Diet, Supplements and Enhancers

Remove this Banner Ad

Found capsule creatine nitrate (as opposed to monohydrate) online.
Will trial and report back.

First test passed - didn’t give me the shits 30 minutes after consuming like powdered creatine.

Anyone tried keto style diet while training? I'd be worried about training capacity on such low carbs. I'm used to high carb diets from a history of endurance sports.

why do you want try to keto?

personally I tried it and hated it

Am worried about hating it too. Would give it a go for the supposed health benefits and general feeling of well-being.

keto isn’t magic and don’t see how wiping out food groups maximises health benefits

just eliminating overly processed food is a better option as well as maintaining calories at a level to suit your goals

I'm keto. I agree that it's not magic unless, like me, you're diabetic. That's the main reason I'm on it. If you do give it a go don't just give it a couple of weeks before you decide it's crap. It takes quite a while to become fully adapted.

I'm keto. I agree that it's not magic unless, like me, you're diabetic. That's the main reason I'm on it. If you do give it a go don't just give it a couple of weeks before you decide it's crap. It takes quite a while to become fully adapted.
My brother is a type 1 diabetic and went on a strict low carb diet a couple of years ago and he said it is the best thing he has ever done for his health, cut his injections by 3/4, is down to a normal body weight and doesn't have any highs and lows like he used to.

I find Keto + IF (16/8) great during Spring / Summer to get leaner and stay lean, but I know that's mostly due to I find it easier to restrict calories (and feel more sated for the same amount versus eating more carbs). There's no magic of consume 6000 calories a day doing Keto and still lose weight.

Competed at 85kg whilst following a keto diet. 212.5kg/155kg/260kg raw. Past 8 months or so changed to low carb - tripled 255kg deadlift last month. That said I’ve decided to add in white rice, sweet potato and orange juice now (before and post training). I expect my lifts to go up. At the end of the day, a calorie is a calorie - it’s just following a keto diet is easy.

Competed at 85kg whilst following a keto diet. 212.5kg/155kg/260kg raw. Past 8 months or so changed to low carb - tripled 255kg deadlift last month. That said I’ve decided to add in white rice, sweet potato and orange juice now (before and post training). I expect my lifts to go up. At the end of the day, a calorie is a calorie - it’s just following a keto diet is easy.
Very solid numbers for your weight

How tall are you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very solid numbers for your weight

How tall are you?

178.5cm and don’t have a build which accommodates the squat. Probably need to be circa 110kg at my height to get best leverages. Got as heavy as 104kg some years back but got sick of the weight/fat and hence I used low carb/keto to slowly get down to 85kg. Was pretty easy to follow - no calorie counting, just meat, greens, nuts, eggs, water and black coffee.

178.5cm and don’t have a build which accommodates the squat. Probably need to be circa 110kg at my height to get best leverages. Got as heavy as 104kg some years back but got sick of the weight/fat and hence I used low carb/keto to slowly get down to 85kg. Was pretty easy to follow - no calorie counting, just meat, greens, nuts, eggs, water and black coffee.
Nice mate, I never took it seriously unlike one of my brothers, but did a few macro cycles as part of my training for footy/cricket. Deadlifts never felt proper heavy for me until I had to lift about 180kg.

What type of numbers would you need to be hitting to be really competitive if you competed at say 93kg?

Yeah I've slashed my carbs in half this year and really upped my protein intake, lost nearly 10kgs.

Nice mate, I never took it seriously unlike one of my brothers, but did a few macro cycles as part of my training for footy/cricket. Deadlifts never felt proper heavy for me until I had to lift about 180kg.

What type of numbers would you need to be hitting to be really competitive if you competed at say 93kg?

Yeah I've slashed my carbs in half this year and really upped my protein intake, lost nearly 10kgs.

depending on who you’re competing with (tested & no wraps vs untested & wraps) you’d possibly be looking at squats & deads in the 300s and benches in the 200s for international level.
For reference the 90kg WR in the less restrictive categories are 390 sq, 260 bp and a 400 dl (allowing some margin of error for my conversion from pounds to kg)

Apologies in advance for a question undoubtedly answered elsewhere in this thread.

I'm mid-aged, been using lockdown as an opportunity to exercise like I'm 20 years-old again. I used to box, so I hit bags, floor-to-ceiling ball, skip, bit of running, and mix it with small sessions of free weights.

I've lost plenty of weight, built up lean muscle, but exercising most days is taking a toll on muscles.

I live with a vegetarian, and someone recommended whey to me in order to help repair muscle and increase muscle mass (but not too much).

I'm a long-winded f***. Anyway: any recommendations about particular brands/products?

Apologies in advance for a question undoubtedly answered elsewhere in this thread.

I'm mid-aged, been using lockdown as an opportunity to exercise like I'm 20 years-old again. I used to box, so I hit bags, floor-to-ceiling ball, skip, bit of running, and mix it with small sessions of free weights.

I've lost plenty of weight, built up lean muscle, but exercising most days is taking a toll on muscles.

I live with a vegetarian, and someone recommended whey to me in order to help repair muscle and increase muscle mass (but not too much).

I'm a long-winded f***. Anyway: any recommendations about particular brands/products?
Recovery is paramount. A few years ago I read Body by Science and since then I have gone to the gym (except for last few months obviously) only once a fortnight and completed a 'to fail' workout (mostly on machines) - 4 specific to upper body, 2 specific to lower body, one specific to abs, and one (with bar and weights) specific to lower back. The rest of the time I just do fairly irregular light to medium aerobic work, with the occasionaly heavy work around property. During lock down I have reverted to doing a weekly bout of 125 'keep the knees over the ankles' full squats, and I still do fairly irregular light to medium aerobic work, with the occasionaly heavy work around property.
I have excellent at rest heart rate, physical stamina, and strength. I am 59. I am only sore after 'to fail' workout for from 2 to 4 days.

Finished my bag of Bulk Nutrients thermo-protein stuff, going to order something similar, also looking at getting creatine. I've heard Creapure is the gold standard as far as creatine goes, can get that from bulkpowder but I was keen to stick with bulk nutrients. Would a complete novice notice the difference between Creapure and Bulk's monohydrate version?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back