.

they were merged ages ago because

1) most people asking about supps don't know anything about diet
2) there isn't enough conversation about either topic for them to deserve their own thread
3) when they do have their own individual threads, they're more likely to disappear to the last page, then someone else makes another thread about it

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
This is a thread to talk about what you know (or don't know) about diet and nutrition; recommend documentaries or online lectures; perhaps other posters might convince us that our current ideas about nutrition are infact misguided

I watched fork over knives (which essentially was about endorsing the china study) last year which convinced me that the vegan diet was the healthiest diet and the way forward.... but have since been told that the china study has been debunked (will provide a link in the near future). However this person guiding me is convinced by the paleo diet so of naturally contrary to the ideas in the china study.

I'm obsessed by nutrition's impact brain function, i.e. the effect that nutrition has your mental health not to mention it's ability to prevent metabolic diseases and cancer. I know of a lecture that links schitzophrenia to food allergies, especially to gluten.

Not enough research has been done to categorically claim the diet humans should follow and it's probable that this would vary for groups of humans anyway - like the 'eat for your blood type' idea.

Even so, Nutrition is facinating and definitely worthy of a thread (or another one) ;)

Great topic to discuss, i was hoping something like this would start up as i have really gotten into diet and nutrition over the last 5 months. Mainly because for the first time in my life i was overweight through bad diet. I had a couple of mates on the paleo diet and gave it a go and has worked really well, and i have stuck with it since. I am not fanatical but follow the principles of it, mostly i have tried to cut out processed foods, junk food and SUGAR!

I did read the Paleo Diet by Robb Wolf and was an interesting read, he was a little bit hard line and the Paleo Diet for Athletes which is bit more relaxed. Have done a bit of reading through the internet and on here on all aspects of diet, nutrition, supplements, gym program, fasting etc. The one thing i find a bit a tricky is everyone has there say and there say is right, better than the rest. So i like to read multiple articles on the one topic and that helps to try and come to some common consensus, likewise with dieting i think it's important to import bit and pieces from all diets to get a well balanced diet which is a hybrid of others.

The one thing i find a bit a tricky is everyone has there say and there say is right, better than the rest. So i like to read multiple articles on the one topic and that helps to try and come to some common consensus, likewise with dieting i think it's important to import bit and pieces from all diets to get a well balanced diet which is a hybrid of others.

I agree. Make a hybrid of a few of the better more balanced approaches, and make one you can stick to.

The best diet/ way of eating is the one that suits you and is easy to stick with. There's no point making your life a misery. It's only eating after all.

that's why most people fail at sustained long term body weight recomposition. They are trying to shoehorn themselves into other peoples programs.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Great topic to discuss, i was hoping something like this would start up as i have really gotten into diet and nutrition over the last 5 months. Mainly because for the first time in my life i was overweight through bad diet. I had a couple of mates on the paleo diet and gave it a go and has worked really well, and i have stuck with it since. I am not fanatical but follow the principles of it, mostly i have tried to cut out processed foods, junk food and SUGAR!

I did read the Paleo Diet by Robb Wolf and was an interesting read, he was a little bit hard line and the Paleo Diet for Athletes which is bit more relaxed. Have done a bit of reading through the internet and on here on all aspects of diet, nutrition, supplements, gym program, fasting etc. The one thing i find a bit a tricky is everyone has there say and there say is right, better than the rest. So i like to read multiple articles on the one topic and that helps to try and come to some common consensus, likewise with dieting i think it's important to import bit and pieces from all diets to get a well balanced diet which is a hybrid of others.

Thanks saj, it's a topic close to my heart as well :)

If you're interested in paleo you might find this youtube link useful.

Ancestry foundation

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I agree. Make a hybrid of a few of the better more balanced approaches, and make one you can stick to.

The best diet/ way of eating is the one that suits you and is easy to stick with. There's no point making your life a misery. It's only eating after all.

that's why most people fail at sustained long term body weight recomposition. They are trying to shoehorn themselves into other peoples programs.

And unless you are really overweight one meal or cheat meal a week won't make you fat! I think it is still important to have a bit a chocolate or doughnut.

I have really gotten into making my own paleo cakes and biscuits as i have a real sweet tooth, but all in moderation.

I am somewhat experimenting at the moment how much and what food i can eat to maintain my weight.

Thanks saj, it's a topic close to my heart as well :)

If you're interested in paleo you might find this youtube link useful.

Ancestry foundation

Thanks will definitely check it out!

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
links or recipe? :)

Google can help you out, that is how i found all my recipes there are quite a few websites where there is plenty of recipes to try.

I made these the other night for pancake Tuesday;

1 ripe banana
1 egg
1 cup almond meal
1 cups of almond milk or water (add more if you need to)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder

fry with coconut oil

You can add blueberries (which i did) or dark choc chips. And i topped mine with some whipped coconut cream and strawberries.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Just googled the paleo diet and it turns out I've been eating pretty close to that without realising it.

I'm not too fussy away from home but at home I only really keep meat, veggies and fruit in the house. The only other things I eat regularly are eggs, oats and cottage cheese, and a couple of pieces of wholemeal toast in the mornings to hold my tuna.

It's working for me too. I'm eating slightly above maintenance during the week and then doing a 36hr fast once every eight days to strip the fat. I've lost another 2kgs in the last few weeks to go with the 5kgs I lost pre-xmas doing IF fast days. Despite the weight loss my lifts are all still going up and I can see noticeable muscle development, particularly in my shoulders and back.

The best thing is I have a complete lack of sweet tooth so I don't feel the slightest bit deprived, in fact getting to eat meat with every meal is a dream come true for my savoury loving tastebuds. The only thing I really miss is real cheese, but a bit of cottage cheese with every meal seems to contain the cravings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And unless you are really overweight one meal or cheat meal a week won't make you fat! I think it is still important to have a bit a chocolate or doughnut.
Yeah, a junk food meal here and there is absolutely fine. It's when you are eating it every day is the problem

The trouble with a lot junk, food, particularly the stuff made with high fructose corn syrup is that it confuses the body because it sends your insulin way up off the charts to cope with all the incoming sugar. The insulin over compensates and hour later you have low body sugar.

After my workout earlier today I bought a big mac value meal for my son and I as a treat( teachers strike today). Usually after a workout I have a huge bowl of oatmeal, scoop of whey, frozen berries, cup of low fat milk. Its 600-700 calories. The Big Mac value meal was like 900 calories I think. Trouble is, 45 minutes after the maccas meal I'm hungry again, whereas the oatmeal would've lasted me 3 or 4 hours easily.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Yeah, a junk food meal here and there is absolutely fine. It's when you are eating it every day is the problem

The trouble with a lot junk, food, particularly the stuff made with high fructose corn syrup is that it confuses the body because it sends your insulin way up off the charts to cope with all the incoming sugar. The insulin over compensates and hour later you have low body sugar.

After my workout earlier today I bought a big mac value meal for my son and I as a treat( teachers strike today). Usually after a workout I have a huge bowl of oatmeal, scoop of whey, frozen berries, cup of low fat milk. Its 600-700 calories. The Big Mac value meal was like 900 calories I think. Trouble is, 45 minutes after the maccas meal I'm hungry again, whereas the oatmeal would've lasted me 3 or 4 hours easily.

I see, i try and avoid sugar/simple carbs and stachy foods as much as i can. I find it can send me into an eating binge, partly becuase of my body but more so in the mind after eating sugar i crave more food. If i do want to eat some chocolate or a sweet/cake i have made i will eat it before dinner, hoping my dinner quenches my "thirst" for more food after having some sugar.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
The Warrior Diet is a good read except for I'd recommend your highest carb meal should be pre work out not post work out.
Post work carbs aren't needed , ditch'm & your fatloss & lean muscle gains will shyrocket.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Warrior diet is one of my favourite reads on nutrition too.

I have ordered a copy and will read it as quickly as i can. I also got a copy of Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon, halfway through that as we speak! I have also ordered a copy of good calories bad calories by Gary Taubes, plenty of reading to do.

One of the things i have added into my diet is Tulsi tea. Now i am not one of those dodgy types on here that is trying to (very wierdly mind you) promote and/or sell green tea. By this is very effective to take and reduce cortisol levels within the body. Cortisol is produced when stressed so its great to drink when you are feeling stressed, it also causes fat storage around the abdomen. Can also help with getting you off to and in a deep sleep.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Did you run out of toilet paper?

Not a fan? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Sometimes reading any book good, bad or indifferent still gives you information. If i read it and it is total rubbish doesn't mean i will believe what is written or take it for gospel.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I hadn't heard of Tulsi tea.... i'll definitely check that out. I worry about my cortisol levels being high.

You can buy it online or from any health food store, a pack of 18 can cost anywhere from $5 - $6 a pack. Does act as a diuretic so keep up the fluids as well.

As for paleo diet, i have whipped up some cauliflower rice, so simple, yet can give me my "rice" fix. A simple as breaking off as much cauliflower as you like, blend in a food processor for a minute or two. Put in fry pan with some coconut oil, add any spices you like and fry for 10 -12 mins on medium heat. All done!

For cauliflower mash, steam up cauliflower for 10-12 mins or until soft. Place into food processor with a splash of extra virgin olive oil, also add in any spices you like this occasion i added garlic and mixed herbs, add some butter and/or almond milk. Blend until it turns to mash.

lysp

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Not a fan? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Sometimes reading any book good, bad or indifferent still gives you information. If i read it and it is total rubbish doesn't mean i will believe what is written or take it for gospel.

Just personally not into authors who either try to sell you a diet or scare you into using their diet. Or diets that pick and choose small segments of studies/research to prove their theory. The whole sugar/fructose thing is one of those ones that try to scare people into following their way.

My opinion is many different diets work. Some work better for different people. Just gotta find which ones suit. A simple calorie counting diet with a calorie deficit will work for most people. Only time you may need to alter diets is once you start entering single digit body fat.

nicky

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
As for paleo diet, i have whipped up some cauliflower rice, so simple, yet can give me my "rice" fix. A simple as breaking off as much cauliflower as you like, blend in a food processor for a minute or two. Put in fry pan with some coconut oil, add any spices you like and fry for 10 -12 mins on medium heat. All done!

I just made this with spring onion, garlic and capsicum (a bit of corriander and chilli) and will eat with steamed broccoli and carrot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back