Diet and nutrition

Remove this Banner Ad

During my only healthy food experiment along with training harder I've noticed that I've surprisingly lost weight.

Started to eat a lot more today.

I don't think I really miss any junk food, at least nowhere nearly as much as I thought I might.

Maybe wouldn't mind some pizza, absolute favourite of mine.
I've started eating mixed bowls.

Fish
Gyozas (Probably more fatty than good)
Squid
Chips
Coleslaw mix and a bit of jarlesberg, or parmesan

goes down real good and real healthy especially on night shift as I don't need to eat much during the night.

May as well ask. I work out 5 days a week, been having one of these after a workout

Any good?

I know the body can only absorb so much protein, but I normally grab one of those just to make sure I'm getting enough in.

Or would I be better off with a shake of some sort?

I make my own protein balls, don't like the shakes. Basically I do a jar of the organic peanut butter, 80gm of protein powder, 1/4 cup of maple syrup and a pinch of salt, unless the peanut butter has salt in it, and cover in dark chocolate.

I usually have a handful of nuts as well, I think the balls only have like 15g of protein in them so try to make sure I'm getting a bit more.

I make my own protein balls, don't like the shakes. Basically I do a jar of the organic peanut butter, 80gm of protein powder, 1/4 cup of maple syrup and a pinch of salt, unless the peanut butter has salt in it, and cover in dark chocolate.

I usually have a handful of nuts as well, I think the balls only have like 15g of protein in them so try to make sure I'm getting a bit more.
I'm totally thinking about making a protein sponge cake. They're charging $8 for a small serving at the supermarket

Started Carnivore a few weeks ago, definitely feel better.

Transitioned over a couple of weeks and took me a week or so to settle on what to eat... in a typical day I will eat spread over 2 meals 1 (approx 400 gram) Rib Eye, 4 Lamb chops, 3-4 rashers of Bacon and 3-4 eggs, all cooked in tallow or lard with salt the only additive. I feel like I am slightly overeating with that, I will probably cut down to 1 major meal a day with a snack of a couple of fried eggs later in the day.

All meats are the fattiest cuts I can get from the local butcher.

Only drink water and drink a zero carb/sugar Electrolyte supplement during and after Hot Yoga/Pilates.

Last edited:
Started Carnivore a few weeks ago, definitely feel better.

Transitioned over a couple of weeks and took me a week or so to settle on what to eat... in a typical day I will eat spread over 2 meals 1 (approx 400 gram) Rib Eye, 4 Lamb chops, 3-4 rashers of Bacon and 3-4 eggs, all cooked in tallow or lard with salt the only additive. I feel like I am slightly overeating with that, I will probably cut down to 1 major meal a day with a snack of a couple of fried eggs later in the day.

All meats are the fattiest cuts I can get from the local butcher.

Only drink water and drink a zero carb/sugar Electrolyte supplement during and after Hot Yoga/Pilates.

That's so interesting. I don't know a heap of the carnivore diet, from what I understand it is really beneficial as an elimination diet with how it can help you figure out what is causing you problems in your diet.

My question is why can't you eat some salad etc now to supplement your diet?

That's so interesting. I don't know a heap of the carnivore diet, from what I understand it is really beneficial as an elimination diet with how it can help you figure out what is causing you problems in your diet.

My question is why can't you eat some salad etc now to supplement your diet?
Basically I am taking the word of doctors that I have researched online ie. Prof Bart Kay, Dr Anthony Chaffee, Dr Shawn Baker, Dr Gary Fettke. Plants contain toxins to deter animals from eating them. The western food/diet industry and it's regulatory bodies are bought and owned by vested interests eg. cereal industry/Coca Cola etc. The fruits of today are genetically designed to be a hell of a lot sweeter, bigger and to have a longer shelf life, they are nothing like wild fruits that our ancestors ate seasonally/rarely.

This video I have linked is very long(2hr 30min) but really covers all of this subject, also linked a short video that goes somewhat into captured regulatory bodies in the first few minutes, there is another longer video by Dr Fettke's wife online that delves right into the corrupt food industry.

As an aside I worked with Dr Fettke's father at Griffith University in the late 90s.

Last edited:
I'm dieting. The goal is to lose some excess fat and weight.

I've lost eight KGs in one month so far and I've been strict with what I'm eating.

In the past I've been told to stay away from carbs. I know protein is good and I've always included lots of that in my diet. I also know the lower the calories, the better (at least I think so).

My wife bought a couple of frozen meals when I told her I'm on a diet and I've been looking at these every couple of days in the freezer without actually knowing whether these are meals I should be having.

1707468604958.png
1707468776159.png

1707468796947.png

1707468815734.png

I keep being drawn to the high volume of carbs in these meals and that's the reason why I've been avoiding them. But at the same time, I've heard that having certain carbs isn't going to affect my weight loss goal.

I'd appreciate some guidance / advice here. Should I be steering clear of these meals?

I've lost eight KGs in one month so far and I've been strict with what I'm eating.

In the past I've been told to stay away from carbs. I know protein is good and I've always included lots of that in my diet. I also know the lower the calories, the better (at least I think so).

My wife bought a couple of frozen meals when I told her I'm on a diet and I've been looking at these every couple of days in the freezer without actually knowing whether these are meals I should be having.

View attachment 1901888
View attachment 1901891

View attachment 1901893

View attachment 1901894

I keep being drawn to the high volume of carbs in these meals and that's the reason why I've been avoiding them. But at the same time, I've heard that having certain carbs isn't going to affect my weight loss goal.

I'd appreciate some guidance / advice here. Should I be steering clear of these meals?
I'm 64 years old and have been experimenting with my diet on and off for decades, my current opinion is that Carbs/Sugar is a massive net negative for the human body.

A human can thrive on Protein and Fat alone but can not without one or both of them..... Carbohydrates are not an essential Macronutrient, many people thrive without it.

I've never trialled going full carnivore but I do try make that my default 'f**k it' days these days.

By that, I mean I try limit the damage of my lazy days by just wolfing down a whole Woolies chicken or a ridiculous amount of bacon and cheese for dinner. That's an improvement on buying crap with sugar I think.

But I notice I never feel as energetic the next day as I do when I eat a shiteload of vegies the day before.

There could be an element of fat vs carbs adaptation involved so I don't know if it would feel different on a longer timeline, but the diet doesn't feel particularly intuitive to me unless I was willing to eat a bunch of rich organ meat that doesn't present as very appetising.

I'm pretty open minded about diet though so maybe I'll give it a trial one day. 10 years ago I would have thought fasting was a ridiculous concept, now I couldn't imagine life without some form of IF.

View attachment 1901888
View attachment 1901891

View attachment 1901893

View attachment 1901894

Carbs aren't going to affect your weight loss at all. The total calories is the only thing that matters in regards to whether or not you will lose weight.

I dont know if I said it in this thread or another but I dont know where the myth that carbs = bad came from. There are bad foods such as sugar that are a carbohydrate but as a whole carbs are the main source of energy for us and are definitely not something to avoid.

Both those meals seem pretty fine if they satisfy you. Personally would probably prefer the chicken one as it has more than 2x the protein which will help in feeling fuller if you aren't eating as much as usual

Basically I am taking the word of doctors that I have researched online ie. Prof Bart Kay, Dr Anthony Chaffee, Dr Shawn Baker, Dr Gary Fettke. Plants contain toxins to deter animals from eating them. The western food/diet industry and it's regulatory bodies are bought and owned by vested interests eg. cereal industry/Coca Cola etc. The fruits of today are genetically designed to be a hell of a lot sweeter, bigger and to have a longer shelf life, they are nothing like wild fruits that our ancestors ate seasonally/rarely.

This video I have linked is very long(2hr 30min) but really covers all of this subject, also linked a short video that goes somewhat into captured regulatory bodies in the first few minutes, there is another longer video by Dr Fettke's wife online that delves right into the corrupt food industry.

As an aside I worked with Dr Fettke's father at Griffith University in the late 90s.

The meat industry is also quite a powerful lobby, so there's that.

The meat industry is also quite a powerful lobby, so there's that.
Agree, I have tried many dietary regimens over the years and weighing up all I have read and what I have done to my own body, IMO Carnivore is the way to go.... for me anyway.

The deciding factor was that I have come to the opinion that the human body does not need Carbohydrates/sugar to thrive and IMO it is a negative.

Also my brother is a type 1 diabetic, he went very low LCHF and more than halved his need for insulin injections, which got me thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, I have tried many dietary regimens over the years and weighing up all I have read and what I have done to my own body, IMO Carnivore is the way to go.... for me anyway.

The deciding factor was that I have come to the opinion that the human body does not need Carbohydrates/sugar to thrive and IMO it is a negative.

Also my brother is a type 1 diabetic, he went very low LCHF and more than halved his need for insulin injections, which got me thinking.

Bolded is the key IMO.

I've been a vegetarian for a long time now, it works well for me given the nature of how I live my life and the foods I enjoy eating.

The biggest thing with any diet is that it requires one to be mindful of what they're shoving in their mouth, so just by thinking about it, you're likely going to be improving it.

Being a diabetic is obviously a very different scenario to someone who isn't as well.

As an aside; I'd be very wary of anyone who condemns an entire macronutrient group, or food group like fruits or vegetables (or meat for that matter).

If the diet you're eating works for you and is a sustainable, long-term option then that's fantastic, but quotes like the below would be massive red flags for me if I was reading dietary advice from someone, and suggests to me you might want to broaden your sources;

Plants contain toxins to deter animals from eating them

The western food/diet industry and it's regulatory bodies are bought and owned by vested interests

The fruits of today are genetically designed

the corrupt food industry

Bolded is the key IMO.

I've been a vegetarian for a long time now, it works well for me given the nature of how I live my life and the foods I enjoy eating.

The biggest thing with any diet is that it requires one to be mindful of what they're shoving in their mouth, so just by thinking about it, you're likely going to be improving it.

Being a diabetic is obviously a very different scenario to someone who isn't as well.

As an aside; I'd be very wary of anyone who condemns an entire macronutrient group, or food group like fruits or vegetables (or meat for that matter).

If the diet you're eating works for you and is a sustainable, long-term option then that's fantastic, but quotes like the below would be massive red flags for me if I was reading dietary advice from someone, and suggests to me you might want to broaden your sources;
I have looked into those quotes from me quite extensively, if you are interested and have the time the long video I linked(#5631) explains it all a lot better than I could in a Big Footy discussion. Dr Fettke is brilliant... IMO.

FWIW even staunch Carnivore doctors that I have mentioned in my post you quoted say that Vegetarian/Vegan diets are a hell of a lot better than the "normal" Western junk/takeaway/highly processed type diet and you will see noticeable improvement when you start. They just don't think it is sustainable long term(a few say 3-5 years) for optimal health.

As you say each to their own, I wish you good health.

I have looked into those quotes from me quite extensively, if you are interested and have the time the long video I linked(#5631) explains it all a lot better than I could in a Big Footy discussion. Dr Fettke is brilliant... IMO.

FWIW even staunch Carnivore doctors that I have mentioned in my post you quoted say that Vegetarian/Vegan diets are a hell of a lot better than the "normal" Western junk/takeaway/highly processed type diet and you will see noticeable improvement when you start. They just don't think it is sustainable long term(a few say 3-5 years) for optimal health.

As you say each to their own, I wish you good health.

I've been vegetarian for close to 15 years now 🤷‍♂️ It's pretty easy given the vast array of food we have access to in the modern world, which is something that's often lost when discussing these things. I'd generally encourage people to cook more at home and think a little more about what they're eating as a pretty easy pathway to improving what they're doing.

Fettke appears to have been providing that advice for very specific reasons (treatment of patients with diabetes) and it's been taken further and out of context. He also appears to advocate eating vegetables which would be at-odds with your earlier claims.

Patients with diabetes are a highly specific group, and what is the 'best' diet for a diabetic person is a very different thing to someone without diabetes. It would be like saying the best diet for a nut allergic person is therefore the best diet for everyone, it's a flawed statement.

As I said; if the carnivore diet is something that works for you and is sustainable that's fantastic, but I'd be extremely wary of anyone who condemns an entire macronutrient or food group, or who makes value judgements on food regulatory bodies for only some groups but not others. These kinds of views very quickly become about following a belief system more than about the value of the diet itself.

I've been vegetarian for close to 15 years now 🤷‍♂️ It's pretty easy given the vast array of food we have access to in the modern world, which is something that's often lost when discussing these things. I'd generally encourage people to cook more at home and think a little more about what they're eating as a pretty easy pathway to improving what they're doing.

Fettke appears to have been providing that advice for very specific reasons (treatment of patients with diabetes) and it's been taken further and out of context. He also appears to advocate eating vegetables which would be at-odds with your earlier claims.

Patients with diabetes are a highly specific group, and what is the 'best' diet for a diabetic person is a very different thing to someone without diabetes. It would be like saying the best diet for a nut allergic person is therefore the best diet for everyone, it's a flawed statement.

As I said; if the carnivore diet is something that works for you and is sustainable that's fantastic, but I'd be extremely wary of anyone who condemns an entire macronutrient or food group, or who makes value judgements on food regulatory bodies for only some groups but not others. These kinds of views very quickly become about following a belief system more than about the value of the diet itself.
Fair enough, Fettke eats vegetables reluctantly/not very often, he mentioned in that video it's to keep his wife happy, I know his father and know some family history, have not met Dr Fettke himself though.

I have tried just about every diet imaginable except for full on vegan over the last 40 years, up until a year or so ago I'd spend $60-70 week on fruit and eat a good amount of vegetables every day, plenty of yoghurt, milk. Have stayed away from red meat but most of the time have at least eaten some chicken/lamb/fish.

Even at this early stage(about a month in) I feel fantastic on Carnivore, I have been fanatical about it though, eating nothing but beef, pork, lamb, bacon, eggs and salt. I plan to experiment with it in the future though, might give it 6 months and then slowly introduce some treats/vices that I get cravings for eg. milkshakes, dark chocolate, mangoes.

BTW one side effect from going Carnivore that I wasn't aware would happen and was quite worried about early on is that I do not defecate anywhere near as much as I did pre Carnivore. Pre I would go like clockwork every morning and a large amount, now I would go every 3-4 days and not much at all.. I am definitely not constipated. I have found from multiple sources that this is because meat is so nutrient dense that the body absorbs a large portion of it and hence there is a lot less waste to be excreted.

I will leave it there, we are not going to convince anyone to change their dietary habits on here, all the best.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back