Diet, Supplements and Enhancers

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Nutrition

lebron won't go to the knicks

good food plan though

lol lets hope he does.

yeah 1 day on the weekend i will eat what i want though and i will throw in Amino Acid tablets and HMB tablets depending on what im doing

Height, weight, body fat?

im 5ft 7 inches. weigh 72kgs, body fat last time i checked was 15% but its a lot less then that now. I was originally 64kg and got to 76kg before my back injury and then it all turned to flab really so now just getting back into it.

basically i can put weight on really quick so im pretty careful with what i eat and how i train. i cant afford to get as bulky as i use to due to a back injury so my cardio now consists of mainly power walking and my weights i do either sitting down or laying on my back so im limited in what i do and plus if i put on too much weight it affects my back.

Breakfast: 6 vitabrits with regular milk

Dinner: ~330g mixed vegetables plus ~200g red meat (usually blade steak)

In between:

Any combination of the following snacks

* Two slices of toast (usually wholemeal) with ~100g cheap-ass tuna and sliced tomato and pepper

* Two slices of toast (as above) with 4 poached (in microwave) eggs (two per slice)

* Cheap-ass peanuts and fruit (usually banana, apple, orange)

-----------

As a uni student, I can eat 'lunch' and so forth whenever I want. So on training days I will have the eggs after my workout, but some days I skip the eggs altogether. If I am naughty I will have a home-brand meat pie, as there is a bit of protein in them and they taste delicious. Also, as a student living away from home, I have to eat cheap. By following the above and only buying cheap brands I can spend very little on my groceries and, IMO, still get all the nutrition I need.

The diet above is hard to follow on days where I work (at a fast-food place) as my shifts are 5 hours, at night, and I don't really get enough of a break to make any of that stuff. Am planning on buying some protein and making juice-protein blends to take with me but in the interim usually buy one cheseburger with extra patty for $3 every shift. Yummy.

178cm, 85kgs. Can press 90kgs for 6 real reps. Trying to lose about 5kgs by Christmas so I have been strictly following that diet and will until I am down to 80kgs. A hamstring injury is holding me back but consarned I will get there.

:thumbsu:

Stop blowing your $$ on booze and you'll be able to afford more food! :D

:D

Believe it or not, my booze consumption has dropped dramatically over the last few months, initially due to study workload but then I just got used to not being hungover. Unfortunately other things have taken its place...

Even when I did buy a lot of grog it was just goon so it didn't really cost me much at all. Even these days, if I am heading out to the city, I load up on goon beforehand (and on the train) so as to avoid having to pay ridiculous prices for alcohol in the city.

:thumbsu:

do people still drink goon?

goon.jpg

Food for thought:

Myth: Heart disease in America is caused by consumption of cholesterol and saturated fat from animal products.

Truth: During the period of rapid increase in heart disease (1920-1960), American consumption of animal fats declined but consumption of hydrogenated and industrially processed vegetable fats increased dramatically. (USDA-HNI)

Myth: Saturated fat clogs arteries.

Truth: The fatty acids found in artery clogs are mostly unsaturated (74%) of which 41% are polyunsaturated. (Lancet 1994 344:1195)

Myth: Vegetarianism is healthy.

Truth: The annual all-cause death rate of vegetarian men is slightly more than that of non-vegetarian men (.93% vs .89%); the annual death rate of vegetarian women is significantly more than that of non-vegetarian women (.86% vs .54%) (Am J Clin Nutr 1982 36:873)

Myth: Vitamin B12 can be obtained from certain plant sources such as blue-green algae and soy products.

Truth: Vitamin B12 is not absorbed from plant sources. Modern soy products increase the body's need for B12. (Soybeans: Chemistry & Technology Vol 1 1972)

Myth: For good health, serum cholesterol should be less than 180 mg/dl.

Truth: The all-cause death rate is higher in individuals with cholesterol levels lower than 180 mg/dl. (Circulation 1992 86:3:1026-1029)

Myth: Animal fats cause cancer and heart disease.

Truth: Animal fats contain many nutrients that protect against cancer and heart disease; elevated rates of cancer and heart disease are associated with consumption of large amounts of vegetable oils. (Fed Proc July 1978 37:2215)

Myth: Children benefit from a low-fat diet.

Truth: Children on low-fat diets suffer from growth problems, failure to thrive & learning disabilities. (Food Chem News 10/3/94)

Myth: A low-fat diet will make you "feel better . . . and increase your joy of living."

Truth: Low-fat diets are associated with increased rates of depression, psychological problems, fatigue, violence and suicide. (Lancet 3/21/92 v339)

Myth: To avoid heart disease, we should use margarine instead of butter.

Truth: Margarine eaters have twice the rate of heart disease as butter eaters. (Nutrition Week 3/22/91 21:12)

Myth: Americans do not consume enough essential fatty acids.

Truth: Americans consume far too much of one kind of EFA (omega-6 EFAs found in most polyunsaturated vegetable oils) but not enough of another kind of EFA (omega-3 EFAs found in fish, fish oils, eggs from properly fed chickens, dark green vegetables and herbs, and oils from certain seeds such as flax and chia, nuts such as walnuts and in small amounts in all whole grains.) (Am J Clin Nutr 1991 54:438-63)

Myth: A vegetarian diet will protect you against atherosclerosis.

Truth: The International Atherosclerosis Project found that vegetarians had just as much atherosclerosis as meat eaters. (Lab Invest 1968 18:498)

Myth: Low-fat diets prevent breast cancer.

Truth: A recent study found that women on very low-fat diets (less than 20%) had the same rate of breast cancer as women who consumed large amounts of fat. (NEJM 2/8/96)

Myth: The "cave man diet" was low in fat.

Truth: Throughout the world, primitive peoples sought out and consumed fat from fish and shellfish, water fowl, sea mammals, land birds, insects, reptiles, rodents, bears, dogs, pigs, cattle, sheep, goats, game, eggs, nuts and milk products. (Abrams, Food & Evolution 1987)

Myth: Coconut oil causes heart disease.

Truth: When coconut oil was fed as 7% of energy to patients recovering from heart attacks, the patients had greater improvement compared to untreated controls, and no difference compared to patents treated with corn or safflower oils. Populations that consume coconut oil have low rates of heart disease. Coconut oil may also be one of the most useful oils to prevent heart disease because of its antiviral and antimicrobial characteristics. (JAMA 1967 202:1119-1123; Am J Clin Nutr 1981 34:1552)

Myth: Saturated fats inhibit production of anti-inflammatory prostaglandins.

Truth: Saturated fats actually improve the production of all prostaglandins by facilitating the conversion of essential fatty acids. (Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation Journal 20:3)

Myth: Arachidonic acid in foods like liver, butter and egg yolks causes production of "bad" inflammatory prostaglandins.

Truth: Series 2 prostaglandins that the body makes from arachidonic acid both encourage and inhibit inflammation under appropriate circumstances. Arachidonic acid is vital for the function of the brain and nervous system. (Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation Journal 20:3)

Myth: Beef causes colon cancer

Truth: Argentina, with higher beef consumption, has lower rates of colon cancer than the US. Mormons have lower rates of colon cancer than vegetarian Seventh Day Adventists (Cancer Res 35:3513 1975)

http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtnutrition.html

9am: Breakfast, usually 4 weetbix with sultanas or 4 crumpets with jam and honey

11am: 3-6 squiggle biscuits or tim tams

2pm: lunch 2 chicken and salad rolls with an apple and banana

7pm: dinner; either chicken parma, spaghetti bolognese, 6 sausages and rice, fish and chips, 3 chicken and salad burgers (with lettuce, capscum, hommus, carrot, olives...molto bene).

Throw in some assorted crap in there somewhere (more biscuits, chips, fruit, soup etc)

Sorry guys, no protein shakes

Re: Protein & Other Supplements

if your gaining fat around the middle then it's a sure sign of carb sensitivity in that you don't handle them well...you'll need to cut them a little except for breakfast and post workout meal but otherwise stick to fruit and veg..also add more healthy fats which also helps with this (fish oil)

that's part of it but maybe tour diet and program is not up to par either...

G'day Guys

I have found some good motivation into the workout circuit as of late, as with the nutrition side of things,
and im looking at adding a protein supplement to my diet to help muscle mass and recovery and was wanting your thoughts on:
Horleys Ice Whey Protein.
http://www.thesupplementden.com.au/shop/horleys-ice-whey-132kg.html

I have never taken protein before,
but it seems like a good product from what i have heard.
Not cheap however as it is one of the purest proteins out there .. but is it worth its price tag? Or better off going for a less pure protein at a cheaper price. Any thoughts on this product or a better option appreciated.

Cheers.

price is alright and it seems alright but don't bother too much with what one you get, i simply get the biggest tub for the cheapest price and rarely get the same brand twice

powder won;t make or break your training

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if you're not eating in the frst place then powder is the last thing you should be looking at

Unless you're an elite athlete I wouldn't even waste the money. It's hilarious watching blokes who have been in the gym a couple of weeks with their shakers full of powder.

Just eat good food.

Unless you're an elite athlete I wouldn't even waste the money. It's hilarious watching blokes who have been in the gym a couple of weeks with their shakers full of powder.

Just eat good food.

I've found that the effect it has on these people is more psychological than anything else. If that powder is what it takes to get them motivated, then good on em. Personally, I can't even afford the stuff :p

if you're not eating in the frst place then powder is the last thing you should be looking at

Agreed.. however protein supplements are often convinient and can address specific needs in your diet.. as long as they are used as a 'supplement' and not a total replacement its all good.

Just eat good food.

Disagree.

Newbies can benefit from certain supplements be it after two days, two weeks or two months.

Just eat good food.

Whey Protein Powder Absorption = 30 odd minutes

Protein Food Absorption = 1.5 hours plus (chicken/fish)

So the Whey Protein, a very convenient an easy drink to consume after training gets the protein (amino acids) to your muscles almost immediately when you need it and that's the reason it is used!

Food alone does not provide the body with enough protein on a daily basis. Even if u walked around eating only chicken breasts and cans of tuna all day it would not surfice when working out consistently. Whey protein is the best way to go from what I have been told and have read thru my own reaserch.

i eat 8 times a day with solid food protein at every meal...i'm not getting enough protein?

i use powder but to get my protein levels up but for the fast absorption after wt workouts

the thing is 16yr olds having 3 shakes a day and think they're on top of it and posting whether concentrate is better then isolate when they eat 1 other meal for the day (macca's) and are permanently glued to the bench press and preacher curl machine

they're got better things to worry about then powder

Whomb I am just reiterating what my dietician was talking to me about. She told me that for a female it is hard to consume enough protein on a daily basis to increase muscle mass. When is enough enough? Well I would surmise that it is different for each person - and as you mentioned you can consume however need to be mindful that you arent putting on fat.
Exaggerating for effect? Low blow mate.... LOL. Ok no worries

Sorry Whomb I wasnt having a go I was just being sarcastic, you're points are right I was just saying that trying to get all ure protein from food is difficult.
Fair discussion and I appreciate the info you have posted.

Are you being serious Sam?

I have 2 protein shakes a day but only first thing in the morning (when my body is depleted from protein so i get my quick fix) and after training to allow my muscles to absorb the protein immediately.

All you need is six protein meals a day to reach your protein needs which can be anywhere from 1* your bodyweight to 2.5* your body weight.

Also why would you ever listen to a female?

And if you want more info simply look it up there are about 15 different forums made solely for bodybuilders and the information in all of them is ridiculously detailed. I'd suggest you have a look!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back